Areas of Expertise
Experimental Solid State Physics, Nanotechnology
Ph.D. Applied Physics, Yale University (2009)
I went to college at Rice University, graduating in 2000 with majors in physics and English. After college, I enrolled in the Creative Writing Program at the University of Houston, earning an MFA in 2003. Then I pursued graduate studies in the Department of Applied Physics at Yale University, where I completed my PhD in 2009. My doctoral research was in the group of Prof. Daniel Prober. This research focused on exploring new behavior that emerges in electronic systems at very small length scales and on exploiting this behavior to develop new types of electronic and optoelectronic devices. After graduating, I continued this research at Yale for three years as a postdoctoral associate.
In the fall of 2012, I joined the faculty at UNF. In my lab at UNF, we are pursuing research in the areas of superconducting thin-film devices and the physics of low-dimensional conductors. This work is supported by the National Science Foundation through grants from the Electronics, Photonics, and Magnetic Devices Program and the CMMI Nanomanufacturing Program. Previous support came from a Cottrell College Science Award from Research Corporation for Science Advancement and the NASA-Florida Space Grant Consortium.
Publications & Presentations
- "Prospects for faster, higher-temperature superconducting nanowire single-photon detectors," D.F. Santavicca, Superconductor Science and Technology, in press (2018) [journal]
- "Expanding the molecular-ruler process through vapor deposition of hexadecanethiol," A.M. Patron, T.S. Hooker, D.F. Santavicca, C.P. Causey, and T.J. Mullen, Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology 8, 2339-2344 (2017) [journal]
- "Single-photon imager based on a superconducting nanowire delay line," Q.-Y. Zhao, D. Zhu, N. Calandri, A.E. Dane, A.N. McCaughan, F. Bellei, H.-Z. Wang, D.F. Santavicca, and K.K. Berggren, Nature Photonics 11, 247-251 (2017) [journal] [arXiv]
- "Terahertz spectroscopy of individual single-walled carbon nanotubes as a probe of Luttinger-liquid physics," J.D. Chudow, D.F. Santavicca, and D.E. Prober, Nano Letters 16(8), 4909-4916 (2016) [journal]
- "Microwave dynamics of high aspect ratio superconducting nanowires studied using self-resonance," D.F. Santavicca, J.K. Adams, L.E. Grant, A.N. McCaughan and K.K. Berggren, J. Appl. Phys. 119, 234302 (2016) [journal] [arXiv]
- "Aging of ultra-thin niobium films," D.F. Santavicca and D.E. Prober, IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond. 25, 2200104 (2015) [journal]
- "A plasmonic antenna-coupled superconducting near-IR photon detector," F.W. Carter, D.F. Santavicca and D.E. Prober, Optics Express 22, 22062 (2014) [journal]
- "Energy-resolved detection of single infrared photons with 8 micrometer wavelength using a superconducting microbolometer," B.S. Karasik, S.V. Pereverzev, A. Soibel, D.F. Santavicca, D.E. Prober, D. Olaya and M.E. Gershenson, Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 052601 (2012) [journal] [arXiv]
- "Efficient method for determination of terahertz optical activity," D.J. Aschaffenburg, M.R.C. Williams, D. Talbayev, D.F. Santavicca, D.E. Prober and C.A. Schmuttenmaer, Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 241114 (2012) [journal]
- "Terahertz detection mechanism and contact capacitance of individual metallic single-walled carbon nanotubes," J.D. Chudow, D.F. Santavicca, C.B. McKitterick, D.E. Prober and P. Kim, Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 163503 (2012) [journal] [arXiv]
- "Bolometric and nonbolometric radio frequency detection in a metallic single-walled carbon nanotube," D.F. Santavicca, J.D. Chudow, D.E. Prober, M.S. Purewal and P. Kim, Appl. Phys. Lett. 98, 223503 (2011) [journal] [arXiv]
- "Proposal for a GHz count rate near-IR single-photon detector based on a nanoscale superconducting transition edge sensor," D.F. Santavicca, F.W. Carter and D.E. Prober, Proc. SPIE 8033, 80330W (2011) [journal] [arXiv]
- "Energy loss of the electron system in individual single-walled carbon nanotubes," D.F. Santavicca, J.D. Chudow, D.E. Prober, M.S. Purewal and P. Kim, Nano Lett. 10, 4538 (2010) [journal] [arXiv]
- "Tunable superconducting nanoinductors," A.J. Annunziata, D.F. Santavicca, L. Frunzio, G. Catelani, M.J. Rooks, A. Frydman and D.E. Prober, Nanotechnology 21, 445202 (2010) [journal] [arXiv]
- "Reset dynamics and latching in niobium superconducting nanowire single photon detectors," A.J. Annunziata, O. Quaranta, D.F. Santavicca, A. Casaburi, L. Frunzio, M. Ejrnaes, M.J. Rooks, R. Cristiano, S. Pagano, A. Frydman and D.E. Prober, J. Appl. Phys. 108, 084507 (2010) [journal] [arXiv]
- "Energy resolution of terahertz single-photon-sensitive bolometric detectors," D.F. Santavicca, B. Reulet, B.S. Karasik, S.V. Pereverzev, D. Olaya, M.E. Gershenson, L. Frunzio and D.E. Prober, Appl. Phys. Lett. 96, 083505 (2010) [journal] [arXiv]
A full publication list can be found here.