Areas of Expertise
Social Media, Library Marketing, Graphic Design, Student Outreach, Library Instruction, Reference Services
Florida State University (M.L.I.S., 2012)
University of North Florida ( M.A., English, 2009)
University of North Carolina at Greensboro ( B.A., English, 2006)
Maria Atilano is the Student Outreach Librarian at the University of North Florida's Thomas G. Carpenter Library in Jacksonville, Florida. She began working in academic libraries in 2002 as a student employee while studying at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Before becoming a librarian, Maria held staff positions as Library Services Specialist in Public Services and Sr. Library Services Associate in Special Collections at UNF. She graduated with her MLIS from Florida State University in 2012.
ALA Member (2010-present)
FLA Member (2010-present)
Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society, UNF
Beta Phi Mu – Gamma Chapter, FSU
Grants and Contracts Awarded
Race, Stephanie & Atilano, Maria (2017). Graphic Novels Under Attack. Freedom to Read Foundation Judith Krug Fund Banned Books Week Event Grant. Funded: $1,000
Publications & Presentations
For a full list of my publications, presentations, and other professional activities, please see my SelectedWorks
- Atilano, Maria. "Taking Care of Business: Why Libraries Should Incorporate Listening into their Social Media Goals." JLAMS, vol. 13, no. 1, 2017.
- Stewart, Margaret C., Atilano, Maria, & Arnold, Christa L. "Improving Customer Relations with Social Listening: A Case Study of an American Academic Library." International Journal of Customer Relationship Marketing and Management, vol. 8, no. 1, 2017, 49-63.
Hines, A. & Atilano, M. (2017). How to Post So Others Will Listen: Engaging Your Audience Through Social Media. Concurrent presentation at the 2017 Library Marketing and Communications Conference in Dallas, TX.
Atilano, M. (2016). Shut Up and Listen: How We Used Social Listening to Connect With Students and Build a Community. Concurrent presentation at the Library Marketing and Communications Conference in Dallas, TX.
Atilano, M. & Kuni, K. (2016). Outreach Across the Ages: Developing Programs and Partnerships for Adults from 18 to 80. Concurrent presentation at 2016 FLA Conference, Daytona Beach, FL.
- Atilano, M., Carmichael, L. R., Kucsak, M., Mosley, P., & Silvers, C. (2015, May) Connect, Explore, Soar: Innovative Technologies and Services in Library Learning Commons. Concurrent breakout session at 2015 FLA Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Atilano, M. Carmichael, L. R., & Silvers, C. (2015, May) Stop, Collaborate and Listen: Identifying Partnerships to Strengthen Your Libraryâ€™s Relevance in the Community. Concurrent breakout session at 2015 FLA Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Profera, E. & Atilano, M. (2014, November) "Punctuality is the thief of time:" The Earnest Pursuit of Social Media in the Library. Concurrent presentation at the 2014 Charleston Conference, Charleston, SC.
- Atilano, M. (2017). "Game On: Teaching Research Methods to College Students Using Kahoot!" Poster presentation at the SEFLIN Regional Conference at the Klovens Conference Center, Florida International University, Biscayne Bay Campus on July 27, 2017.
- Newton, L., Weiss, S., Atilano, M., & Silvers, C. (2016). "Assessing Success, One Student at a Time". Poster session at the FACRL Annual Program in Orange Park, FL on October 28, 2017.