Spring 2012 School of Computing Symposium
Friday, April 20, 2012 from 5:30 PM to 7 PM
UNF university Center
About the Event
The School of Computing Student Symposium was held on Friday, April 20, 2012 from 5:30pm to 7:00pm in the UNF University Center. The symposium was attended by over 145 people, including UNF students, Faculty & Staff, and local community members. About 85 students participated as presenters.
The symposium featured current undergraduate and graduate students involved in course projects, thesis projects, and other types of research projects. Students shared their work via poster presentations. This event provided opportunity to have one-on-one interaction with our students and feedback on their work.
The event was free and open to the public. Light refreshments were served.
If you attended, please provide feedback on the event.
Event Location and Parking
UNF University Center
12000 Alumni Drive
Jacksonville, FL 32224 - 2678
The University Center offers complimentary parking to all event attendees. You find driving instructions at the below link:
Special thanks to our corporate sponsors, ICS (http://www.icsfl.com/) and TEKsystems (http://www.teksystems.com/), for supporting our students in this event.
During the event, each attendee was provided with five "smiley stickers" during check-in. Attendees placed smiley stickers to posters they felt deserve special recognition.
Winners of the symposium were decided based on the number of stickers received. Winners of the symposium received cash prizes and award certificates.
- First Place Overall Winner (Prize - $200)
- Poster Title: VLC - The Next Wave of Wireless Communication
- Presenters: Erick Douglas, Nihar Goswami, and Chad Parmenter
- Second Place Overall Winner (Prize - $100)
- Poster Title: Volunteer Management Systems for Helping Hands
- Presenters: Evgeniya Bell, Carlos Calzadilla, Mary Lawrence, and Adamou Siddo
- Third Place Overall Winner (Prize - $50)
- Poster Title: Would you like to share your location?
- Presenters: Cody Ayers, Thomas Kroning, Miguel Perez, and Muhammad Saulat
Honorable Mention Winners
Seven posters were recognized with honorable mention award for best-in-class poster presentation. Honorable mention winners received $50 cash prize and award certificate. See below of list of honorable mention award winners:
- Poster Title: Volunteer Management Systems for United Way
- Presenters: Eric Bondi, Randall Grice, David Majcher, Gerardo Ornelas, and Marcus Toms
- Poster Title: A-3: Advanced Aerial Assault
- Presenters: Evan Sharp, Lauren Spradlin, and Nathaniel Swanson
- Poster Title: Using secret text and images in audio files
- Presenters: Marion Collins and Joshua Asencio
- Poster Title: UNF Ferret Fetch
- Presenters: Daniel Nicolay, Eugenio Fiallos, Lauren Spradlin, and Tonya Triay
- Poster Title: Zaapf
- Presenters: Adam Lankford, Raymond McDermott, Geoffrey Wark, and Cuong Vo
- Poster Title: RFID in the construction industry
- Presenters: Lukas Brabanski, and Demian Rosenkranz
- Poster Title: My Resume
- Presenters: Javon Green and Donald Smith
All symposium student presenters received a participation certificate.
Past Student Symposium
Fall 2011 SoC Student Symposium
Logo courtesy of Gerardo Ornelas.