Areas of Expertise
young adult and children's literature, Southern women's literature, postcolonial African women's literature, creative writing, literacy, composition, urban education, African American literature, English education, developmental writing, and curriculum development
M.S. English Education Florida State University
B.S. English Education Florida State University
A Jacksonville native who has a passion for words, learning, life, and people
COMMITTEES & SYMPOSIUMS
- Member of the Academic Success Center’s Campus-Wide Writing Team, 2010
- Member of FSCJ Student Engagement Faculty Interest Group, 2010-2011
- Member of FSCJ Discipline Action Plan Committee, 2010-2011
- Participant of FATE Inaugural Panhandle Symposium on the Radical Redesign of Teacher Education, Tallahassee, FL, April, 2009
- Co-lead committee chair for an education academy planning committee at Forrest High School, 2006-2007
- Member of National Writing Project at UCF Grant/Planning Committee, 2003
MEMBERSHIPS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Young Adult Literature (YAL) Reviewer for VOYA, 2012-2014, 2016-2018
- Article Reviewer for The Assembly on Literature for Adolescents (ALAN) Review, 2012
- Member of Manuscript and Proposal Review Board, IRA, 2002–2008, 2012
- Young Adult Literature (YAL) Reviewer for The Assembly on Literature for Adolescents (ALAN) Review, 2005 – 2008, 2012-2018
- Young Adult Literature (YAL) Reviewer for SIGNAL, an International Reading Association (IRA) publication, 2004 - Present
- Member of the ReadWriteThink.org Review Board, 2004–2008
Publications & Presentations
Alexander-Smith, A. (2004). “Feeling the rhythm of the critically conscious mind.” English Journal. 93: 58-63.
Alexander-Smith, A. (2001). “Process memos and self-evaluation.” English Journal. 90: 25.
Central Florida Writing Project @ UCF. (2005). Using creative persuasive writing prompts to teach persuasive writing. Orlando, FL.