Chemistry Faculty: Amy Lane, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Office: Science & Engineering (Building 50), Room 3114
Lab: Science & Engineering (Building 50), Room 3106
Phone: (904) 620-2315
Areas of Expertise
Natural products, also known as secondary metabolites, are organic molecules without a recognizable function in growth, development, or reproduction of the producing organism. Research in a range of interconnected scientific fields has resulted in discovery of unusual secondary metabolites with immense clinical utility, development of nature-inspired organic synthesis routes, understanding of genes directing biosynthesis of natural products, and insights into intriguing enzymes employed in formation of these molecules.
Dr. Amy Lane's group is carrying out both basic and applied scientific studies on a variety of topics related to natural products.
Our major interests include:
- Exploration of understudied genera of marine microorganisms as sources of new human drugs. We are especially interested in discovering new compounds with potential utility as antibacterial (antibiofilm) or anticancer drugs. We are tackling this challenge using a combined chemical-genetic approach, employing genetic information from marine microorganisms as a tool for guiding discovery of new natural products.
- Probing the ecological function of marine microbial natural products. While the biomedical utility of marine natural products is widely recognized, the basic ecological functions of these compounds are far less explored. We are working to understand the fundamental adaptive roles played by compounds produced by marine organisms, with a special focus on chemically-mediated interactions among marine microorganisms.
- Revealing the genetic and enzymatic basis for biosynthesis of structurally unusual marine natural products. This knowledge holds great potential for development of chemoenzymatic syntheses and fully exploiting the potential of marine microorganisms as sources of biologically active molecules.
For more information about research interests of the Lane Lab and to learn how to join the team, check out http://www.unf.edu/~amy.lane
||Research Image and Areas of Interest
Natural Products Infographic Info:
The following things all go into "Natural Products"
- Organic Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Molecular Biology
Bachelor of Science (Summa Cum Laude) - Indiana State University 2003
Ph.D. - Georgia Institute of Technology 2008 - Organic/Biochemistry
Postdoctoral Research - Scripps Institution of Oceanography at University of California - San Diego 2008-2010
- Kolodny NH, Bauer D, Bryce K, Klucevsek K, Lane A, Medeiros L, Mercer W, Moin S, Park D, Peterson J, Wright J, Yuen C, Wolfson AJ, Allen MM. (2006) Effect of nitrogen source on cyanophycin synthesis in Synechocystis sp. strain PCC 6308. Journal of Bacteriology. 188: 934-940.
- Lane AL, Kubanek J. (2006) Structure-activity relationship of chemical defenses from the freshwater plant Micranthemum umbrosum. Phytochemistry. 67: 1224-1231.
- Lane AL, Stout EP, Hay ME, Prusak AC, Hardcastle K, Fairchild CR, Aalbersberg W, Kubanek J. (2007) Callophycoic acids and callophycols from the Fijian red alga Callophycus serratus. Journal of Organic Chemistry. 72: 7343-7351.
- Jiang RW, Lane AL, Mylacraine L, Hardcastle KI, Fairchild CR, Aalbersberg W, Hay ME, Kubanek J. (2008) Structures and absolute configurations of sulfate-conjugated triterpenoids including an antifungal chemical defense of the green macroalga Tydemania expeditionis. Journal of Natural Products. 71: 1616-1619.
- Lane AL, Kubanek J. (2008) Secondary metabolite defenses against pathogens and biofoulers. Invited review. In Algal Chemical Ecology. C.D. Amsler, Ed. Springer-Verlag. pp. 229-243.
- Stout EP, Hasemeyer A, Lane AL, Davenport T, Engel S, Hay ME, Fairchild CR, Prudhomme J, Le Roch K, Aalbersberg W, Kubanek J. (2009) Antibacterial neurymenolides from the Fijian red alga Neurymenia fraxinifolia. Organic Letters. 11: 225-228.
- Lane AL, Stout EP, Lin AS, Prudhomme J, Le Roch K, Fairchild CR, Franzblau SG, Hay ME, Aalbersberg W, Kubanek J. (2009) Antimalarial bromophycolides J-Q from the Fijian red alga Callophycus serratus. Journal of Organic Chemistry. 74: 2736-2742.
- Nyadong L, Hohenstein EG, Galhena AS, Lane AL, Kubanek J, Sherrill CD, Fernandez FM. (2009) Reactive desorption electrospray ionization mass spectrometry (DESI MS) of natural products of a marine alga. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry. 394: 245-254
- Lane AL, Nyadong L, Galhena AS, Shearer TL, Stout EP, Parry RM, Kwasnik M, Wang M, Hay ME, Fernandez FM, Kubanek J. (2009) Desorption electrospray ionization mass spectrometry reveals surface-mediated antifungal chemical defense of a tropical seaweed. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 106: 7314-7319.
Cover feature: "Seaweed employs distributed chemical defense." http://www.pnas.org/content/106/18/7265
- Whalen KE, Lane AL, Kubanek J, Hahn ME. (2010) Biochemical warfare on the reef: The role of glutathione transferases in consumer tolerance of dietary prostaglandins. PLoS One. 5(1): e8537.
- Lane AL, Mular L, Drenkard EJ, Shearer TL, Engel S, Fredericq S, Fairchild CR, Prudhomme J, Le Roch K, Hay ME, Aalbersberg W, Kubanek J. (2010) Ecological leads for natural product discovery: Novel sesquiterpene hydroquinones from the red alga Peyssonnelia sp. Tetrahedron. 66: 455-461.
- Lane AL, Moore BS. (2011) A sea of biosynthesis: Marine natural products meet the molecular age. Natural Product Reports. 28: 411-428.
- Abdul-Hay SO, Lane AL, Caulfield TR, Claussin C, Bertrand J, Masson A, Choudhry S, Fauq AH, Maharvi GM, Leissring MA. (2013) Optimization of peptide hydroxamate inhibitors of insulin-degrading enzyme reveals marked substrate selectivity. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 56: 2246-2255.
- Lane AL, Nam SJ, Fukuda T, Yamanaka K, Kauffman CA, Jensen PR, Fenical W, Moore BS. (2013) Structures and comparative characterization of biosynthetic gene clusters for cyanosporasides, enediyne-derived natural products from marine actinomycetes. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 135: 4171-4174.
- Kersten R, Lane AL, Nett M, Richter TKS, Duggan BM, Dorrestein PC, Moore BS. (2013) Bioactivity-guided genome mining reveals the lomaiviticin biosynthetic gene cluster in Salinispora tropica. ChemBioChem. 14: 955-962.
- Lane AL, Mandelare PE, Ban YH. New developments in NMR methodologies with special roles in the drug discovery process. In: Structure-Activity Relationship Studies in Drug Development by NMR Spectroscopy, Volume II. Choudhary AUR and Iqbal M, Eds. Bentham eBook. Accepted.
- Xu M, Hillwig ML, Lane AL, Tiernan MS, Moore BS, Peters RJ. Characterization of an orphan diterpenoid biosynthetic operon from Salinispora arenicola. Journal of Natural Products. Submitted.
- Peterson M, Lane AL, Ahearn GA. Analysis of glycylsarcosine transport by lobster intestine using gas chromatography. Journal of Comparative Physiology - B. Submitted.