The program prepares mental health counselors to fulfill the following roles:
- Provide direct counseling services to individuals, groups, and families
- Assist clients in making responsible decisions and in developing skills of self determination
- Provide resources, referrals, and information to assist clients in coping with societal, economic, and other barriers
- Serve as models and mentors to clients as they pursue optimum levels of mental health
- Advocate for clients’ rights through participation in community, state, and national organizational efforts
- Become leaders in community agencies in efforts to facilitate delivery of optimum mental health services.