Areas of Expertise
Economic Geography, Business GIS/Spatial Analysis, Geography of Finance, Offshore Finance, E-commerce, Economic Development & Planning
Ph.D. (1998), Economic Geography, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL. Dissertation: Global Finance and Offshore Financial Centers: A Case Study of the Isle of Man. Dr. Ed Malecki, Advisor. Minor: Finance and political economy.
M.S. (1987) Economic Geography, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID. Advisor: Dr. Harley Johansen. Thesis: The Impact of Railroad Abandonment on Small Town Economy in Idaho.
P.G.C.E (Post Graduate Certificate of Education), (1984) Geography and Mathematics, Manchester Polytechnic, Manchester, England.
B.Sc.(Hons), (1983) Geography, Sheffield University, Sheffield, England. Minor: Statistics.
2013-present: Professor, Department of Economics and Geography, Coggin College of Business, University of North Florida.
2014: Director, Accreditation and Assessment, Coggin College of Business, University of North Florida.
2005-2013: Associate Professor, Department of Economics and Geography, Coggin College of Business, University of North Florida.
2006-2007: Academic Director, International Business Pregram, Coggin College of Business, University of North Florida.
1999-2005: Assistant Professor, Department of Economics and Geography, Coggin College of Business, University of North Florida.
1998-1999: Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Economics and Geography, Coggin College of Business, University of North Florida.
1994-1998: Graduate Teaching Assistant, Department of Geography, University of Florida.
1993-1994: Adjunct Professor, Department of Geosciences, Florida Atlantic University.
1988-1992: Instructor, Geography Department, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
2013: Award for Best Paper for Journal of Geography, 2011 ‘Concept Mapping Strategies: Content, Tools and Assessment’ (With S. Wehry, H. Monroe-Ossi and C. Fountain, Florida Institute of Education).
2012: Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award, University of North Florida
2009: Outstanding Faculty Service Award, University of North Florida
2008: President, Phi Beta Kappa Alumni Association of Northeast Florida
2007: Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award, University of North Florida.
2005: Beta Gamma Sigma, elected April
2004: Phi Kappa Phi, elected March.
2003-05: Outstanding Researcher, Coggin College of Business
2002: Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award, University of North Florida.
1999-2007: Outstanding Teaching Award, Coggin College of Business
1998: Phi Beta Kappa, elected December.
Association of American Geographers; Southeast Divsion of the Association of American Geographers; Regional Science Association International; Florida Society of Geographers
Grants and Contracts Awarded
- 2011: Supply Chain Management Research Award, Transportation and Logistics Flagship Program, Coggin College of Business, University of North Florida.
- 2003: State Farm of Florida, Agent Field Executive Marketing Assistance Project, with J. Will, ($16,918)
- 2003: State Farm of Florida, Agent Allocation Modeling using GIS, with J. Will, ($37, 682)
- 2002: Florida Department of Children and Families/Family Support Services, GIS Site Development Project for Child Protective Services, with J. Will, ($79,498)
- 1996: National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant #SBR-9600490, ($8,961)
Publications & Presentations
- 2016 Baliamoune- Lutz, M. and S.C.Cobb â€œEvolutionary Economic Geography for OFCs: Do political ties to the onshore reduce capital inflow volatility?â€ Growth and Change: A Journal of Urban and Regional Policy 47 (4) pp. 535-555.
forthcoming, Growth and Change: A Journal of Urban and Regional Policy
- 2013 Baliamoune - Lutz and S.C. Cobb â€œThe Impact of Foreign Direct Investment in Offshore Financial Centersâ€,Interdisciplinary Journal of Economics and Business Law.
- 2012 Tuzla, H. Ogden, I and S.C. Cobb, â€œEvaluation of Retail Store Location Alternatives for Investment Decisions Using Delphi Technique and Geographic Information Systemsâ€, International Business: Research, Teaching and Practice (IBRTP).
- 2012 Wehry, S. Monroe- Ossi,H., S.C. Cobb and C. Fountain, â€œConcept Mapping Strategies: Content, Tools and Assessmentâ€, Journal of Geography, 2012, Vol. 111 (3), pp. 83-92.
- 2011 S. C. Cobb, â€œOffshore Financeâ€, Encyclopedia of Geography, ed. B Warf. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Reference, pp. 2072-74.
- 2009 S. C. Cobb, â€œRe-Defining â€˜Offshoreâ€™ in Latin Americaâ€ Growth and Change: A Journal of Urban and Regional Policy, 2009, 40, #2, pp. 332-356.
2009 Sharon C. Cobb, Chung-Ping Loh and Chris Johnson â€œPotential Accessibility to and Actual Utilization of Hospital Services in Northeast Floridaâ€, Southeastern Geographer, 49(2): 171-184.
- 2008 Cobb, S. C., Book Review: Information and Communications Technologies in Rural Society: Being rural in a digital age, edited by Grete Rusten and Sarah Skerratt: Routledge, 2008. 183pp. ISBN 0-415-41116-5. for Growth and Change, forthcoming, December, 2008.
- 2008 Cobb, S., Will J., and T. Cheney, â€˜Floridaâ€™s Changing Rainbow: Identifying Emerging Markets Through the Examination of Racial Composition and Demographic Change in Floridaâ€™ Population Research and Policy Review, published Online May 28, 2008
- 2006 Cobb, S. and A. Williams, â€œAffordable Housing and Competition for Land: Searching for Sites at the Beachâ€, The Florida Geographer, 37, pp. 88-102.
- 2005 Cobb, S.C., â€œTrading Patterns, Globalâ€, The Encyclopedia of the Developing World, ed. T. Leonard, New York: Routledge Press, pp. 1565-1568.
- 2005 Cobb, S. Book Review: The Global Internet Economy, B. Kogut, ISBN 0-262-61204-6, Growth and Change, 36, (3), pp. 443-445.
- 2004 Cobb, S., â€œLeaving children behind? Depends on where you liveâ€, Southeastern Geographer, 44, (2), pp.46-49.
- 2004 Cobb, S.C. and D.P. Purcell, â€œCredit Unions on the Financial Landscape: Geographical Strategies of Expansion and Service.â€ The Industrial Geographer, 2, (1), pp. 49-71.
- 2004 Cobb, S.C., â€œWhy offshore? Exploring the geographies of offshore financial centersâ€, in Warf, B., Hansen, K., & D. Janelle, eds., WorldMinds: Geographical Perspectives on 100 Problems: Commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the Association of American Geographers, Kluwer Press, pp. 237-242.
- 2003 Cobb, S.C., â€œOffshore financial services and the Internet: Creating confidence in the use of cyberspaceâ€, Growth and Change, 34, (2), pp. 244-259.
- 2003 Cobb, S.C. and M. Covey, â€œUsing a Geographic Information System to Examine the Relationship Between Access to Technology and the Academic Achievement of Primary and Secondary Studentsâ€, Southeastern Geographer, 43, pp.293-306.
- 2001 Cobb, S.C., â€œGlobalization in a small island context: Creating and marketing competitive advantage for offshore financial servicesâ€, Geografiska Annaler, 83 (B), pp. 161-174.
- 2001 Cobb, S.C., â€œInternet Economies and the Online Recruiting Industryâ€, in Brunn, S.D., & T.R. Leinbach, eds., Worlds of E-Commerce, New York: Wiley.
- 1999 Cobb, S.C., â€œThe role of corporate, professional and personal networks in the provision of offshore financial servicesâ€, Environment and Planning A, 31, pp. 1877-1892.
- 1998 Cobb, S.C., â€œGlobal Finance and the Growth of Offshore Financial Centers: The Manx Experienceâ€, Geoforum, 29, pp. 7-21.
- 2003 Cobb, Sharon C., Bauer, Jill, Cheney, Tim and Jeffry Will, Agent Allocation Modeling Project, Jacksonville, FL: The Florida Center for Public Policy and Leadership, August.
- 2003 Cobb, Sharon C., Bauer, J., Cheney, T. and J. Will, Agency Field Executive Marketing Assistance Project, Jacksonville, FL: The Florida Center for Public Policy and Leadership, October.
- 2002 Cobb, S.C., Browning, K., and J. Will, Site Development Assistance Project, Jacksonville, FL: The Florida Center for Public Policy and Leadership.
- 2002 Cobb, S.C., â€œThe use of the Internet as a delivery medium for offshore financial services: Preliminary findingsâ€, Proceedings of the Second Annual International Research Seminar, University of North Florida, February, Warsaw: University of Warsaw, School of Management and the Center for Europe.
- 1997 Cobb, S.C., â€œGlobal Finance and Offshore Financial Centers: A Case Study of the Isle of Man, Summary Reportâ€, Manx Business Connection Newsletter, Spring.