Areas of Expertise
- Gendered differences in help-seeking from behavioral health, criminal justice, health, and social service organizations, especially after sexual violence
- Exploration of barriers to seeking help among marginalized and vulnerable individuals
- Victims’ interface with organizational and social supports
- Social media and organizational online presence as a facilitators of service access and utilization
- International social work & social work education
- Participatory action research methods
- Research methods
- Generalist social work practice
- Theory, including Human Behavior & Social Environment
- Gender-based violence
- Social work in health care
- Grief & loss
- Intersections between social work and the law
- Human-animal bond
PhD, 2018, Michigan State University,East Lansing, MI
- Dissertation: Predictors of help-seeking behaviors of sexually victimized males in the United States: A secondary data analysis utilizing the National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey
- Chair: Dr. Sheryl P. Kubiak
MSW, 2013, Indiana University School of Social Work, South Bend, IN
BA, 2009, Indiana University, South Bend, IN
Major: Women’s Studies
Dr. Cummings earned a PhD in social work from Michigan State University, with a dissertation on help-seeking behavior of male victims of sexual assault. Her MSW degree with a concentration in Mental Health and Addictions and her Bachelor of Arts degree in women’s studies were received from Indiana University South Bend.
Her teaching interests include research, practice, theory, gender and sexuality, the human-animal bond, and field education. Dr. Cummings’ primary area of research focuses on victims' interface with health, criminal justice, and social service organizations, and help-seeking behaviors, especially of victims of sexual violence. Gender, especially in relation to masculinity as a barrier to seeking services, plays a prominent role in her current work. Her research aims to understand and reduce disparities and to work towards communities in which victimization is neither gendered or blamed on the victim. She is interested in participatory action research and community engaged methods.
She has practice experience as a veterinary social worker, as well as experience in juvenile residential treatment, case management, and as a social worker in a trauma unit of a hospital.
2019 Recent Distinguished Alumnus in the Humanities- Indiana University South Bend
2013-2018 University Enrichment Fellowship- Michigan State University
University- wide competitive fellowship recognizing academic achievement, research goals, contribution to a diverse educational community, and a record of overcoming obstacles. Five years of doctoral funding attached.
2016- Best Empirical Article of 2015- Editorial Board of Perspectives on Social Work
Co-author of "Social Workers' Perceptions of Working with People who have HIV/AIDS"
2016- Provost Undergraduate Research Initiative Award- Michigan State University
Funded $2,000 in support of undergraduate research assistant on Photovoice project.
Council on Social Work Education
Society for Social Work and Research
Publications & Presentations
- Fedock, G., Cummings, C. E. Kubiak, S. P., Brenner, H. J., Bybee, D., Campbell, R., & Darcy, K. M. (in press). Incarcerated women’s experiences of staff – perpetrated rape: Racial disparities and justice gaps in institutional responses. Journal of Interpersonal Violence.
- Kubiak, S. P., Brenner, H. J., Bybee, D., Campbell, R., Cummings, C. E., Darcy, K. M., Fedock, G., Goodman-Williams, R. (2018). Processes and practices associated with reporting and investigation of sexual misconduct within prison: A novel case study constructed through litigation documents. Criminal Justice Policy Review.
- Shamrova, D. P. & Cummings, C. E. (2017). Participatory Action Research (PAR) with Children and Youth: An Integrative Review of Methodology and PAR Outcomes for Participants, Organizations, and Communities. Children and Youth Services Review.
- Kubiak, S. P., Brenner, H. J., Bybee, D., Campbell, R., Cummings, C. E., Darcy, K. M., Fedock, G., Goodman-Williams, R. (2017). Sexual misconduct in prison: What factors affect whether incarcerated women will report abuses committed by prison staff? Law and Human Behavior.
- Kubiak, S. P., Brenner, H. J., Bybee, D., Campbell, R., Cummings, C. E., Darcy, K. M., Fedock, G., Goodman-Williams, R. (2016). Do sexually victimized female prisoners perceive justice in litigation processes and outcomes? Psychology, Public Policy, and Law.
- Fedock, G., Kubiak, S., Campbell, R., Cummings, C., & Darcy, K. (2016) Prison rape reform: Perspectives from women with life sentences on the impact of a class action lawsuit. Journal of Human Rights and Social Work, 1 (3), 1-12. doi:10.1007/s41134-016-0017-9
- Kubiak, S., Fedock, G., Cummings, C., Campbell, R., Bybee, D., & Darcy, K. (2018, Jan.). Incarcerated Women's Decisions Regarding the Reporting of Staff Sexual Misconduct: A Multi-Level Investigation That Sets Directions for Social Work. Oral presentation at the 2018 Society for Social Work and Research Conference, Washington D.C., USA.
- Shamrova, D., Santiago, O., Kubiak, S., & Cummings, C. (2018, Jan.). Gender Differences in Factors Associated with PTSD Among the Incarcerated: Victimization, Social Support, and Prison Climate. Oral presentation at the 2018 Society for Social Work and Research Conference, Washington D.C., USA.
- Cummings, C., Shamrova, D., Milanovic, E., Macomber, C., Lee, J., Kwon, I. Woodward, A., & Hughes, A. (2018, Jan.). How is the Social Media Engagement with Human Rights Issues of University Students Related to their Human Rights and Civic Engagement Behaviors and Attitudes? Oral presentation at the 2018 Society for Social Work and Research Conference, Washington D.C., USA.
- Milanovic, E., Cummings, C., Kwon, I., Lee, J., Macomber, C., Shamrova, D., Hughes, A., & Woodward, A. (2018, Jan.). Exploring the Impact of Experiential Activities on Civic Engagement Among University Students. Poster at the 2018 Society for Social Work and Research Conference, Washington D.C., USA.
- Cummings, C. E. (2017, Oct.). Providers’ Perceptions on Male Victims of Sexual Assault: Service Availability and Access. Oral presentation at for the Council on Social Work Education Conference, Dallas, TX, USA.
- Wahler, E., & Cummings, C. E. (2017, Oct.). Gender differences among voluntary participants of a capacity-building anti-poverty program. Oral presentation at the Council on Social Work Education Conference, Dallas, TX, USA.
- Cummings, C. E. (2017, June). Investigation and predictors of outcomes in prison-based sexual assault internal affairs investigations. Salon presentation at the 2017 Law and Society Association Annual Meeting, Mexico City, Mexico.
- Kubiak, S. P., Cummings, C. E., Buchanan, N. T., & Hawkins, J. M. (2017, March). Barriers to help-seeking for sexually assaulted males: Perceptions of providers. Paper presentation at the American Men’s Studies Association’s Twenty-Fifth Conference on Men and Masculinities, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Kubiak, S. P., Bybee, D., Campbell, R., Brenner, H., Fedock, G., Darcy, K., & Cummings, C. E. (2017, Jan.). Do sexually victimized female prisoners obtain justice in litigation? Paper presentation at the 2017 Society for Social Work Research Conference, New Orleans, LA, USA.
- Hughes, A. K., Cummings, C. E., Freddolino, P. P., Reeves, M., & Fritz, M. (2017, Jan.). Starting over: Grief and loss experienced by stroke survivors and their spousal caregivers. Poster presentation at the 2017 Society for Social Work Research Conference, New Orleans, LA, USA.
- Shamrova, D. P., Cummings, C. E., Schwartz, R., & Johnson, D. J. (2017, Jan.). Adaptation: Using Photovoice to understand the barriers and supports experienced by international students and spouse. Poster presentation at the 2017 Society for Social Work Research Conference, New Orleans, LA, USA.
- Brenner, H., Fedock, G., Kubiak, S., Darcy, K. & Cummings, C. E. (2016, June). Class action litigation for incarcerated victims of sexual assault: Successes, setbacks, and stories. Roundtable session at the 2016 Law and Society Association Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, USA.
- Prock, K. A., Cummings, C. E., DeNuccio, A., Hindes, K., & Hughes, A. K. (2016, May). Social workers’ perceptions of working with people who have HIV/AIDS. Poster presented at the 28th Annual National Conference on Social Work and HIV/AIDS, Minneapolis, MN, USA.
- Steed-Page, K., Bowden, S., & Cummings, C.E. (2016, April). Transforming signature theme and generalist practice assignments to an online format. Seminar presentation at the 2016 Social Work Distance Education Conference, Indianapolis, IN, USA.