Areas of Expertise
Director for the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner DNP Program and Assistant Professor of Nursing for 13 years: Expertise includes undergraduate, RN to BSN, accelerated nursing, graduate nurse practitioners and doctor of nursing practice student education.
Clinical Specialty: Psychiatric nurse practitioner for inpatient, & outpatient services, internal medicine/primary care practice, co-occurring drug recovery rehabilitation and residential services, assertive community team (FACT), telepsychiatry services, college health, advanced wound treatment & hyperbaric medicine, hospital inpatient services, women's health and skilled nursing home services.
Nurse Researcher: Interests include doctoral translational evidence based research aimed at improving the quality of healthcare services, access for care for diverse vulnerable populations, team building for nurses, reducing hospital readmissions for heart failure/COPD populations, improving hospital safety, innovations in teaching/nurse education, advocating for suicide prevention, substance use risk reduction and transcultural diverse nursing.
Mid-Michigan Community College: Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Registered Nurse (RN).
University of Michigan: Adult Primary Care Nurse Practitioner & Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, MSN, APRN.
Concordia University-Wisconsin: Doctorate of Nursing Practice (DNP).
Dr. Vossos is the director of the PMHNP DNP program and Assistant Professor of Nursing, at the University of North Florida. She is dual nationally board certified as Adult Nurse Practitioner and Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner. She has worked in the healthcare business for 30 years. Her clinical practice encompasses providing holistic care to a diverse population and she precepts graduate NP students.
2019 STARS Research Award: UNF
2017 Best in Nursing: American Health Council
2016 Golden Apple of Teaching Award: by a Doctoral of Nursing Student
2014 Golden Apple Teaching Award: by an Undergraduate Nursing Student
2011 Staff of the Month: Central Michigan University (Developed a Residential Hall Clinic)
2010 Clinical Excellence Award: University of Michigan-Flint
American Nurse Association
American Psychiatric Nurse Association
Florida Association of Nurse Practitioners
National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
Grants and Contracts Awarded
2019 Fellowship APRNs in the VA, Jacksonville & Gainesville.
2019 APNA Crisis Intervention Continuum Conference
2015-2016 Michigan Council of NPs: Grant writing for annual conference. Topics: Depression in primary care practice, Bipolar disorder and substance abuse
Publications & Presentations
1. Hamadi, H., Moody, L., Apatu, E., Vossos, H., Tafili, A. & Spaulding, A. (2019). Impact of hospitals’ referral region racial and ethnic diversity on 30-day readmission rates of older adults. Journal of Community Hospital Internal Medicine Perspectives.
2. Smith-East, M., Powers, L., Vossos, H. (2018). A Quality Improvement Project on the Management of Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorders in the Outpatient Setting. Journal of Doctoral Nursing.
3. Vossos, H. (2017). Collaborative Interprofessional Practice to Prevent College Student Suicide. Journal of Interprofessional Education & Practice.
4. Vossos, H. (2016). Substance Abuse Disorders. Dr. Barkley's Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner's Certification Revised Book Chapter. (Book chapter.)
5. Vossos, H. & Wehbe-Alamah, H. (2018). Using a Culturally Congruent Approach in Mental Health Care. Culture care diversity & universality: A worldwide nursing theory (3rd.). Massachusetts: Jones and Barlett. (Book chapter.)
6. Vossos, H. & M. Wilson. Chapter 9. McFarland, M. R. & Wehbe-Alamah, H. (2015). Synopsis of A Metasynthesis of Doctoral Dissertations Guided by the Culture Care Theory. Leininger’s Culture care diversity & universality: A worldwide nursing theory (3rd.). Massachusetts: Jones and Barlett. ISBN: 978-1-284-02662-7
7. McFarland, M., Wehbe-Alamah, H., Andrews, M., Hnatiuk, C., Pasqualin, J., Vossos, H., & Wilson, M. Metasysnthesis of Doctoral Dissertations Guided by the Culture Care Theory and Using the Ethnonursing Method, (2010). Published on UMI (2016). University of Michigan, Flint, Michigan
8. Presentations: Too Numerous to list here.