Online Medical Billing and Coding Course
Train to be a Certified Medical Billing and Coding Specialist
Medical billing and coding is one of the fastest growing work-from-home careers in the healthcare field! This 100% online course will prepare you for the Certified Professional Coder (CPC) exam, offered by the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). You’ll learn how to use the Healthcare Common procedure Coding System (HCPCS) and the CPT Category II and ICD-10 codes.
Job Outlook for Medical Billing and Coding Specialists
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), medical billing and coding specialists earn an average annual salary of $40,350 and work in one of the fastest growing professions.
The BLS also estimates that at least 27,000 new jobs will be needed in this profession by 2026.
- Learn how the CPT Category II codes and ICD-10 codes work and how to assign them in common medical billing and coding procedures.
- Be fully prepared to sit for the CPC exam, offered by the American Academy of Professional Coders.
Prerequisites and Requirements
- There are no prerequisites to take this course.
- MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY
Learn common medical terminology of the body and how it relates to diagnostic procedures, nuclear medicine and pharmacology
- INTRODUCTION TO MEDICAL BILLING AND CODING
Overview of medical billing and coding in today’s healthcare system
- HEALTHCARE LAW
How HIPAA, the False Claims Act and the Stark Law protect health information
- INTRODUCTION TO HEALTH INSURANCE TERMS
Health insurance terms, healthcare provider terms and third-party reimbursement methods
- PHARMACOLOGY FOR CODERS
Definition of pharmacology, drug classifications and routes of administration
Overview of ICD-10-CM, as well as coding guidelines, conventions and steps for assigning ICD-10-CM codes
- CPT AND HCPCS LEVEL II CODING
How the Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) and CPT Code Book work, and steps for assigning CPT and HCPCS Level II codes
- ABSTRACTING INFORMATION FROM MEDICAL DOCUMENTS
Coding from soap notes, consultation reports, operative reports, emergency room records and procedure reports
- NEW PATIENTS, INSURANCE CLAIMS AND EOBS
Electronic, paper and hybrid medical records, practice management software and developing insurance claims
- SUBMITTING ELECTRONIC CLAIMS AND CMS 1500
Electronic Data Interchange (EDI), electronic claims submission and the National Uniform Claim Committee
- BLUE CROSS/BLUE SHIELD
Working with participating and nonparticipating providers
Understanding Medicare, parts A, B, C and D
- OTHER HEALTHCARE PROGRAMS
Medicaid, TRICARE, CHAMPVA and workers' compensation
- ICD-10-PCS (OPTIONAL LESSON)
Overview, code structure and definitions of ICD-10-PCS
- SURVEY OF HOSPITAL BILLING
Hospital revenue cycle, chargemaster, master patient index and prospective payment systems
- CAREER ROADMAP FOR MEDICAL BILLING AND CODING – FIND A JOB FAST
Marketing your skills and talents, creating a résumé and cover letter, interviewing and salary negotiation
Registration and Enrollment
- This course is 100% online. Start anytime.