Areas of Expertise
- Geographic Information System (Application in Urban Planning and Management)
- Urbanization and Environmental impacts
- Space, Place and People in urban and rural context
- Cultural Geography
- The Economic geography of Africa and the Middle East
- Norwegian University of Science and Tech. PhD in Urban Geography May, 2008
- Norwegian University of Science and Tech. Master of Philosophy in Development Study June, 2001
- Addis Ababa University Bachelor of Arts in Geography July, 1996
Yirgalem Habtemariam is an Adjunct professor at University of North Florida and have involved in many teaching and research activities both in Africa and USA.
• Adjunct Professor, University of North Florida, United States 2018..........
Teaching Geographic Information Systems.
• Supervisor, University of South Africa 2013- to the present
Guiding Ph.D and Masters students research projects at University of South Africa/UNISA.
• Special Education Expert, Duval County Public schools, Jacksonville Florida 2016.....
• Assistant Professor, Calvin College, Grand Rapids, Michigan 2012-2013
Instructed urban system and GIS, environmental studies, world regional geography, African geography, and cultural geography courses
• Assistant professor, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 2008-2012
Instructed GIS, remote sensing, photogrammetry, urban planning, urban infrastructure and development, urbanization and environment, economic geography, thought and philosophy of geography, development studies and urban geography courses as a permanent faculty member.
Supervised and guided over 30 postgraduate and graduate students’ thesis and dissertations.
Served as member of examining board for MA and PhD dissertation.
Coordinated post-graduate program.
Developed under-graduate geography and GIS courses.
Chaired department curriculum committee.
Involved in the preparation of text books for Pr-college geography courses
• Geospatial Expert, Ethiopian Mapping Authority, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 1997-1998
Captured, analyzed, and managed geospatial data.
Doctoral Research Fellow Award by Norwegian University of Science and Technology form January, 2004-2008.
Association of American Geographers (AAG)
Founding member of International Congress on Environmental Planning and Management
Member of Ethiopian Geographical Association
Founding Member of Biofood Association