Skip to Main Content
Brooks College of Health

Distance Learners

"Distance learners" (taking at least 80% of their courses online) can live within the state of Florida or in another state. Location of a student's residence at the time determines whether a distance learner is eligible, or able, to use UNF Counseling Center services, or WellConnect services instead. 

Distance Learning Students Currently Residing Within Florida

Currently enrolled UNF students who are distance learners and currently residing in Florida are eligible to receive counseling support in person, by Zoom video, or by telephone.

NEW CLIENTS: If you have never been seen before at the Counseling Center and are interested in receiving individual/group, psychiatric medication evaluation/management, case management, referral, or other services from the Center please complete this appointment request form.

CURRENT & RETURNING CLIENTS: To cancel or reschedule an appointment with your counselor, please send an email to call 904-620-2602, or stop by the Center located in Building 2 (Founders Hall), Room 2300. In general, we will reply within 48 hours if a response is needed. 

Distance Learning Students Currently Residing Outside of Florida

Currently enrolled UNF students who are distance learners and currently residing outside of Florida --- while not eligible for Counseling Center services --- have access to 24/7 services and support via WellConnect instead. Please contact the UNF Counseling Center at (904) 620-2602, by email at, or in person, to get needed instructions for accessing the service. 

  • Handout - Read this for more information on options and strategies for finding services beyond WellConnect within your area. 


    If you are a UNF Distance Learner currently residing in Florida you can receive individual or group counseling through UNF's Counseling Center via telehealth. If you are a Distance learner located outside of Florida, laws, and regulations prohibit professional counselors licensed in one state from providing ongoing counseling services to an individual currently located in another state. UNF counselors are licensed in Florida only.

    Please read below for other options available to UNF Distance Learners located in another state, who want counseling services/support.

    1. All currently-enrolled UNF students --- including Distance Learners in another state --- have free and unlimited access to the UNF Counseling Center Telephone Counseling Helpline available 24/7. The service, provided through ProtoCall Services, is appropriate for crisis and for general counseling needs. While the "helpline" is not designed as an ongoing counseling/psychotherapy service per se, students can call more than once about the same issue, or later about a new one. A student who calls will likely get a different randomly-assigned master's level or Ph.D. trained professional counselor to speak with each time they call. To access the service, call (904) 620-2602, and follow the recorded instructions.
    2. To find out more about other services and resources available to Distance Learners visit the UNF Counseling Center website. There you can access the tabs "Distance Learning", "Self-Help" and "Apps" for helpful information and tools for coping with anxiety, PTSD, deep breathing, mindfulness, and more. There are also free, anonymous self-screenings available for students to learn more about their mental health and if they are experiencing possible symptoms of a mental health condition.
    3. Students can also go to UNF's CANVAS page and enroll in the Center's "Mental Health and Wellness" course. This is not an actual course, but instead a page of current Counseling Center information, and self-help/coping tools. Included is the tab "Virtual Relaxation Room". This contains self-help information and helpful apps specifically designed to assist with relaxation, deep breathing, coping with anxiety, muscle relaxation exercises, and more. Students can also view pre-recorded "Life Hacks" psycho-educational workshops covering topics such as "How Thoughts Affect Mood", "Coping with Stress and Anxiety", "Reducing Sadness and Depression", and more.
    4. Distance Learners interested in finding counseling options that may be available in your area can go to the online site Psychology Today "Find a Therapist". This national database provides excellent information about counselors/psychiatrists/group therapy/teletherapy/support groups/and treatment centers in your area that can be searched by city, zip code, or name. Comprehensive detailed listings and descriptions of practices/treatment programs in your area are provided. Students can also contact a local university counseling center to inquire if they can help with a referral. If you are uninsured, ask a referral source or provider if there are any providers/counseling services in the area offering "sliding scale" fees (i.e., reduced fees for services that are based on the individual's income level). Other referral sources may include family and friends in the area, a primary care physician, calling the local United Way referral service at 211, or by searching on the National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) website. Most health insurance companies also have a list of preferred providers for mental health and substance abuse services, that can be searched for on the member services website or by calling and speaking with a customer service representative.

Additional Resources:

If you are interested in obtaining counseling services in your area, we recommend exploring the following options:

  • Insurance: Most insurance carriers have referrals for mental health and substance abuse counseling centers. View the following Information on how to navigate health insurance for mental healthcare services.
  • Local College or University Services: Some four-year colleges and universities staff a community clinic. These clinics may offer a sliding scale for payment.
  • Physicians: Your primary care physician may be able to provide you with a referral.
  • Personal Referral: You may be able to receive a recommendation from family or friends.
  • Employee Assistance Program: Your employer may offer Employee Assistance Program (EAP) benefits, which may allow you access to cost-free short-term or brief counseling as well as other professional services. Contact your employer's Human Resources department to check on the availability of EAP services.
  • United Way: By calling 211, your local United Way can provide referrals for counseling centers and services in your area. Referrals may be to a non-profit organization which may have a sliding scale for payment.
  • NBCC: The National Board of Certified Counselors will have a list of counselors in your area.
  • Psychology Today: Provides detailed professional listings for Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Therapists, Counselors, Group Therapy, and Treatment Centers in the United States and Canada.