Areas of Expertise
Building Energy Data Analysis, Occupant Behavior, Sustainable Building, Building Information Modeling (BIM), Machine Learning, Text Mining, GIS
Michigan State University (East Lansing, Michigan) 2016–2018
- Ph.D. in Construction Management
- Instructor, Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant
- Dissertation: "Occupant Behavior Prediction Model Based on Energy Consumption Using Machine Learning Approaches"
Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) 2012–2016
- M.S. in Building Performance and Diagnostics
- Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant
- Thesis: “User-Centric Building Utility Analytics for Investment and Policy Decision-Making”
Michigan State University (East Lansing, Michigan) 2010–2012
- M.S. in Construction Management
- Research Assistant
- Thesis: “The Integration of Quantitative Information with an Intelligent Decision Support System for Residential Energy Retrofits”
Yonsei University (Seoul, South Korea) 1997–2002
- B.S. in Housing and Interior Design
- Minored in Human Environment and Design
University of California, Davis (Davis, California) 2000–2001
- Exchange Student in Interior Architecture
- University of North Florida (08/2019–Present)
- Assistant Professor
- Building Information Modeling (Undergraduate)
- Michigan State University (09/2017–12/2018)
- Co-Instructor, Teaching Assistant
- Building Information Modeling (Undergraduate / Graduate)
- Carnegie Mellon University (09/2013–08/2016)
- Teaching Assistant, Guest Lecturer
- Productivity, Health and Quality of Buildings (Graduate)
- Building Controls and Diagnostics (Graduate)
- Mobile Application Development for iOS and Android (Graduate)
- North Carolina A&T State University (02/2019–07/2019)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate
- Housing Research (Aging in Place)
- LG CNS in Seoul, South Korea (07/2002–07/2010)
- System Analyst and Programmer
- Hyundai I-Service in Seoul, South Korea (03/2002–05/2002)
Michigan State University
- The William B. Lloyd Endowment Scholarship in Construction Management (05/2017)
- ESPP (Environmental Science and Policy Program) Urban Environment Research Fellowship (04/2017)
- The Frederick E. Schmid Honorary Scholarship in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (03/2017)
- School of Planning, Design and Construction Scholarship (02/2017)
- The Ed Gavin Memorial Scholarship (09/2011)
University of California, Davis
- Design Department Honor List of Students in Good Academic Standing (09/2000–08/2001)
- Scholarships for Good Academic Standing (03/1998–06/1999)
- High Honors Student List in Good Academic Standing (09/1997–02/1999)
- Building Simulation
- Advances in Civil Engineering
- International Journal of Sustainable Tropical Design Research and Practice
Certificates and Memberships
- Member of ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers)
- ASCE Data Sensing and Analysis Committee
- Korean-American Construction Engineering and Project Management Association (KACEPMA)
- LEED AP BD+C (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional for Building Design and Construction)
Grants and Contracts Awarded
Michigan State University
- Research Assistantships (08/2016–10/2018)
- Dissertation Completion Fellowship (05/2018)
- Travel funding for CRC 2018 Conference (01/2018)
- Travel funding for IWCCE 2017 Conference (03/2017)
Carnegie Mellon University
- Research Assistantships (08/2012–05/2016)
Michigan State University
- Research Assistantships (08/2011–07/2012)
Publications & Presentations
Mo, Y. & Zhao, D. (2020). Daily occupant behavior pattern affecting energy use in residential buildings, Construction Research Congress (CRC) 2020 in Tempe, AZ. Accepted.
Mo, Y., Zhao, D., Du, J., Syal, M., & Aziz, A. (2019). Automated staff assignment for building maintenance using natural language processing. Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management. Under Review.
Mo, Y., Zhao, D., & Syal, M. (2019). Effective Factors to Predict Residential Energy Consumption Using Machine Learning, International Conference on Computing in Civil Engineering (i3CE) 2019 in Atlanta, GA.
McCoy, A, Zhao, D., Mo, Y., Agee, P., & Paige, F. (2018). Latent Relationships between Construction Cost and Energy Efficiency in Multifamily Green Buildings. Chapter 11: The Institute of Engineering and Technology's Energy Generation and Efficiency Technologies for Green Residential Buildings, Rupp, C and Ting, D. Ed. Springer Press, UK.
McCoy, A., Zhao, D., Ladipo, T., Agee, P., & Mo, Y. (2018). Comparison of green home energy performance between simulation and observation: A case of Virginia, U.S. Journal of Green Building, 13(3), 70-88.
Zhao, D., McCoy, A. P., Agee, P., Mo, Y., Reichard, G., & Paige, F. (2018). Time effects of green buildings on energy use for low-income households: A longitudinal study in the United States. Sustainable Cities and Society.
Mo, Y., Dhara, A., Liu, W., & Zhao, D. (2018). Data-driven Approach to Scenario Determination for VR-based Construction Safety Training. In Proceedings of Construction Research Congress (CRC) in New Orleans, LA. April 2.
McCoy, A., Zhao, D., Agee, P., Mo, Y., Paige, F. & Reichard, G. (2017). Toward the future of housing efficiency: leveraging technology, behavior, education and cost. Keynote at International Congress on Engineering and Sustainability in the XXI Century – Increase 2017, Faro, Portugal, October 11-13, 2017.
Mo, Y., Zhao, D., Syal, M., & Aziz, A. (2017). Construction Work Plan Prediction for Facility Management using Text Mining. In Proceedings of the ASCE International Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering (IWCCE) 2017 in Seattle, WA. June 25.
Mo, Y., Zhao, D., McCoy, A., Du, J., & Agee, P. (2017). Latent Relationship between Construction Cost and Energy Efficiency in Multifamily Green Buildings. In Proceedings of the ASCE International Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering (IWCCE) 2017 in Seattle, WA. June 25.
Aziz, A., Lasternas, B., Loftness, V., Wang, H., Mo, Y., Wang, T., Zhang, C., Sharma, S., Xu, Y., Hsu, K., Nambiar, A., Alschuler, E., & Bergmann, H. (2016). Green Button and SEED Platform: Enhancing the SEED Platform to Support Building Portfolio Investment and Policy Decision Making. In Proceedings of the ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings in Pacific Grove, CA. ACEEE, August, 21.
Chong, A., Lam, K.P., Xu, W., Karaguzel, O., & Mo, Y. (2016). Imputation of Missing Values in Building Sensor Data. In Proceedings of the ASHRAE and IBPSA-USA SimBuild 2016: Building Performance Modeling Conference in Salt Lake City, UT. August, 10.
Aziz, A., Lasternas, B., Alschuler, E., Loftness, V., Wang, H., Mo, Y., Wang, T., Zhang, C., Sharma, S., & Stevens, I. (2016). Supporting Building Portfolio Investment and Policy Decision Making through an Integrated Building Utility Data Platform. In Proceedings of the 9th International Conference Improving Energy Efficiency in Commercial Buildings and Smart Communities in Frankfurt, Germany. IEECB&SC, March, 16.
Yun, R., Aziz, A., Lasternas, B., Zhang, C., Loftness, V., Scupelli, P., Mo, Y., & Wilberforce, N. (2014). The Design and Evaluation of Intelligent Energy Dashboard for Sustainability in the Workplace. In Design, User Experience, and Usability. User Experience Design for Everyday Life Applications and Services (pp. 605-615). Springer International Publishing.
Lee, E., Kim, S., & Mo, Y. (2012). Impact of green homes for low-income families: Post-occupancy evaluations of LEED-certified Habitat for Humanity Homes in Michigan. In Proceedings of the 43th Environmental Design and Research Association (EDRA) Conference, Seattle, WA. May 30-June 2, 2012.
Syal, M., Duah, D., Samuel, S., Mazor, M., Mo, Y., & Cyr, T. (2013). Information framework for intelligent decision support system for home energy retrofits. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 140(1), 04013030.