Areas of Expertise
My general research interest spans the areas of health services research, policy and management, health promotion and education, and occupation health and safety. The research agenda I have been pursing throughout my graduate studies until now is organized around the following main axes: (1) the evaluation of health outcome initiatives (HOIs), with an emphasis on cost effectiveness and policy impact of social-determinants-focused Health outcome initiatives; (2) the relationship between HOIs and population health, (3) the evaluation of state-by-state Medicaid-related policies and their impact on reimbursement, physician behavior, and cost-containment efforts; (4) the generation of new knowledge through the development of systematic reviews, meta-analyses, and overviews of reviews to support evidence-based practices in health care; (5) the evaluation and identification of the relationship between cost and disease prevalence, prevention and treatment options for chronic conditions; and (6) the association between risk factors both on an individual and organizational level, as well as worker safety and health.
The unifying theme and goal of my research agenda is to produce original and methodologically rigorous studies that are respected by, and relevant to, both practitioners and academics.
Doctorate in Philosophy in Health Services Policy and Management, August 2014, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
Master of Science in Health System Management, December 2009, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
Bachelor of Science in Biology, May 2007, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
Hanadi Hamadi is one of the junior faculty joining UNF in 2014. She has begun to demonstrate her achievement in scholarship by co-authoring one refereed article and is in the process of authoring or co-authoring multiple refereed articles. She also presented at several national conferences over the past several years. Dr. Hamadi has collaborated and continues to collaborate in the research area of value-based-purchasing and quality of hospital care with several faculty members from the MHA program. Currently, Dr. Hamadi is active locally serving on committees representing the program in her role as an assistant professor. She also serves as a peer-reviewer for many top journals.
- Outstanding Teaching Award, University of North Florida, Jacksonville, FL, 2019
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education’s standout scholars for 2019
- Business and Health Administration Association Best Paper Award: Chicago, IL, 2018
- Zhao, M., Hamadi, H.Y., Haley, D.R, Williams, C., Liu, X., Spaulding, A., (2019) The Relationship Between Health Information Technology Laboratory Tracking Systems and Hospital Financial Performance and Quality. Business and Health Administration Association Conference Proceedings
- Tafili, A.,2 Hamadi, H.Y., Apatu, E., Park, S., Spaulding, A., (2018) Evaluating the impact of minority population presence on hospital-acquired conditions performance scores. Business and Health Administration Association Conference Proceedings
- UNF Scholars Transforming Academic Research Symposium (STARS) Award winner: principal investigator who submitted a proposal for the "first time and received funding" University of North Florida, Jacksonville, FL, 2017
- Nominated for Outstanding Teaching Award, University of North Florida, Jacksonville, FL, 2018
- Finalist Outstanding Teaching Award, University of North Florida, Jacksonville, FL, 2017
Academy of Management Member (2016-present)
Association of University Programs in Health Administration Member (2015-present)
AcademyHealth Member (2013-present)
Southern Management Association Member (2011-present)
American Public Health Association Member (2010-present)
American College of Healthcare Executives Member (2008-present)
Grants and Contracts Awarded
TEACHING GRANTS RECEIVED
- Open Educational Resource (OER) Initiative, University of North Florida. Jacksonville, FL. Fall 2019 ($500)
- Open Educational Resource (OER) Initiative, University of North Florida. Jacksonville, FL. Spring 2019 ($1000)
- Blended with a Purpose: A Kickstarter for Designing and Developing Blended Courses Workshop, Hamadi, H.Y., University of North Florida. Jacksonville, FL. Summer 2015 ($1000)
- Course Redesign for Effective Learning (CREL)-Problem Based Learning Institute, Hamadi, H.Y., University of North Florida and the Worcester Polytechnic Institute on Problem-Based Learning. Jacksonville, FL. Summer 2015 ($500)
- Teaching Online Seminar (TOL 6100), Hamadi, H.Y., University of North Florida. Jacksonville, FL. Summer 2015 ($2000)
RESEARCH GRANTS RECEIVED
- The University of North Florida: Community Based learning Imitative, Hamadi, H.Y.,. 2019 ($350)
- The University of North Florida: Academic Affairs Faculty Scholarship Development Marcus E Drewa Distinguished Endowed Professorship Grant, Hamadi, H.Y., Birth Injury: A Predictive Factor Analysis of Prenatal and Birth Trauma in Florida. 2019-2020 ($5,000)
- Technology grant. Hamadi, H.Y., Organization Determinants of Patient Safety in Pediatric and Neonatal Care, University of North Florida. Jacksonville, FL. Summer 2016 ($500)
- The University of North Florida: Academic Affairs Faculty Scholarship Development Grant, Stallings-Smith, S., Hamadi, H.Y., The Impact of Smoke-free legislation on inequalities in secondhand smoke exposure among non-smoking adults with cardiovascular conditions in the United States. 2017-2019 ($20,000)
- Audi, GR; Hamadi, HY, “Mergers and Purchasing: Hospitals, Home-Health and Multi-Location Urgent Care Facilities.” 2012-2013 ($25,359)
Publications & Presentations
- Hamadi, H.Y., Borkar, S., Moody, L., Tafili, A., Wilkes, J., Franco, P., McCaughey, D., Spaulding, A., (In press) Hospital-Acquired Conditions Reduction Program, Patient Safety, and Magnet Designation in the United States. Journal of Patient Safety.
- Park, S., Hamadi, H.Y., Apatu,E., Spaulding, A., (In press) Hospital Partnerships in Population Health Initiatives. Population Health Management.
- Stalling-Smith, S., Hamadi, H.Y., Peterson, B., Apatu, E., Spaulding, A., (In press) Smoke-free policies and 30-day readmission rates for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. American Journal of Preventive Medicine.
- Zakari, N., Hamadi, H.Y., Audi, G., (2019) Cultural diversity Cultural diversity and work engagement in nursing: A qualitative case study analysis. Hospital Administration, 8(4). http://www.sciedupress.com/journal/index.php/jha/issue/view/804
- Hamadi, H.Y., Apatu, E., Park, S., Spaulding, A.,(In press) Medicare’ Hospital-Acquired Condition Reduction Program and Community Diversity in The United States: The Need to Account for Racial and Ethnic Segregation. Hospital Topics
- Zhao, M., Hamadi, H.Y., Haley, D.R., Williams, C., Liu, X., Spaulding, A.,(In press) The Relationship Between Health Information Technology Laboratory Tracking Systems and Hospital Financial Performance and Quality. Hospital Topics
- Spaulding, A., Hamadi, H.Y., Moody, L., Lentz, L., Liu, X., Wu, Y., (in press September 2019 issue) Do Magnet Designated Hospitals Perform Better on Medicare’s Value-Based Purchasing Program. Journal of Nursing Administration.
- Hamadi, H.Y., Moody, L., Apatu, E., Spaulding, A., (in press) Community Diversity and Hospitals Performance on 30-Day Risk-Standardized Readmission Rates. Journal of Community Hospital Internal Medicine Perspectives.
- Hamadi, H.Y., Probst, J.C., Khan, M.M., Tafili, A., (in press ;a head of print April 13, 2019) The Role of Training and Work-Related Injury on Home Health Workers’ Job satisfaction: Analysis of The Na2onal Home and Hospice Care Survey. Home Health Care Management & Practice
- Hamadi, H.Y., Apatu, E., Spaulding, A., Osagiede, O.2 (Ahead of print August 2018). Insight into Healthcare Services: A Characterization of Emergency Room Visits and Economic Hazards in the United States. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness. https://doi.org/10.1017/dmp.2018.75
- Spaulding, A., Stallings-Smith, S., Hamadi, H.Y, Park, S., Niazi, S., Apatu, E., (2019) A Community Health Case for Psychiatric Care: A Cross-Sectional Study of County Health Rankings. General Hospital Psychiatry, 57(March-April), 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2018.10.009
- Williams, C., Hamadi, H.Y, Cummings, C., & Zakari, N. M. (2019). Information processing in electronic medical records: A survey validation. Journal of evaluation in clinical practice, 5(1):97-103. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jep.13017
- Hamadi, H.Y, Apatu, E., Chung-Ping, L., Hyett, F., Walker, K., Spaulding, A., (2019) Impact of Minority Presence and Hospital Reimbursement Policy on Referral Region Health Rankings. Journal of Health planning and Management. Doi: 10.1002/hpm.2654
- Zakari, N.M., Hamadi, W., Smith, F., Hamadi, H.Y., (2018) Effectiveness of leadership capacity in delivering simulation education: a catalyst for change in Nursing. International Journal of Nursing Education; 10(4), 53-58
- Spaulding, A., Hamadi, H.Y., Martinez, L., Martin, T., Purnell, J., Zhao, M., (2019) Hospital Value-Based Purchasing and Trauma Certified Hospitals Performance. Journal of Healthcare Quality. doi: 10.1097/JHQ.0000000000000147
- Hamadi, H.Y., Kates, F., Audi, G., Larson, S., Kates, M., (2019) Enhancing and Impacting the Online Classroom Environment with Infographics. Elearning Magazine.
- Kates, F., Hamadi, H.Y., Audi, G., Larson, S.,2 Kates, M., . (2018) Integrating Technology: An Innovative Approach to Improving Online Discussion Boards . Elearning Magazine.
- Apatu, E., Hamadi, H.Y., Spaulding, A., (2019) Association between Hospital Community Services and County Population Health in the United States. Journal of Public Health. https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdy007
- Spaulding, A., Choate, S. *, Hamadi, H,Y., Zhao, M. (2018) The Impact of Hospitalists on Value-Based Purchasing Program Scores. Journal of Healthcare Management; 63(4), 43-58, doi: 10.1097/JHM-D-16-00035
- Hamadi, H.Y., Apatu, E., Spaulding, A., (2018) Does Hospital Ownership Influence Hospital Referral Region Health Rankings in The United States. International Journal of Health Planning and Management; 33(1), 168-180, doi: 1002/hpm.2442
- D.R., Hamadi, H.Y., Zhao, M., Xu, J., Wang, Y.2, (2017) Hospital Value-Based Purchasing: The Association between Patient Experience and Clinical Outcome. Health Care Manager, 36(4).
- Hamadi, H,Y., Spaulding, A., Haley, D.R., Zhao, M., Zakari, N.M., Tafili, A. 1(2017) Does Value-Based Purchasing Affect Hospital Utilization Pattern: A Comparative Study. International Journal of Healthcare Management. Doi: 10.1080/20479700.2017.1371388.
- Hamadi, H.Y., Probst, J.C., Khan, M.M., Bellinger, J., Porter, C., (2017) Determinants of Occupational Injury for US Home Health Aides Reporting One Or More Work-Related Injuries. Injury Prevention.
- Zakari, N. M., Hamadi, H.Y., Audi, G., Hamadi, W.Y.1, (2017) Impact of Simulation on Nursing Student’s Competence: A Perspective Qualitative Study in Saudi Arabia. International Journal of Nursing Education; 9 (2), 75-80.
- Hamadi, H.Y., Probst, J.C., Khan, M.M., Bellinger, J., Porter, C., (2016) Home-Based Direct Care Workers: Their Reported Injuries and Perceived Training Knowledge. Workplace Health and Safety, 64 (6) doi: 10.1177/2165079916630554.
- D.R., Zhao, M., Spaulding, A., & Hamadi, H.Y., Xu, J., Yeomans, K. 2, (2016) The Influence of Hospital Market Competition on Patient Mortality and Total Performance Score. Health Care Manager, 35 (3) doi: 10.1097/HCM.0000000000000117.
- Aboshaigah, A.E., Hamadi, H.Y., Salem, O. A., & Zakari, N.M., (2016) The Work Engagement of Nurses in Multiple Hospital Sectors in Saudi Arabia: A Comparative Study. Journal of Nursing Management, 24(4) doi: 10.1111/jonm.12356.
- D.R., Zhao, M., Spaulding, A., & Hamadi, H.Y., (2015) Hospital Characteristics and their Impact on Value-Based Purchasing. Austin Journal of Public Health and Epidemiology. 2(3): 1026 website: http://www.austinpublishinggroup.com/public-health-epidemiology/download.php?file=fulltext/ajphe-v2-id1026.pdf.
- Spaulding, A., Hamadi, H.Y., D.R., Zhao, M., & McCall, C. (2015) Perceptions of the Changing Healthcare Environment: A Floridian Perspective. Florida Public Health Review. 12, 49-57.
- Zakari, N.M., Hamadi, H.Y., Salem, O. A., & Eid, N.M. (2014) Developing an Understanding of Research-Based Nursing Pedagogy Among Clinical Instructors: A Qualitative Study. Nursing Education Today, 34(11): 1352-6 doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2014.03.011.
- Zakari, N.M., Al Khamis, N.I., & Hamadi, H.Y., (2010). Conflict and Professionalism: Perceptions Among Nurses in Saudi Arabia. [Multicenter Study Research Support, Non-U.S. Government]. International Nursing Review, 57(3), 297–304. doi: 10.1111/j.1466-7657.2009.00764.x.
- Zakari, N. M., Hamadi, H.Y., Salem, O. A., & Eid, N. M. (2009). Challenges and Opportunities—Intent of Saudi Nursing Students to Work with Older Population. Medical Journal of Cairo University, 77(4), 6.