Areas of Expertise
Applied Mathematics, Asymptotic Analysis, Perturbation Theory, Applied Probablity, Queueing Theory.
Ph.D. in Mathematics
University of Illinois at Chicago, IL, US, August 2010
M.S. in Statistics
University of Illinois at Chicago, IL, US, December 2008
M.S. in Applied Mathematics
Nankai University, Tianjin, China, June 2004
B.S. in Applied Mathematics
Nankai University, Tianjin, China, June 2001
I graduated with Ph.D in Mathematics from University of Illinois at Chicago in 2010, under the direction of Professor Charles Knessl. Since then, I have been in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at UNF.
My research interests are broadly speaking in applied mathematics and applied probability, and focus on applying the asymptotic analysis and singular perturbation techniques to analyze the behavior of random systems, such as queueing systems and queueing network.
Associate of the Society of Actuaries (ASA)
Grants and Contracts Awarded
Academic Affairs Faculty Scholarship Grants, University of North Florida, 2011.
Publications & Presentations
1. Q. Zhen and C. Knessl, Asymptotic Expansions for the Conditional Sojourn Time Distribution in the M/M/1-PS Queue, Queueing Systems 57 (2007) 157-168.
2. Q. Zhen and C. Knessl, On Sojourn Times in the Finite Capacity M/M/1 Queue with Processor Sharing, Operations Research Letters 37 (2009) 447-450.
3. Q. Zhen and C. Knessl, Asymptotic Expansions for the Sojourn Time Distribution in the M/G/1-PS Queue, Mathematical Methods of Operations Research 71 (2010) 201-244.
4. Q. Zhen and C. Knessl, On Sojourn Times in the M/M/1-PS Model Conditioned on the Number of Other Users, Applied Mathematics Research Express (AMRX) 2009 (2010) 142-167.
5. Q. Zhen, J.S.H. van Leeuwaarden, and C. Knessl, On a Processor Sharing Queue That Models Balking, Mathematical Methods of Operations Research 72 (2010) 453-476.
6. Q. Zhen and C. Knessl, An Explicit Solution to the Chessboard Pebbling Problem, Journal of Difference Equations and Applications 19 (2013) 201-208.
7. Q. Zhen and C. Knessl, On Spectral Properties of Finite Population Processor Shared Queues, Mathematical Methods of Operations Research 77 (2013) 147-176.
8. Q. Zhen and C. Knessl, Asymptotic Analysis of Spectral Properties of Finite Capacity Processor Shared Queues, Studies in Applied Mathematics 131 (2013) 179-210.
9. J. Sun, Z. Huang, Q. Zhen, J. Southworth, and S. Perz, Fractally Deforested Landscape: Pattern and Process in a Tri-national Amazon Frontier, Applied Geography 52 (2014) 204-211.
10.Q. Zhen and C. Knessl, Some Asymptotic Results for the Transient Distribution of the Halfin-Whitt Diffusion Process, European Journal of Applied Mathematics 26 (2015) 245-295.
11. Q. Zhen, J.S.H. van Leeuwaarden, and C. Knessl, On the Sojourn Time Distribution in a Finite Population Markovian Processor Sharing Queue, IMA Journal of Applied Mathematics 82 (2017) 33-59.