Skip to Main Content
passport with a plane ticket

Advising Checklist for International Studies Majors

Have you taken INS3003 Introduction to International Studies? 

If you started at UNF in Fall 2017 or later, this course is a requirement for you. You should take it as early as possible—ideally in your first or second semester at UNF. It is the best way to get on track for success in this major.

Have you met the International Educational Experience requirement?

If not, contact Lauren Hodge, study abroad coordinator, to explore your options (58E/2300, 904–620–2657). If you would like to meet this requirement
by doing an internship for credit locally, elsewhere in the US, or abroad, contact Dr. Clayton McCarl, director of the International Studies Program, for guidance. 

Have you met the foreign language requirement? 

If not, contact Dr. Patricia Geesey, chair of the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures, for information on placement tests and retroactive credit (10/2425, 904–620–1246). If you would like to attempt to meet this requirement by demonstrating existing proficiency in a language, please contact Dr. Geesey for guidance.

Are you double–counting courses?

You may double–count up to 12 credits toward both the major in International Studies and another major or minor. In some cases, this allows students to graduate earlier than they anticipated, or to add an additional major or minor with little additional coursework. This is particularly true of the majors that most overlap with International Studies, including Anthropology, French Studies, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Religious Studies and Spanish. Contact David Kersey in COAS Academic Advising for assistance (51/2500, 904–620–2797). 

Are you minoring in a foreign language? 

A minor in Chinese, French or Spanish requires just three upper–level classes after intermediate II. You are not required to minor in a foreign language, but many International Studies students do so without adding much, or any, additional coursework. Upper–level foreign–language courses can potentially be double–counted as major electives for International Studies. The Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures offers summer study abroad programs in China, France and Spain, all of which involve upper–level coursework. Contact Dr. McCarl for guidance.

Have you met with David Kersey recently? 

If not, make an appointment with him now to review your degree evaluation and plan your remaining coursework.