Skip to Main Content

Taking a course at another institution (Transient or Concurrent Enrollment)

Can I take classes at another school?

Yes, students may attend other schools as a transient or concurrent enrolled student, BUT WITH STRICT LIMITATIONS and PRIOR APPROVAL. Please see your academic advisor. It is recommended that you contact the other school to find out their registration requirements and deadlines.


Transient forms can be completed electronically for Florida State schools. These forms will be routed to your college for an advisor's approval, the Registrar for certification, and to the school you indicate you will attend. You will be updated of the status of this application by UNF e-mail. (For out-of-state or private schools you must use the Concurrent/Transient Student Form.)


Upon finishing the course, we require that an official transcript be sent to us so that the course can be applied to your transcript. Please visit the Registrar's office where you are attending and submit a request to send your transcript to One-Stop Student Services. Sometimes you can submit this request online.

How do I take a class at another school?

All College of Arts and Sciences students interested in taking a course at another school must submit an electronic transient form for approval to the College of Arts and Sciences (see instructions above & below).

Step 1: Set your FloridaShines PIN

  1. Login to the myWings student portal
  2. Select the Student tab
  3. Select Student Self Services from the My Records channel
  4. Select Student Records from the Student Services menu
  5. Select FloridaShines PIN Management from the Student Records menu
  6. Enter your new PIN and select Update

Step 2: Access the FloridaShines Transient Student Admission Application

  1. Go to
  2. Hover over the Succeed in College icon
  3. Select Take a Course at Another School
  4. Read the Transient Student Admission Application instructions and select start or check the status of your Transient Student Admission Application now
  5. Select UNF as your Home Institution
  6. Enter your UNF Student ID Number and PIN. Select Continue.

Step 3: Complete the Florida Virtual Campus Transient Student Admission Application

  1. Read the Transient Student Admission Application introduction before selecting Next
  2. Select the UNF college of your major from the drop-down list of schools or colleges and then select Next. If you are a freshman or a sophomore with an exploratory major, please select ACE as your college of choice. Honors students under 60 credits must submit the form to the Honors program.
  3. Complete the Transient Student Admission Application
  4. Answer two Financial Aid questions:
    • Have you been approved to receive financial aid and do you intend to use it for the requested course(s)?
    • Do you want to proceed with the Transient Student Admission Application if you or any of the requested courses are not approved for financial aid?
    • The answers to these questions cannot be changed once the application has been submitted. You will need to submit a new application to make corrections or changes.
  5. Once complete, the application will be routed to:
    • Your UNF advisor for review and approval
    • The UNF Registrar's Office
    • The Office of Student Financial Aid (if requested)
    • The Host Institution you have requested to attend

Step 4: Track the Status of your Application

  1. Log back into your FloridaShines Application
  2. Check for Academic Advisor Authorization, signature from the college and date
  3. Check for Registrar Certification, with signature and date
  4. Check for Financial Aid Authorization, if requested, with signature and date
  5. Check for certification from Host Institution Registrar
  6. Check for Admissions Authorization from the Host Institution

You will receive email updates as it is approved by each department.

Does submitting the transient application take care of my registration and payment at the transient institution?

No. After your transient form has been approved, you will still need to:

  • Register and pay for the course at the transient institution
  • You may also need to provide additional information to the transient institution (like a UNF transcript)
  • If you plan to use financial aid to cover any portion of the cost for transient hours, contact One-Stop for the appropriate guidelines

What else should I know about the process?

Please be aware that by taking a course at another institution, you may not be allowed to register for a course at UNF until the grade is posted, if it is needed as a pre-req. A grade of C or better is required unless a higher grade is indicated. If a student chooses to take a prerequisite course at another institution, permission to take the subsequent course may be given, but if an official final grade of a "C" or better (unless the individual course requires a higher grade) is not received by the start of the following term you may be administratively withdrawn due to lacking the pre-requisite.


If the course is not degree applicable, your financial aid may not cover the cost. You will need to contact the financial aid office for questions and clarification.


Please note that you must meet all prerequisites for your desired course at the transient institution.

Are there any courses I can't take at another school?

All Upper level courses to be used in a major or minor MUST be preapproved by the appropriate Department Chair before an Academic Advisor can approve it. Transfer is limited to 6 credit hours or 2 courses within the Major (this includes all core, major, major electives and required minor courses of the degree evaluation). All courses that transfer must have a grade of "C" or better unless otherwise indicated.


Students are not allowed to take courses at another institution in their final semester at UNF. This policy includes correspondence courses and CLEP examinations. If taking a course in your final semester is your only option, work with your advisor regarding final transfer transcript deadlines. See your advisor for more clarification and any questions you may have. If you are about to graduate and are using this course as one of your requirements, we cannot clear you for graduation until the final official transcript is received showing the grade in this course.