Areas of Expertise
- British Literature
- Film Studies
- FIL 4931: Anime Cinema
- FIL 4900: The Filmography of Sion Sono
- FIL 3006: Analyzing Films
- FIL 2000: Film Appreciation
- LIT 2000: Introduction to Literature
- ENC 1143: Rhetoric and Narrative
- ENC 1101: Rhetoric and Writing
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), English, University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland, UK.
Master of Arts (MA), English, Mississippi College, Clinton, MS, USA.
- Nominated, Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award, University of North Florida, 2017-2018.
- Winner, Teaching Assistant of the Year, Mississippi College English Department, 2004.
- The George MacDonald Society, 2008-Present
- The Modern Humanities Research Association, 2009-2010
- The Association of Literary Scholars & Critics, 2008-2009
Grants and Contracts Awarded
- $23,000. Stallings-Smith S, Smith JW, and Gellers J, “Disasters, Public Health, and Human Rights.” University of North Florida Transformational Learning Opportunity Grant. 11 December 2018.
Publications & Presentations
Peer Reviewed Publications
Yearning for Home: Memory and Meaning in George MacDonald’s Fiction. The Golden Age: Nostalgia in Word and Image. Ed. Elizabeth Rogers and Jeffrey W. Smith. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars, 2016. 33-44. Print.
George MacDonald’s Approach to Victorian Social Reform in The Vicar’s Daughter. Rethinking George MacDonald: Contexts and Contemporaries. Ed. Christopher MacLachlan, John Patrick Pazdziora, and Ginger Stelle. Glasgow: Association for Scottish Literary Studies, 2013. 69-83. Print.
The Polluted City and the Healing Power of Nature: Wordsworthian Idealism in Guild Court. North Wind: A Journal of George MacDonald Studies 31 (2012): 18-30. Print.
Pre-Raphaelite Imagery in the Writings of George MacDonald: Representations in The Imagination, The Seaboard Parish and The Vicar’s Daughter. Journal of the Scottish Society for Art History 17 (2012): 14-8. Print.
Film Review of Amour, dir. Michael Haneke. DURA: Dundee University Review of the Arts, Nov. 2012. Web.
Film Review of The Turin Horse (A torinói ló), dir. Béla Tarr. DURA: Dundee University Review of the Arts, Oct. 2012. Web.
Non-Peer Reviewed Publications
Analyzing the Faërie World as a Model for Christian Spirituality: An Interpretation of Spiritual Progression in George MacDonald’s Fantasy Literature. Inklings Forever 6 (2008): 109-12. Print.
Academic Oral Presentations
- “Nostalgia in George MacDonald’s Scottish Fiction.” UNF Sigma Tau Delta “Brown Bag Series.” University of North Florida, Jacksonville, FL, USA. 12 September 2018. Lecture.
- Urban Philanthropy in London’s East End: Representations in George MacDonald’s Robert Falconer. The City in Word and Image: Problems and Possibilities of the Metropolis. U of Dundee, Dundee, UK. 14 June 2013. Conference Presentation.
- Yearning for Home: Memory and Meaning in George MacDonald’s Fiction. The Golden Age: Nostalgia in Word and Image. U of Dundee, Dundee, UK. 13 June 2012. Conference Presentation.
- Bringing Nature to the People: MacDonald, Wordsworth, and the Environment. English Post-Graduate Student Forum. U of Dundee, Dundee, UK. 28 March 2012. Keynote Address.
- Coping with London: Nature and the City in George MacDonald’s Guild Court. Literary London 2011: Representations of London in Literature: An Interdisciplinary Conference. U of London, London, UK. 22 July 2011. Conference Presentation.
- Pre-Raphaelite Imagery in the Writings of George MacDonald. Wildering Phantasies: An Inter-Disciplinary Conference Devoted to the Pre-Raphaelites. U of Dundee, Dundee, UK. 8 July 2011. Conference Presentation.
- Social Reform and the Imagination: A Study of George MacDonald’s The Vicar’s Daughter. George MacDonald among His Contemporaries. U of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, UK. 30 March 2011. Conference Presentation.
- Crossing the Borders of Fantasy: A Perspective of George MacDonald’s Phantastes, At the Back of the North Wind, and Lilith. The Novel and its Borders. Centre for The Novel. King’s College, U of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK. 9 July 2008. Conference Presentation.
- Analyzing the Faërie World as a Model for Christian Spirituality: An Interpretation of Spiritual Progression in George MacDonald’s Fantasy Literature. 2008 Francis White Ewbank Colloquium on C.S. Lewis & Friends. Taylor University, Upland, IN, USA. 30 May 2008. Conference Presentation.
- Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: A Study of Irresistible Evil. Repression and Subversion in the 19th Century: A Graduate Conference. U of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, USA. 15 March 2003. Conference Presentation.