Areas of Expertise
African politics; gender and politics; politics of development; peace studies; human rights; peacekeeping; peacebuilding; climate change
PhD (2019) University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN
MA (2016) University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN
MA (2014) University of Louisville, Louisville, KY
BA (2011) University of Louisville, Louisville, KY
I am currently an Assistant Professor in Political Science in the department of Political Science and Public Administration. My three areas of expertise are comparative politics, international relations, and peace studies, with a regional focus in Sub-Saharan Africa. My work has appeared in World Development, Journal of International Peacekeeping, and Regional Environmental Change. Funding for my research has come from USAID, Fulbright, Boren, Catholic Relief Services, and several internal sources at both the University of Louisville and the University of Notre Dame.
I also have over six years of experience as a professional Grants & Fellowships Consultant, including two years spent working in this field full-time. I have worked with undergraduate and graduate students from a range of disciplines--biomedical engineering to social anthropology to medieval history--in their pursuit of prestigious national and international awards including: Fulbright, Boren, NSF-GRFP, Truman, Rhodes, CLS, U.S.-U.K. Summer Fulbright, Goldwater, and SSRC-IDRF (to name a few). I am always willing to offer editorial services to any interested students and/or faculty in their pursuit of winning prestigious awards.
- Fulbright Research Scholarship, Malawi ($17,000), 2017 - 2018
- USAID | Notre Dame Global Development Fellowship, Malawi ($18,000), 2017 - 2018
- USAID | ND Global Development Fellowship, South Africa ($5,770). 2015
- Boren Scholarship, Japan ($20,000), 2009 - 2010
- Graduate Student Research Award ($4,000), University of Notre Dame, 2017 and 2018
- Graduate Research Grant ($7,000), University of Notre Dame, 2017
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Social Responsibility of Researchers Fellowship, 2016 - 2017
- Mullen Family Fellowship (full tuition and stipend), University of Notre Dame, 2015 - 2016
For a full list of awards, grants, and conference attendance, please see my CV, available on my website: www.emilymaiden.com
World Affairs Council, Jacksonville, 2019 - Present
Publications & Presentations
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
- Maiden, Emily and Mark Brockway. (2018). “Parlez-vous français? Language and Agricultural Aid Allocation Strategies in Northern Mali.” World Development 106: 356-375.
- Regan, Patrick, Hyun Kim, and Emily Maiden. (2018). “Climate Change, Adaptation, and Agricultural Output.” Regional Environmental Change 1-11.
- Maiden, Emily. (2014). “Transformative Peace in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.” Journal of International Peacekeeping 18(1-2): 102-122.
Government & NGO Reports:
- Baul, Tushi, Jaime Bleck, Danice Brown Guzmán, Emily Maiden, and Juan Valdez. (2019). Catholic Relief Services Impact Evaluation of the UBALE Program in Malawi: Endline Report. Notre Dame Initiative for Global Development, University of Notre Dame.
- Maiden, Emily. (2015). “Review of Defying Victimhood: Women and Post-Conflict Peacebuilding by Schnabel and A. Tabyshalieva (United Nations University Press: 2012).” Gendered Perspectives of International Development Resource Bulletin Spring 29(3): 29.