Skip to Main Content

Foreign Language Study

Santander 2Students majoring in International Studies must successfully complete foreign language coursework through the intermediate level (or demonstrate equivalent proficiency). Students should begin working as early as possible toward the completion of this requirement. 

Placement and Retroactive Credit in Chinese, Spanish and French  

Those with previous experience in Chinese, French or Spanish may be able to skip coursework, and optionally receive credit for some of the courses bypassed, by placing at a higher level. 


To take the free online placement test in French or Spanish, contact the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures. If you have studied Chinese in the past, please contact Professor Yongan Wu


Studying Languages Other than Chinese, French and Spanish

The Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures has degree programs and full-time faculty in Chinese, French and Spanish. Those languages are therefore taught consistently through the intermediate level at UNF. Students who desire to pursue coursework in a language besides Chinese, French or Spanish must first meet with Dr. Patricia Geesey, the chair of Languages, Literatures and Cultures, for guidance and approval. Such a student must also complete and submit the document titled "Request for Permission to Fulfill International Studies Language Requirement with a Language Other than Chinese, French or Spanish" found on the Forms page of the International Studies Program website prior to beginning such language study.

Foreign Language Study Abroad 

The Department of Language, Literatures and Cultures offers study abroad immersion programs each summer in ChinaFrance and Spain
Each program bears six credit hours, and participants generally need only one additional upper-level course to complete the minor in the respective language.  
Students in the France and Spain programs live with host families.   

For more information, contact the corresponding faculty leader: Yongan Wu, associate professor of Chinese; Shira Schwam-Baird, professor of French; and Nuria Ibáñez, associate professor of Spanish.    

Note: Students who desire to pursue language coursework abroad through programs other than these three UNF programs should see the Note Regarding Language Coursework Taken Abroad for more guidance.



Courses for Native/Heritage Speakers of Spanish 

Native/heritage speakers of Spanish should consider the following courses, which address linguistic and cultural topics of interest to Hispanics in the United States: 
For more information, contact  Constanza López, associate professor of Spanish. 

Minoring/Double Majoring in a Foreign Language 

A degree in International Studies is in many ways incomplete without documented language ability.
Minors in ChineseFrench and Spanish at UNF require only three upper-level courses after Intermediate II. Any student (including native/heritage speakers) who places at the 3000-level can complete the minor in the respective language by passing just three 3000/4000-level courses and requesting retroactive credit for the intermediate level.  
Those minoring in Chinese, French or Spanish (or double-majoring in International Studies and either Spanish or French Studies) can potentially double-count up to four upper-level courses (12 credit hours) toward the completion of that minor/major and the major in International Studies.  
For further assistance, contact Patricia Geesey, chair, Languages, Literatures and Cultures, and professor of French; Clayton McCarl, associate professor of Spanish; or Yongan Wu, associate professor of Chinese.