Areas of Expertise
Economics of Poverty and Income Distribution; Urban and Regional Economics; Applied Microeconomics
University of Alabama
University of Alabama
Dr. Christopher Johnson is the Associate Dean of the Coggin College of Business at the University of North Florida and Associate Professor of Economics. Dr. Johnson earned a doctorate in economics from the University of Alabama in 2003 and has taught a range of courses including Microeconomic Theory, Business Statistics, Urban Economics, and the Economics of Poverty. His research primarily examines issues related to the distribution of income with a particular focus on individuals and households in the bottom of the income distribution and link between macroeconomic growth and changes in poverty and income distribution.
Dr. Johnson frequently presents his research at conferences and has published in a variety of academic outlets such as Applied Economics, Urban Studies, and Research on Economic Inequality, among others. He has also conducted economic impact studies for local businesses and agencies including the Sulzbacher Center and the Jacksonville Transportation Authority (JTA). Moreover, Dr. Johnson is engaged in community based research and teaching and he received a grant a few years ago to support the implementation of an organic garden for use with the culinary training program of the Clara White Mission for the Homeless, where he currently serves on the Board of Directors.
Outside of his professional work, Dr. Johnson enjoys spending time with his wife Jacquelyn and their three children. In addition, he holds a ministerial ordination in the African Methodist Episcopal Church and serves as the youth pastor for his local congregation.
- Commission on Diversity and Inclusion Research Award, 2015
- Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award, UNF. 2012
- Campus-Community Partnership Finalist, Florida Campus Compact, 2012
- Omicron Delta Epsilon, Economics Honor Society
- Beta Gamma Sigma, Honor Society for Collegiate Business Schools
- Phi Kappa Phi, Honor Society
- Southern Business Administrators Association (SBAA)
- Southern Regional Education Board (SREB), Doctoral Scholars Program
- National Economic Association
- Southern Economic Association
- Eastern Economic Association
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
Grants and Contracts Awarded
- “Willingness to Pay for Safe Drinking Water,” (with Chiradip Chatterjee and Russell Triplett), Funded by UNF Environmental Center, 2016.
- “The Economic Impact of the Palmetto Pipeline Project,” (with Harriet Stranahan), Funded by Kinder Morgan Company, 2016.
- “Gender and Ethnic Barriers to Building Trust,” (with Chiradip Chatterjee), Funded by UNF Commission on Diversity and Inclusion, 2015.
- “The Economic Effects of JTA Public Transit and Road Infrastructure,” Funded by Jacksonville Transit Authority, 2012.
- “The Cost of Homelessness and the Value of Homeless Services in the Jacksonville Metropolitan Area,” Funded by the Sulzbacher Center for the Homeless, 2008.
- “The Economic Impact of The National Missile Defense System on Alabama and Multi-County Regions in North Alabama and South Central Tennessee- 1998-2007.” (with John Formby and Keith Malone), Funded by the Boeing Company, January 2002.
- UNF Environmental Seed Grant, 2016
- Transformational Learning Opportunity (TLO) Grant for Clara White Mission Organic Gardening Project, 2010-2011
- Academic Affairs Summer Teaching Grant, 2011
- Academic Affairs Summer Research Grant, 2005
Publications & Presentations
Peer- Reviewed Publications
- “Equal or Nothing: Concern for fairness and reciprocity in trust games,” (with Chiradip Chatterjee), forthcoming, International Journal of Economic Behavior.
- “Perceptions of Quality and Household Water Usage: A Representative Study in Jacksonville, FL,” (with Chiradip Chatterjee, Russell Triplett, and Parvez Ahmed, 2019, International Advances in Economic Research, 25:195-208.
- “Exploring Changes in Poverty in South Carolina during the Great Recession using a Spatial Durbin Model,” (with Willis Lewis), 2018, Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, 48(2): 54-62.
- “The Willingness to Pay for Safe Drinking Water: A Contingent Valuation,” (with Chiradip Chatterjee, Russell Triplett, and Parvez Ahmed), 2017, Journal of Environmental Management, 203(2017): 413-421.
- “Wage Differentials for Pre-College Teachers to Solve Shortages and Quality Issues?” (with Paul Mason and Michael Fabritius), 2015, Journal of Economics and Economic Education Research, 16(1): 107-114.
- “Theories of Poverty: Traditional Explanations and New Directions,” (with Patrick Mason), in The Oxford Handbook of the Economics of Poverty, pp. 105-136, edited by Philip N. Jefferson. New York: Oxford University Press, October 2012.
- “Economic Growth and Poverty: A Tale of Two Decades” (with John P. Formby and Hoseong Kim). 2011. Applied Economics, 43(28): 4277-4288.
- “Potential Accessibility to and Actual Utilization of Hospital Services in Northeast Florida ,” (with Albert Loh and Sharon Cobb. 2009. Southeastern Geographer, 49(2): 171-184.
- “Mathematics Skills and Everyday Problem Solving” (with Andres Gallo). 2008. Journal of Economics and Finance Education, 7(1): 7-20.
- “The Effects of Comprehensive Income on Rural Poverty Measures,” 2008. Southern Business and Economic Journal, 31(1): 57-72.
- Differences in Poverty by Place of Residence: The Impact of Comprehensive Income.” 2008. Journal of Business and Behavioral Sciences, 17(1): 4-14.
- “A Re-count of Poverty in U.S. Central Cities: Just Who and Where are the Urban Poor?” 2007. Urban Studies, 44(12): 2283-2303.
- ““The Economic Impacts of Boeing’s Ground Based Missile Defense Segment on the State of Alabama: 1998 – 2007,” (with Keith Malone). 2007. Journal of Business, Industry and Economics, 9: 73 – 94.
- “Macroeconomic Performance and the Sen Index of Poverty: Estimates Based on State Data,”(with Hoseong Kim) Research on Economic Inequality, ed., John A. Bishop and Yoram Amiel, 12: 277-292
Works in Progress
- “The Economic Well-Being of American Indians,” (with Hoseong Kim), in revise and resubmit status for the Journal of Income Distribution.
- “A Re-examination of the Effects of Metropolitan Growth on Poverty during the 1990s,” (with Derrick Robinson).
- “Movers versus Stayers: The Economic Well-Being of Black Caribbean Immigrants vis-à-vis Black Natives,”
- “Gender, Racial and Ethnic Barriers to Building Trust: Experiments on Large Group Trust Games,” (with Chiradip Chatterjee)