Areas of Expertise
My research interests are in the area of human sexuality and sexuality development. This includes sexual behavior, conceptualizations of sexuality, HIV/AIDS, STIs, LGBTQ+ health, and social policy surrounding sexuality. As a counseling educator, I also explore and advocate for the importance of human sexuality counseling competencies in the work of professional counselors in all settings. My clinical interests include relationship counseling, sexuality-related issues, sexual disorders, and minor attracted persons. As of 2018, I am the Founding Editor of the Journal of Counseling Sexology & Sexual Wellness: Research, Practice, and Education (ISSN: 2577-1299) and the honorary Past-President of the Association for Counseling Sexology & Sexual Wellness. I also continue to see a small number of clients at the Jacksonville Center for Sexual Health.
My teaching experience and expertise is in the topics of sexual issues in counseling, psychopathology, counseling theory, counseling skills, group counseling, and assessment. In each of my courses, significant time and discussion is dedicated to exploring the role and identity of clinical mental health counselors. I also heavily employ experiential and practice-based learning in my classroom as well as creative pedagogical methods like photvoice and flipped classroom.
If you would like to schedule an appointment with me, CLICK HERE.
PhD Counseling, 2015, The George Washington University
MA Community Counseling, 2012, Montclair State University
BS Psycholgy, 2009, University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
The last living Jedi. Cohost of "Sex from A to Z" podcast on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and YouTube.
Community Sexual Health Education and Research Initiative, Founding Director
Association of Counseling Sexology & Sexual Wellness, Honorary Past-President
American Counseling Association, Member
Society for Sex Therapy and Research, Member
Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, Member
Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, Member
Chi Sigma Iota (International Counseling Honor Society), Member
Journal of Counseling and Development, Editorial Board Member
Journal of LGBTQ Issues in Counseling, Editorial Board Member
Grants and Contracts Awarded
- 2019 Health Innovation Research Grant $5,000
"Assessing Primary Care Providers’ Intentions to Educate Patients about U=U: A Theory of Planned Behavior Survey Development Study"
- 2018 Health Innovation Research Grant $5,000
"Assessing the Impact of U=U on HIV Risk Perceptions, Behavioral Intentions, and Attitudes"
- 2017 Brooks College of Health Dean's Research Professorhip $54,000
"Encounter-level and Person-level Factors in HIV Risk among MSM: A Generalized Hierarchical Linear Model Using Sex Diary Methodology"
Publications & Presentations
Recent and Selected Publications
- Zeglin, R.J. (2019). The MSM (non)identity: Toward understanding sexual behavior and identity in health research and practice with straight men under the umbrella. Sexuality Research and Social Policy, Online First.
Hicks-Roof, K., Zeglin R.J., Manson, D., & Labyak, C.A. (2019). Public opinion report of nutrition education and nutrition-related behaviors. Florida Public Health Review, 16, 48-54.
Zeglin, R. J., Niemela, D.R.M, Rosenblatt, K., & Hernandez-Garcia, J. (2019). Using photovoice as a counselor education pedagogical tool: A pilot. Journal of Creativity in Mental Health, Online First.
- Zeglin, R. J., Niemela, D.R.M., & Vandenberg, M. (2018). What does the counseling field say about sexuality? A content analysis. American Journal of Sexuality Education, 14(1), 55-73.
- Zeglin, R. J., Niemela, D. R., & Baynard, C. W. (2018). Deaths of despair in Florida: Assessing the role of social determinants of health. Health Education & Behavior, 46(2), 329–339
- Zeglin, R.J., Hergenrather, K.C., Hernandez Garcia, J. (2018). A systematic review of the common experiences of caregivers of HIV+ men who have sex with men: Implications for counselors. Journal of Rehabilitation, 84(1), 22-30.
- Zeglin, R.J., Hergenrather, K.C., Poppen, P.J., Choi, J., Reisen, C., Zea, M.C. (2018). Latino Sexual Beliefs Scale: An exploratory factor analysis of Latino MSM. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 47(1), 299-308. doi: 10.1007/s10508-017-0988-3
- Zeglin, R.J., Van Dam, D., Hergenrather, K.C. (2017). An introduction to proposed human sexuality counseling competencies. International Journal for the Advancement of Counselling, Online First at https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10447-017-9314-y
- Zeglin, R.J. (2017). Sexual disorders in the DSM-5: Implications for counselors. Journal of Professional Counseling: Practice, Theory, and Research, 43(1), 17-31.
- Hergenrather, K.C., Zeglin, R.J., Conyers, L., Misrok, M., & Rhodes, S.D. (2016). Persons living with HIV/AIDS: Employment as a social determinant of health. Journal of Rehabilitation Research, Policy and Education, 30(1), 4-31. doi: 10.1891/2168-66220.127.116.11
- Zeglin, R.J. (2016). Portrayals of Masculinity in “Guy Movies.” Journal of Men's Studies, 24(1), 42-59. doi: 10.1177/1060826515624390
- Zeglin, R.J., DeRaedt, M.R., & Lanthier, R.P. (2015). Does having children moderate the effect of child sexual abuse on depression?. The Journal of Child Sexual Abuse, 24(6), 607-626. doi: 10.1080/10538712.2015.1057664
- Hergenrather, K.C., Zeglin, R.J., McGiure-Kuletz, M., & Rhodes, S.D. (2015). Exploring employment as a social determinant of health: A systematic review of longitudinal studies identifying employment trajectories and mental health outcomes. Journal of Rehabilitation Research, Policy and Education, 29(3), 261-290. doi: 10.1891/2168-6618.104.22.1681
- Zeglin, R.J. (2015). Assessing the role of masculinity in the transmission of HIV: A systematic review to inform HIV risk reduction counseling interventions for MSM. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 44(7), 1979-1990. doi: 10.1007/s10508-015-0501-9
- Zeglin, R.J., & Stein, J.P. (2015). Social determinants of health predict state incidence of HIV and AIDS: A short report. AIDS Care, 27(2), 255-259. doi: 10.1080/09540121.2014.954983
Recent and Selected Presentations
- Schubert, A., McClain, F., & Zeglin, R.J. (October, 2019). Let’ Talk about Sex: Why Sexuality Belongs in Counselor Education. Paper Presentation at the biannual conference of the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. Seattle, WA.
- Zeglin, R.J. & Niemela, D.R.M. (April, 2019). Assessing the Impact of U=U on HIV Risk Perceptions, Behavioral Intentions, and Attitudes. Paper Presentation at the annual National Sex Ed Conference. Newark, NJ.
- Zeglin, R.J. (February, 2019). Human Sexuality as a Counseling Competency for College Populations: Applying the Life Course Health Development Model. Paper Presentation at the annual conference of the American College Counseling Association. San Diego, CA.
- Zeglin, R.J. (October, 2017). The Role of Sexuality Competencies in the Future Counselor Identity: A Delphi Study. Paper Presentation at the biannual conference of the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. Chicago, IL.
- Zeglin, R.J., Garcia, J.H., & Benitez, M. (July, 2017). A Survey of Counseling Students' Human Sexuality Counseling Competency. Poster Presentation at the annual conference of the American Mental Health Counselors Association. Washington, DC.
- Hergenrather, K.C., Zeglin, R.J., McGuire-Kuletz, M., & Rhodes, S.D. Counseling & Employment Considerations for an Inclusive LGBT Workforce: Applying the ALGBTIC Competencies. (April, 2015). Paper Presentation at the National Council on Rehabilitation Education conference. Newport Beach, CA.