Areas of Expertise
Public health, epidemiology, geospatial analysis (GIS), community mobilization, research design and methods, quantitative and qualitative analysis, health disparities and inequities, IRB, lactation, parenting practices & attachment
MPH, Health Education/Health Promotion, 1994, University of Arizona
BA, French/Anthropology, 1992, Arizona State University
Institute for American Universities (IAU College) Aix-en-Provence, France 1989-1990
CHES Certified (Certified Health Education Specialist) 1994-2002
National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Whitehall, PA
Katryne Lukens Bull, MPH is an Instructor in the Department of Public Health and the Program Director for the BSH in Public Health. She has worked in the field of public health including at the Arizona State Department of Health Diabetes Control Program, the Washington State Department of Health in the Office of the Secretary, and for the Florida Department of Health in Duval. She was at the University of Florida, College of Medicine Jacksonville in the Office of Research Affairs, Center for Health Equity and Qulaity Research for over 10 years.
She is actively involved with the community including Drug Free Duval, the School Health Advisory Council (SHAC), JaxYouthEquality.org and other LGBTQIA+ organizations, the Northeast Florida Lactation Coalition, Horse Sense and Sensitivity which provides theraputic riding. She is also involved internationally in Europe & Southeast Asia.
She is passionate about supporting breastfeeding mothers/families, working with the community to improve health, and supporting students through their educational journey to achieve their goals. She has mentored over 75 students (undergraduate, graduate, medical, residents & fellows) and countless professionals during her career.
American Public Health Association member 2012, 2016, 2018-current
Univerity of North Florida Department of Public Health Advisory Board, 2012-2019
Health Education and Behavior – reviewer 2019-current
School Health Advisory Board member 2014 – current
Health Education Sub-Committee Chair, 2014 – 2019, member 2019-current
Horse Sense and Sensitivity, Board Member; Treasurer (2016-2019) Chair (2019- current) and website owner/developer (2017-current), and volunteer
Duval Drug Epidemiology Network (Duval DEN) Member 2017 – current
Northeast Florida Lactation Coalition, Statistics Reporting, Website Owner/Developer and Member, 2005-current
Northest Florida GIS Member 2012-current
University of Florida, Institutional Review Board -03, Community Member, 2014.
The Journal of Attachment Parenting, 2014 edition. Contributor, Abstractor, Researcher, Editor. 2013 – 2015.
Grants and Contracts Awarded
CDC 1308 Grant to reduce STDs/HIV in adolescents 2013 - 2018 (http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/fundedpartners/1308/index.htm. Role: Grant Writer, FDOH-Duval Lead Evaluator, grants manager (for both the clinical and evaluation contracts: Total $150,000/year for 5 years) and epidemiologic surveillance: Youth Risk Behavior Survey (2013). Total award DCPS $275,000/year for 5 years.
Publications & Presentations
- Livingood, W. C., Bilello, L., Lukens-Bull, K., Smotherman, C., & Choe, U. (2019). Implementation Research as Applied Science: Bridging the Research to Practice Gap. Health Promotion Practice. https://doi.org/10.1177/1524839919858082
- Bilello LA, Livingood WC, Lukens-Bull K, Smotherman C, Choe U. Texting Test Results Reduces the Time to Treatment for Sexually Transmitted Infections. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2019 Mar/Apr;25(2):165-170. doi: 10.1097/PHH.0000000000000795.
- Livingood William C., Bilello Lori A., and Lukens-Bull Katryne A. Seeing the quality improvement forest through the quality improvement trees: A meta-synthesis of case studies in Florida and Georgia. SAGE Open Med. 2019 Apr 22;7:2050312119845703. doi: 10.1177/2050312119845703. eCollection 2019.
- Bayouth L, Lukens-Bull K, Gurien L, Tepas JJ, Crandall M. Twenty years of pediatric gunshot wounds in our community: have we made a difference? Journal of Pediatric Surgery 2019;54(1):160-4
- Livingood William C., Bilello Lori A., Choe Ulyee, and Lukens-Bull Katryne. Enhancing the Science of Discovery in Public Health Systems and Services Research Through Participatory Research Methods. Population Health Management. July 2017. https://doi.org/10.1089/pop.2017.0042
- Livingood WC, Bilello L, Lukens-Bull K, Choe U. Enhancing sexually transmitted infection notification: A quality improvement case report. Front Public Health Serv Sys Res 2016; 5(4):21–6. DOI: 10.13023/FPHSSR.0504.04.
- Livingood WC, Smotherman C, Lukens-Bull K, Aldridge P, Kraemer DF, Wood DL, Volpe C. Focusing on the Obvious, the Elephant: Livingood and Colleagues Respond. Popul Health Manag. 2016 Dec;19(6):462.
- Livingood WC, Smotherman C, Lukens-Bull K, Aldridge P, Kraemer DF, Wood DL, Volpe C. An Elephant in the Emergency Department: Symptom of Disparities in Cancer Care. Popul Health Manag. 2016 Apr; 19(2):95-101. doi: 10.1089/pop.2015.0118.
- Wood DL, Sawicki GS, Miller MD, Smotherman C, Lukens-Bull K, Livingood WC, Ferris M, Kraemer DF. The Transition Readiness Assessment Questionnaire (TRAQ): its factors structure, reliability, and validity. Academic Pediatrics. 2014; 14(4):415-22.
- Sanders K, Schnepel L, Smotherman C, Livingood W, Dodani S, Antonios N, Lukens-Bull K, Balls-Berry J, Johnson E, Miller T, Hodges W, Falk D, Wood D, Silliman S. Assessing the Impact of Health Literacy on Stroke Patient Education Retention. Prev Chronic Dis. 2014 Apr 10; 11:E55. doi: 10.5888/pcd11.130259
- Patel S, Hendry P, Kalynych C, Butterfield R, Lott M, Lukens-Bull K. The impact of third-hand smoke education in a pediatric emergency department on caregiver smoking policies and quit status: A pilot study. Int J Disabil Hum Dev 2012;11(4).
- Sawicki GS, Whitworth R, Gunn L, Butterfield R, Lukens-Bull K, Wood D. Receipt of Health Care Transition Counseling in the National Survey of Adult Transition and Health. Pediatrics 2011; August 8, 2011, doi:10.1542/peds.2010-3017
- Merten, J. W., Schafer, J., Lukens-Bull, K., & Newell, J. (2019, April). Partnership to develop and test a brief skin cancer risk assessment and referral intervention: Phase one health coach feasibility evaluation. Poster presented at the Art & Science of Health Promotion Annual Conference, Hilton Head, SC.
- Lukens Bull K, Gautam S, Guerrido E. Endemic Inequity: An Area Deprivation Index (ADI) in Northeast Florida. Oral presentation 146th APHA Annual Meeting (November 10-14, 2018) in San Diego, CA. Abstract, 414855.
- Montalvo D, Lukens Bull K. Paradoxically Latinx: Mental Health Outcomes in Duval, Florida. Poster Presentation, Latino Caucus program, APHA 2016 Annual Meeting & Expo (Oct. 29 - Nov. 2, 2016) in Denver, CO.
- Kaeley G, Monticalvo D, Smotherman C, Lukens-Bull K, Dodani S. Diagnostic musculoskeletal ultrasound (MSK-US) use lags MSK-MRI utilization in USA. European League against Rheumatism. Rome, Italy. Jun 2015.
- Lukens-Bull K, Butterfield R, Ridlen A. Exclusively breastfed: What effect has the change in JCAHO reporting had on breastfeeding policy and rates? Oral presentation 140th APHA Annual Meeting (October 27 - October 31, 2012) in San Francisco, CA. Abstract, 262365.
- Patel S, Hendry P, Kalynch C, Lukens Bull K. The Impact of Third hand Smoke Education in a Pediatric Emergency Department on Caregiver Smoking Policies and Quit Status: A Pilot Study. Break the Cycle of Environmental Health Disparities in Vulnerable Children Conference. Atlanta, GA. May 5, 2011.