Skip to Main Content
social sciences building

COAS Advising Frequently Asked Questions

How can I make an appointment to see an advisor?

How can I request to take a course at another institution?

  • For concurrent enrollment, you must complete the transient student form at prior to enrolling at the other institution.
  • Note: If you are attempting to take a 3000/4000 level course you must obtain permission from the Chair of the department first. Instructions on how to complete the transient student request.

When do I need to declare my major or minor?

  • You should declare a major by the time you move to sophomore standing (at least 30 hours total). Please be aware though of any selective admissions policies for your intended major. Those programs can be found here: Controlled Access Programs
  • A minor should ideally be declared at the same time you declare your major, but no later than the semester before graduation, preferably by the time you reach senior standing (90 hours total with at least 30 hours at the 3000/4000 level). Please note that some minors cannot be completed in one academic year due to course sequencing restrictions.

What are the different majors and minors that I can declare?

What is the difference between a double major and a dual degree?

  • Double Majors: Double Majors are earning a combination of either two Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science Degrees. Double Majors do not need to declare a minor, but must still meet all the requirements of the majors. A course taken to fulfill a major requirement for the primary major may not count again to meet a requirement for the secondary major. (120 hours total).
  • Dual degrees: A simultaneous or dual degree student is defined as one who completes requirements for two different degrees simultaneously whether in the same college or across colleges, e.g., earning a BFA degree while also earning a BA degree, or a BS degree and a BBA degree, etc.

    Students in the College of Arts and Sciences may pursue two simultaneous/dual undergraduate degrees across colleges if the second college agrees to the arrangement.

When do I talk to my Department Chair vs. an Advisor?

A student's first line of action is their designated Academic Advisor to define the needs and work with the student through the Department(s).


An Advisor may refer a student to the Chair for a variety of reasons, a few of which include when a student is returning from Suspension, when transfer coursework needs to be reviewed by the department to see which courses can transfer into the major, when a student is having a dispute with a professor, or if a student is in need of a substitute course to allow them to graduate in a particular semester.

What are free electives?

Free electives are course that students take (in addition to courses required for their major, minor, general education, and other requirements) to satisfy their overall degree requirements.


All students completing a degree in the College of Arts and Sciences are required to have 120 total hours with at least 48 of those hours at the 3000/4000 level. Free electives are used to meet the 120 total hour and 48 upper-level hour requirements. You need as many free electives it takes to reach these totals.


Please visit the following link for a full description of what free electives are.  

Do I need to apply for graduation? When?

Yes, there is a designated date range at the beginning of each semester to allow a student to apply online for graduation at the end of that term. It is important to apply during this time as it allows your advisor to identify possible areas of concern and work with the student to address them in order to graduate. You may apply online in myWings by signing into Student Self-Service, then selecting Student Records, then Graduation Application. If you are applying after the deadline, please see your academic advisor to complete a paper Graduation Application. Failure to apply for graduation on time may result in your receiving a reduced number of commencement tickets, affect your ability to graduate that term and can result in a delay in receiving your diploma.

How do I find my Degree Evaluation?

Degree evaluation: myWings - Student (TAB) - My Records - Degree Evaluation - Curriculum Info (If accurate Major click on hyperlink…If not 'View Previous Evaluation' click on Most recent) - Click on 'Detail Requirements View' - Submit


Degree Evaluation Webpage

Do I need a minor?

Some degrees require minors, some do not. Consult the course catalog or your degree evaluation for information about your specific degree.

Do I need to take classes over summer?

Pursuant to the Florida Board of Governors regulation 6.016 Summer Session Enrollment, all students entering a university in the State University System with fewer than 60 semester hours shall be required to earn at least nine semester credit hours in one or more summer sessions at one of the state universities in Florida before graduation. The University president or his designee may waive the application of this regulation in cases of unusual hardship to the individual.

For students who enter the university with 60 or more credit hours, summer attendance is optional.

When is the best time to meet with my advisor and how often should I meet?

The best time to meet with your advisor is as soon as the next semester's schedule is published, when you are planning your future registration. You should meet before registration however, to confirm whether or not the classes you have chosen are degree applicable, and if you have fulfilled all the prerequisite requirements.

Should I see only the advisor liaison for my major?

Yes! We recommend that you see only your advisor liaison because the liaison is fully knowledgeable of all the idiosyncrasies of the major and possesses in-depth information about the curriculum. In the event your advisor is absent for an extended amount of time, provisions will be made for an interim advisor to provide advising services to you.

When can I register for classes?

Each semester, you will receive a "Time Ticket" through your myWings account for the specific time that registration opens for you. Beyond that, you can register during Open Registration. Refer to the Academic Calendar for the date registration time tickets are issued. To locate your registration time ticket:

  • Log in to your myWings student portal
  • Select the Student tab
  • Select the Registration Status link in the Registration Tools and Resources channel
  • Select the term and then Submit

What kinds of registration error messages could I encounter during registration and how do I go about clearing them?

The majority of registration holds will be a prerequisite error.


The other main registration error seen is a departmental error, which typically means that you need special permission from the department to register for the course. For these, you must contact the department which offers the course in order to have the hold potentially lifted.


For all other types of registration errors, please visit the following link for more information: Registration Add Errors.

What is the difference between "dropping" a class vs. "withdrawing" from it? And can I drop or withdraw from a class at any time during the semester?

Classes can only be 'dropped' (meaning erased completely from your schedule) from the time you register for a class up until the end of the first week of school for that class (five days into the semester). After this period, a student may only withdraw from a class from the day after the drop period up to the deadline specified for that semester. Withdrawal deadlines generally occur about 2/3 of the way through a semester. Though a withdrawn course will appear on the transcript (notated with a "W" grade), it does not have an impact on GPA.


For more information about the difference between dropping a class vs. withdrawing from a class, click here: Registration Guide. More information about the withdrawal policy and how many withdrawals are allowed during a student's career at UNF

Can I ever meet with a professor in my department or my department chair?

Yes. You can see a professor during their office hours, or schedule an appointment with them. If there is a pressing issue that has not been resolved by you and the professor, you can then contact the chair of the department and schedule a meeting with him/her to discuss it.

What is the difference between foreign culture and cultural diversity courses?

  1. Cultural Diversity: The primary focus is the exploration of diversity in the context of its topic, and will incorporate a significant amount of comparison and contrast with the students' own cultures.
  2. Foreign Culture: The goal is that students begin to think from a point of view beyond that of their own culture. Foreign culture courses explore one or several cultures in depth, including the perspective of the people themselves.

Will I have to take any foreign language classes in college?

It depends. If you did not have two consecutive years of a foreign language in High School then you will need to take a language sequence worth 8 credit hours at the University, or take the CLEP foreign language examination.


If you did have two years of foreign language in High School, then whether you will have to take additional language courses depends upon your major. Language requirements vary by degree, so consult the course catalog, or check your degree evaluation for specifics.


All BA (Bachelor of Arts) majors in the College of Arts and Sciences have to take either Foreign Culture classes or they can choose to complete a foreign language sequence at the college level. The Foreign Cultures option however is only available to those students who had two years of a consecutive foreign language in High School. More information on the Foreign Language/Foreign Culture requirement.

How do I join student organizations related to my major?

Not every major has student organizations, groups or clubs. You may click on the link below to see a listing of these clubs or groups offered at UNF. If you do not find a club of interest at UNF you may petition to start a club by contacting the CA Director, at


For more information, click this link:

How many hours do I need to graduate?

All College of Art and Science (COAS) degrees require a minimum of 120 credit hours total, of which 48 hours must be at the 3000/4000 level (upper level). In the link below you will find all other minimum degree requirements needed to graduate with a baccalaureate degree from COAS.


For more information, click this link:

I don't live on campus but I see where I have a "residency requirement" on my degree evaluation. What does this mean?

The residency requirement is not in reference to living on campus, but it is in reference to the number of credit hours that a student must take at UNF in order to be granted a degree from UNF. Students are required to complete at least 30 of their 48 upper level hours "in residence" at UNF.

How do I calculate my major GPA?

To calculate your GPA, you must find the sum of the grade points earned and divide this by the number of UNF credits attempted (always exclude hours with grades of X, I, P, NR, W and WP and hours repeated for which grade forgiveness has been applied).


Grade points: A = 4.0, A- = 3.7, B+ = 3.3, B = 3.0, B- = 2.7, C+ = 2.3, C = 2.0, D = 1.0, F/WF = 0.0


For Example:
Course Grade Grade Points Credits Total Points
CCJ 3023 A 4.0 3 12.0
SYD 3800 C 2.0 3 6.0
POS 3713 B 3.0 3 9.0
EXP 3412 D 1.0 3 3.0


Total = 30


30 grade points divided by 12 credits attempted equals to a 2.5 GPA.


To calculate your cumulative GPA, you can repeat the above example using all your courses. To access the GPA calculator tool (which can be used to assess "what-if" scenarios with your UNF gpa), log into Mywings --> Student Self Service --> Student Records --> GPA Calculator.

How can I get a copy of the university catalog?

The University Catalog is now available in online form only. To view or to print out selected pages from it, please visit the catalog website at

Career Related Questions

Can I get career counseling in my major field?

Yes. Career Services offers a variety of resources including career counseling, resume review, and mock interviews. Contact Career Services at 904-620-2955 to set an appointment with a career coordinator to discuss your career plans.

What can I do with an Arts and Sciences degree?

Career Services provides various web resources to help you "Explore" career options for your major: . The following webpage, "What Can I Do With Major?" will get you started with information for an Arts and Sciences major:

When should I start looking for a job?

For your first "professional" full-time job, you should "actively" start sending out your resumes the beginning of your last semester. Employers want graduates with "relevant" experience in their field of study! Internships are a must!! Attend job fairs, employer panels, workshops, and more!

How do I create a resume?

Call 904-620-2955 and schedule an appointment with a Career Coordinator; bring a draft of your resume and job descriptions you want to pursue. Walk-in hours are also available but are subject to change!