Program Description for Mechanical Engineering
Major: Mechanical Engineering
Degree: Bachelor of Science
Prerequisites (27 credits)
A grade of C+ or higher is required in all prerequisite coursework.
CHM2045+L General Chem I + Lab (3+1)
- CHS1440 may be substituted for CHM2045. If CHS1440 is 4 credits and includes a lab, it may be used in place of CHM2045C/CHM2045+L.
MAC2311 (GM) Calculus I (4 Credits)
- Students must complete pre-calculus at the college level with a "C" or higher to take Calculus I.
- MAC2281 may be substituted for MAC2311.
MAC2312 (GM) Calculus II (4 Credits)
- MAC2282 may be subsituted for MAC2312.
MAC2313 (GM) Calculus III (4 Credits)
- MAC2283 may be substituted for MAC2313.
MAP2302 (GM) Ordinary Differ Equations (3 Credits)
- MAP2305 may be substituted for MAP2302.
PHY1041+L Phys for Engin I + Lab (3+1)
- Students who did not successfully complete high school physics must complete PHY1020 Introduction to Physics and PHY1020L Introduction to Physics Lab with a "C" or higher before completing Calculus Physics I.
- Calculus-Based Physics has an addition prerequisite of Calculus I and a co-requisite of Calculus II.
- PHY2048C may be substituted for the lecture and lab.
- PHY2043 may be substituted for the lecture.
PHY2042+L Phys for Engin II + Lab (3+1)
- PHY2049C may be substituted for the lecture and lab.
- PHY2044 may be substituted for the lecture.
Foundation (14 credits)
Mechanical Engineering Foundation (5 Courses - 14 Credits)
COP2220 Computer Science I (3 Credits)
EEL3111 Circuit Analysis I (3 Credits)
EGN1001C Introduction to Engineering I (2 Credits)
EGN3311 Statics (3 Credits)
STA3032 (GM) Prob/Statistics for Engrs (3 Credits)
Core Requirements (19 credits)
Mechanical Engineering Core (6 Courses - 19 Credits)
EGN3203 Modern Computational Methods (3 Credits)
EGN3321 Dynamics (3 Credits)
EGN3331 Strength of Materials (3 Credits)
EML3100 Thermodynamics I (3 Credits)
EML4551 Senior Capstone Design I (3 Credits)
EML4552 Senior Capstone Design II (4 Credits)
Major Requirements (35 credits)
Mechanical Engineering Major Requirements (14 Courses - 35 Credits)
EMA3010 Intro to Materials Science (3 Credits)
EML3015 Fluids (3 Credits)
EML3101 Thermodynamics II (3 Credits)
EML3535C Modern Engineering CAD (2 Credits)
EML4004L Energy Systems Lab (1 Credit)
EML4126 Transport Phenomena (3 Credits)
EML4140 Heat Transfer (3 Credits)
EML4301L Mechanical Systems Laboratory (1 Credit)
EML4304L Fluid Mechanics Lab (1 Credit)
EML4312 Model/Analysis Dynamic Systems (3 Credits)
EML4313 Control of Machinery (3 Credits)
EML4320C Integrated Design/Manufacture (3 Credits)
EML4501 Machine Design (3 Credits)
EML4507C Finite Element Model/Analysis (3 Credits)
Technical Electives (9 credits)
Mechanical Engineering Technical Electives (9 Credits)
SELECT 9 credits from the list below:
- EML3553 Project Engineering (3)
- EML4016 Advanced Fluids (3)
- EML4414 Heat Power Engineering (3)
- EML4048 Simulation of Production Systems (3)
- EML4544 Materials and Handling I (3)
- EML4601 HVAC Systems (3)
- EML4622 Clean & Renewable Energy Tech (3)
- EML4804 Mechatronics (3)
- EML4806 Robotics Engineering (3)
- EML4905 Directed Independent Study (1-3)
- EML4911 Supervised Undergraduate Research (1-3)
- EML4421 Internal Combustion Engines (3)
- EML4930 Special Topics: Mech Engineering (1-3)
- EML4949 Co-Op Work Experience (0-1)
- EGN4042 Problem Solving and Continuous Improvement Methods in Engineering (3)
- EML4421 Internal Combustion Engines (3)
- MAS3105 Linear Algebra (4)
- Mechanical Engineering Graduate Level Courses (1-9)*
Up to 9 credit hours of graduate level course work may be used towards technical electives at the undergraduate level. Students wishing to take graduate credits while in undergraduate status must receive approval from the School of Engineering Director prior to registering for the graduate level course(s). A grade of C or higher must be earned in the graduate level course(s) to satisfy technical elective requirements.
No additional hours should be necessary. If necessary, select additional courses to attain a total of 128 hours. This area may include hours at any level (1000-4000).
ANY-HOURS FREE ELECTIVES (1000-4000)