Areas of Expertise
- Diversity in Academia
- Race, place and Inequality
- Mass Incarceration
PhD. University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2009
Major: Urban Studies
Specialization in Race, Class, Gender, and Ethnicity
Dissertation Title: “A Critical Analysis of an Urban Research University: Climate, Culture and Minority Faculty.”
Major Professor: William Velez, PhD
MPA. Columbus State University, 1998
Major: Government Administration (Policy)
B.S., Albany State University, 1997
Major: Criminal Justice
Dr. Hodo is from Milwaukee, WI. She obtained her doctorate degree at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in Urban Studies with a minor in Sociology. She has served in a vareity of college administrator roles as well as faculty in the areas of Sociology and Criminal Justice as she traveled the world with her recently retired Army husband.
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- Department of the Army Commander’s Award for Civilian Service, June 2005
- Certificate of Appreciation from Nova Services for serving as a member of the Board of Directors, and as a Board of Directors Officer.
- National Deans List for Graduate Students 1997-1998, 2005-2009.
- ATIXA Member and certified level 5 Title IX Coordinator/Investigator.
- ATIXA Level 2 Civil Rights Investigator.
- Submitted and subsequently won the Diversity Employee award, which is annual award given by the Jacksonville Bar Association Diversity Committee for Florida Coastal School of Law.
- Submitted and subsequently won Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award for Florida Coastal School of Law, two consecutive years (2016 and 2017).
- Recipient of the Florida Coastal School of Law Staff Vision Award (2018).
- Association of Black Sociologist
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority
- Association of Title IX Administrators (ATIXA)
- National Association of Diversity Officers in Higher Education (NADOHE)
- Florida Diversity Council
Publications & Presentations
- Closing Keynote speaker, the National Behavioral Intervention Team Association (NaBita), Nov 2018. Speech entitled: “Does Implicit Bias Influence your Behavior Intervention Team? A Conversation about Microaggressions and the Effects of Implicit Biases on Marginalized Groups in Academia.”
- “The Crisis within our Community: The State of the Black Family.” 32nd Annual Conference on Crime in the Black Community, Orlando, FL (2017). Office of the Attorney General FL, Division of Victim Services.
- “Minorities in Higher Education.” Yearly National Law Review Symposium March 2017.
- “The Relevance of Diversity in Clinical Education” a presentation at the Sixth Annual Clinical Conference at Charlotte School of Law, October 2016.
- “Building a Sense of Community in a Dynamic Urban Environment: Utilizing Support Networks to Develop the Whole Child.” Virginia Union University forum on The Urban Environment and its impact on Children, 2015.
- “Challenges Facing Today’s Youth.” Youth and College Division Educational Forum of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), Chesapeake, VA. 2015.
- “When Women Sexually Assault.” Academy of Criminal Justice Science Conference 2014.
- “Abused Men” panel segment Huffington Post via web chat July 31, 2013
- “Conceptualizing, Researching, and Writing Your Thesis or Dissertation.” A workshop presented at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, March 4, 2011.
- "A Critical Analysis of an Urban Research University: Climate, Culture, and Minority Faculty." Chapter of dissertation presented at the 14th Annual Urban Studies Student Forum, UW-Milwaukee, April 4, 2009.
- "History of African Americans in Academia: A Literature Review." Paper presented at 11th Annual Urban Studies Student Forum, UW-Milwaukee, April 2006.
- “Black Scholars’ Speak about Diversity or the Lack Thereof in Academia.” Florida Coastal Law Review, Vol. 18 (No. 3), Summer 2017. pp. 367-391.
- “Voices from Within: The Academic Experiences of Minority Scholars at a Midwest Research University.” University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, e.polis, 2009, 3; pp. 25-59.
- Cook, Philip W, with Hodo, Tammy L. “When Women Stalk, Sexually Abuse Men: The Hidden Side of Rape, Stalking, Harassment and Sexual Assault.” Praeger Publishers, June 2013.