mission of the University of North Florida (UNF) Graduate Athletic Training
Program is to develop competent and caring athletic training professionals who are dedicated to
life-long learning and are committed to making contributions to their community
and the profession. The program aims to provide students with an enriching,
quality education which fosters critical thinking skills, professional ethics,
and evidence-based practice.
- Provide engaging learning environments in both the didactic and
clinical education settings that prepare students for entry-level practice as
an athletic trainer.
- Develop health care practitioners who incorporate evidence-based
medicine into clinical practice.
- Promote the importance of maintaining a high standard of ethical
and professional practice as a health care practitioner.
- Develop students who
promote the profession through service to the community and involvement in
- Students will have the foundational knowledge and clinical
skills necessary to become a certified athletic trainer.
- Students will demonstrate how to utilize current research,
clinical expertise, and patient needs and outcomes to identify best practices
in daily athletic training duties.
- Students will promote and demonstrate acceptable standards of
ethical conduct for professional practice.
- Students will demonstrate behaviors that consider primacy of the
patient and cultural competence.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to collaborate with other
health care professionals to provide optimal patient care.
- Students will understand the importance of contributing to the
community and profession through education, research, and/or collaborative
Student Learning Outcomes:
- The student will demonstrate proper procedures in risk
management and injury prevention.
- The student will demonstrate the ability to recognize, treat,
and refer orthopedic, general medical and mental health conditions in patients.
- The student will be able to provide appropriate acute care of
injuries and illnesses.
- The student will be proficient in clinical examination and
diagnosis of injuries/conditions in patients.
- The student will demonstrate the ability to design an appropriate
therapeutic intervention to maximize a patient’s health-related quality of
- The student will demonstrate the ability to apply evidence-based
medicine and critical thinking skills in the diagnosis, treatment, and
rehabilitation of patients.
- The student will model appropriate professional behavior and
ethical conduct as a health care provider.