Program Description for Civil Engineering
Major: Civil Engineering
Concentration: Coastal and Port Engineering
Degree: Bachelor of Science
Prerequisites (27 credits)
A grade of C+ or higher is required in all prerequisite coursework.
CHM2045+L General Chem I + Lab (3+1)
- CHS1440 may be substituted for CHM2045. If CHS1440 is 4 credits and includes a lab, it may be used in place of CHM2045C/CHM2045+L.
MAC2311 (GM) Calculus I (4 Credits)
- Students must complete pre-calculus at the college level with a "C" or higher to take Calculus I.
- MAC2281 may be substituted for MAC2311.
MAC2312 (GM) Calculus II (4 Credits)
- MAC2282 may be subsituted for MAC2312.
MAC2313 (GM) Calculus III (4 Credits)
- MAC2283 may be substituted for MAC2313.
MAP2302 (GM) Ordinary Differ Equations (3 Credits)
- MAP2305 may be substituted for MAP2302.
PHY1041+L Phys for Engin I + Lab (3+1)
- Students who did not successfully complete high school physics must complete PHY1020 Introduction to Physics and PHY1020L Introduction to Physics Lab with a "C" or higher before completing Calculus Physics I.
- Calculus-Based Physics has an addition prerequisite of Calculus I and a co-requisite of Calculus II.
- PHY2048C may be substituted for the lecture and lab.
- PHY2043 may be substituted for the lecture.
PHY2042+L Phys for Engin II + Lab (3+1)
- PHY2049C may be substituted for the lecture and lab.
- PHY2044 may be substituted for the lecture.
Foundation (11 credits)
Civil Engineering Foundation: (4 courses - 11 credit hours including natural science elective)
SELECT one of the following:
Additional natural sciences:
- BSC1010C General Biology
- BSC3057 Introduction to Environmental Studies
- ESC2000/2000L Earth Science & Lab
- GLY2010 Physical Geology (PHY2290 prior to 2015)
EGN1001C Introduction to Engineering I (2 Credits)
EGN3311 Statics (3 Credits)
STA3032 (GM) Prob/Statistics for Engrs (3 Credits)
Core Requirements (16 credits)
Civil Engineering Core: (5 courses - 16 credit hours)
CES3100 Analysis of Structures (3 Credits)
CES3104 Mechanics Of Matrls (3 Credits)
CGN3322C Civil Engineering Geomatics (4 Credits)
CWR3201 Fluid Mechanics (3 Credits)
EGN3321 Dynamics (3 Credits)
Major Requirements (35 credits)
Civil Engineering Major Requirements: (12 courses - 35 credit hours)
CEG3011C Geotechnical Engineering (4 Credits)
CES4702C Design of Reinforced Concrete (3 Credits)
CGN3501C Civil Engineering Materials (3 Credits)
CGN4151 Engineering Management (3 Credits)
CGN4803 Senior Capstone Design I (2 Credits)
CGN4804 Senior Capstone Design II (3 Credits)
CGN4935 FE Exam Review Seminar (1 Credit)
CWR3561 Numerical Methods and Computng (3 Credits)
CWR4001 Intro to Coastal and Port Eng (3 Credits)
CWR4202C Hydraulic Engineering (4 Credits)
ENV3001C Environmental Engineering (3 Credits)
TTE4004 Transportation Engineering (3 Credits)
Technical Electives (15 credits)
Civil Engineering Technical Electives (5 Courses, 15 Credits)
SELECT 15 credits from below
- CEG3111 Foundation Engineering (3)
- CEG4101 Analysis and Design of Foundation Systems (3)
- CEG4104 Analysis and Design of Earth Retaining Systems (3)
- CEG4302 Applied Engineering Geology (3)
- CES3605 Design of Steel Structures (3)
- CES4102 Matrix Structural Analysis (3)
- CES4321 Introduction to Bridge Engineering (3)
- CES4711 Prestressed Concrete (3)
- CGN3930 Special Topics in Civil Engineering (1-3)
- CGN4430 Risk Assessment (3)
- CGN4905 Directed Individual Study (1-3)
- CGN4931 Special Topics in Civil Engineering (1-3)
- CGN4949 Co-Op Work Experience (0-1)
- CGN4824 Principles of Land Development (3)
- CWR4024 Coastal and Estuarine Hydrodynamics (3)
- CWR4006 Coastal Processes (3)
- CWR4010 Field Methods (3)
- CWR4121 Groundwater Flow and Containment Transport (3)
- CWR4550 Water Wave Mechanics (3)
- CWR4600 Major River Systems of Florida (3)
- ENV4012 Adv. Environmental Engineering (3)
- TTE4201 Adv. Transportation Engineering (3)
- TTE4203 Highway Geometric Design (3)
- TTE4314 Traffic Operations (3)
- Other 4000-level courses with prefixes CEG, CES, ENV, TTE, CWR, and CGN may be approved by a faculty advisor. (XSUB4000)
No additional hours should be necessary to reach 128 hrs. If necessary, select additional courses to attain a total of 128 hours. This area may include hours at any level (1000-4000).
ANY-HOURS FREE ELECTIVES (1000-4000)