Program Description for Computing & Info Sciences
Major: Computing & Info Sciences
Concentration: Information Sys/Business Minor
Degree: Bachelor of Science
The Bachelor of Science in Computing & Information Sciences requires 120 total credits that include a minimum of 54 upper-level credits.
School of Computing Policies
- All courses must be completed with a grade of C or better unless noted otherwise.
- Once enrolled at UNF, all remaining prerequisite courses and major/minor requirements must be completed at UNF.
- Satisfactory Progress Policy
- The School of Computing enforces the "one repeat" rule for all prerequisite and core courses offered by the School for its major programs.
- Students who do not successfully complete a prerequisite or core requirement for a School of Computing major on the first attempt due to earning a grade of D, F, W, WP, or WF will be granted one chance to repeat the course.
- Students who do not successfully complete the aforementioned course on the second attempt will be blocked from registering for courses offered by the School of Computing in future semesters.
- This policy applies whether or not the student has declared a major in a School of Computing program.
- Exit Requirements
- Proficiency in a high-level programming language.
- Proficiency in oral communication. To demonstrate satisfactory oral communication skills, students must deliver up to two presentations in an upper-level course offered by the School of Computing. If the first presentation is satisfactory, the second presentation will be waived.
Prerequisites (24 credits)
Information System Prerequisites: (8 Courses - 24 Credits)
ACG2021 Prin of Financial Accounting (3 Credits)
ACG2071 Prin Managerial Accounting (3 Credits)
ECO2013 Principles of Macroeconomics (3 Credits)
ECO2023 Principles of Microeconomics (3 Credits)
STA2023 (GM) Elem Statistics-Business (3 Credits)
STA2023 is preferred. STA2122 may be used.
MAC2233 (GM)Calculus for Business (3 Credits)
MAC2311 Calculus I is an acceptable substitute.
CGS1570 Microcomputer Applica Software (3 Credits)
CGS1570 is preferred. CGS1100 or CGS1060 may be used.
COP2551 Introduction to OO Programming (3 Credits)
High level programming language is required. JAVA is used in subsequent UNF courses and is highly recommended.
Foundation (13 credits)
Information Systems Foundation: (4 Courses - 13 Credits)
SPEECH Select SPC course
SPC4064 Public Speaking for Professionals is recommended.
COP2010 Intro to Visual Proc Prog (3 Credits)
C# is preferred and will be used in subsequent courses.
COT3100 Computational Structures (3 Credits)
COP3855 Web Systems Development (4 Credits)
Core Requirements (22 credits)
Information Systems Core Requirements: (7 Courses - 22 Credits)
COP3538 Data Structures Using OOP (4 Credits)
COP4640 Operating Systems Environments (3 Credits)
ISM4011 Intro Management Info Systems (3 Credits)
MAN3025 Administrative Management (3 Credits)
FIN3403 Financial Management (3 Credits)
CIS3253 GW-Legal Ethical Iss in Comput (3 Credits)
COP4813 Internet Programming (3 Credits)
Major Requirements (12 credits)
Information Systems/Science Major Requirements: (4 Courses - 12 Credits)
COP4720 Database Systems (3 Credits)
CIS4327 Information Syst Sr Project I (3 Credits)
CIS4328 Information Syst Sr Project II (3 Credits)
CNT4504 Computer Networks (3 Credits)
Major Electives (9 credits)
Information Systems Major Electives: (3 Courses - 9 Credits)
SELECT 9 credits of electives
Elective options include
- CAP4770 Data Mining (3)
- CAP4774 Data Warehousing (4)
- COP4723 Database Admin (4)
- COP4722 Database Systems II (3)
- CDA3101 Intro to Comp Hardware Org (3)
- CDA3101L Intro to Comp Hardware Org Lab (1)
- CDA4010 Human Factors (3)
- CEN4801 Systems Integration (3)
- CIS4100 System Performance/Eval (3)
- CIS4360 Intro to Computer Security (3)
- CIS4615 Evaluating Software for Security (3)
- CIS4365 Security Policies/Disaster Prep (3)
- CIS4366 Computer Forensics (3)
- CIS4364 Info Systems Intrustion Detection (3)
- CIS4510 Expert Systems/Decision Support (3)
- CNT4406 Network Security/Management (3)
- CNT4704 Network Design/Planning (3)
- CEN4535C Dev Gaming and Mobile Apps (4)
- CNT4514C Wireless Networking (4)
- COP3543 Enterprise Computing (3)
- COT4560 Applied Graph Theory (3)
- COT4470 Music Informatics (3)
- CIS4362 Computer Cryptography (3)
- MAN4082 E-Business Strategy (3)
- MAN4583 Project Management (3)
- CIS4900 Directed Independent Study cannot be used to satisfy elective requirements without prior approval from the Director of the School of Computing.
Minor Electives (6 credits)
Information Systems Minor Electives: (2 Courses - 6 Credits)
SELECT 6 credits of minor electives
- BUL3130 Legal Environments of Business (3)
- MAN3504 Operations Management (3)
- MAR3023 Principles of Marketing
A total of 12 upper-level hours of business courses must be completed at UNF.
Computer and Information Sciences Oral Exit Requirement: All computing majors must deliver up to two spoken presentations in upper-level computing courses for the evaluation of presentation skills. If the first presentation is satisfactory, then the second evaluated presentation will be waived.
Electives (120 credits)
In order to graduate with a bachelor's degree, 120 total credit hours must be earned.
ANY-LEVEL Free Electives For 120 Hours
Electives (54 credits)
In order to graduate with a bachelor's degree, 54 upper-level hours must be earned.
UPPERLEVEL Free Electives From UpperLevel