Areas of Expertise
Teaching- Life Span Nutrition, Nutrition and Dietetics Research Methods, Public Health Practice, Food and Society/Culture
Research - Food and culture/arts/literature/marketing; nutrition education
Dr. P.H. Doctor of Public Health
1981 University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston School of Public Health
M.A. Master of Arts in Home Economics (Nutrition)
1974 Minor: Anthropology
University of Texas at Austin
B.A. Bachelor of Arts with High Honors (Phi Beta Kappa/Phi Kappa Phi)
1970 University of Texas at Austin
Judy Perkin received her Doctor of Public Health degrees from the University of Texas School of Public Health and her masters and undergraduate degrees from the University of Texas at Austin. She is a Registered Dietitian and a Certified Health Education Specialist. She has held numerous administrative posts in higher education including have been Dean of the College of Health Sciences and Human Services at the University of Texas Pan American in Edinburg, Texas. At the University of North Florida, she has served as Associate Dean for the Brooks College of Health and as Chair of the Department of Public Health. She is a past President of both the Florida Public Health Association and the Florida Dietetic Association. She is currently a Professor in the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics.
AWARDS AND HONORS
2010 Florida Dietetic Association President’s Mentor Award
2010 UNF Faculty Empowerment Award
2008 Presidential Award, Florida Public Health Association
2007 Brooks College of Health Meritorious Service Award
2006 Florida Dietetic Association President’s Mentor Award
2004 Presidential Award, Florida Public Health Association
2001-03 Public Health Scholar/Fellow- National Public Health Leadership Institute ( Centers for Disease Control, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill School of Public Health, Kenan-Flagler Business School and the Center for Creative Leadership)
2000 Recipient of 2000 Presidential Award - Florida Public Health Association
1998 Outstanding Leadership Team Award for Region 4 (Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, South and North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware) - The Chair Academy
1996 Recognition for Outstanding Contributions in the development of the University
of Texas Medical Branch - Galveston and University of Texas - Pan American Physician Assistant Program
1994 LEADERSHIP TEXAS. Class of 1994
1986, 1989, 1990 Outstanding Service Award - American Dietetic Association
1988 Citation in Who's Who in the South and Southwest
1984, 1985, 1987 Recipient of the Presidential Citation - Florida Public Health Association
1978, 1979, 1980, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991 Nominee of the Clinical and Community Dietetics Student Association for Outstanding Teacher of the Year for the College of Health Related Professions/ Program Teacher of the Year
1986 Distinguished Dietitian of Florida Award - Florida Dietetic Association
1985 Outstanding Department Teacher of the Year - Health Education (Awarded by the
College Student Council - College of Physical Education, Health and Recreation)
1985 Citation in the International Directory of Distinguished Leadership
1979 Citation in Outstanding Young Women of America
American Dietetic Association
Florida Dietetic Association
Florida Public Health Association
Southern Health Association
Association for the Study of Food and Society
American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance
Grants and Contracts Awarded
1) Contract – Duval County Health Department. Educational Training and In-Service Activities for the Duval County Health Department, $33,250.
2) $12,500. Christie, C., Weerts, S., Correa-Matos, N. J., Rodriguez, J., Perkin, J. E., Watkins, J. A. & Santibanez, D. (2006). UNF nutrition faculty proposal for manual of medical nutrition therapy reviewer. Florida Dietetic Association.
3) $ 200 University of North Florida Mini-Grant- Awarded February 2001 Purpose To support research dealing with U.S. public health nutritionists’ views of MPH Community Nutrition curriculum
All of the Above are at UNF. Others - Previous to UNF Employment.
Publications & Presentations
1)Perkin, J. Diet and Arthritis. in Manual of Medical Nutrition Therapy. ( Christie, C. Ed.) Orlando,Florida: Florida Dietetic Association, 2009 ( Online)
2)Perkin, J. Caffeine and Health in Manual of Medical Nutrition Therapy. ( Christie, C. Ed.) Orlando,Florida: Florida Dietetic Association, 2009 ( Online)
3)Perkin J and Mella S. Nutrition Education and Counseling in The Florida Medical Nutrition Therapy
Manual . ( Christie, C. Ed.) Orlando, Florida: Florida Dietetic Association, 2005. pp. A2.1-A2.18.
4)Perkin J. Allergies and Intolerances. In Nutrition and Wellbeing A to Z. D. James Editor. FarmingtonHills, Michigan: Thomas Gale and Macmillan Reference USA, pp. 26-30, 2004.
5)Perkin, J.: Design and use of questionnaires in research. In Research: Successful approaches (Second Edition). E.R. Monsen, Ed. Chicago, Illinois: American Dietetic Association, pp. 211-226, 2003.
6) Perkin, J.E.: Food Allergies and Intolerance ( Chapter IV.E.5) in The Cambridge World History of Food., Kiple KF., Onelas, KC Eds. Cambridge, United Kingdom & Madrid, Spain: Cambridge University Press, pp. 1048-1057, 2000.
7)Perkin, J ."Nursing and Allied Health Professionals in Rural America" in Encyclopedia of Rural
America. Volume 2. Goreham, G. Ed., ABC-CLIO, Inc, pp. 449-502, 1997.
8)Perkin, J. Effective Use of Graphics In Communicating as Professionals, (Second Edition), Invited Contributor to Peer Reviewed Publication of the American Dietetic Association, Chicago, Illinois, pp. 165-171, 1994.
9)Perkin, J. HIV Infection and High Risk Youth, High Risk Youth, Gray H., Nelson, D., Cato, B., and Varnes, P. Eds. The American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, pp. 72-83, 1994.
10)Perkin, J., and Doering, P.: Nutrition and HIV Infection in Shands Hospital at the University of Florida Guide to Clinical Dietetics. Dubuque, Iowa: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company, pp. 113-122, 1993.
11)Perkin, J.: Design and use of questionnaires in research In Research: Successful Approaches, E.R. Monsen, Ed. Chicago: The American Dietetic Association, pp. 111-120, 1992.
12)Perkin, J.: Developing Tables, Graphs and Figures in Communication as Professionals. R. Chernoff, Ed. Chicago: American Dietetic Association, pp. 29-33, 1986.
13) Lieberman, L. and Perkin, J.: Chapter 11: The American Food System: Conflicts and Controversies: in Training Manual in Nutritional Anthropology, Special Publication No. 20, American Anthropological Association, pp. 128-135, 1986.
14) Perkin, J. and McCann, S.: Food for Ethnic Americans: Is the Government Trying to Turn the Melting Pot into a One Dish Dinner? In Ethnic and Regional Foodways in the United States, L. Brown and K. Mussell, Eds. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press, pp. 238-258,1984.
Book Perkin, Judy E. (Editor): Food Allergies and Adverse Reactions. Gaithersburg, MD.: ASPEN Publishers, Inc., 1990.
Sole Author of the Following Chapters:
1) Perkin, Judy E.: Major Food Allergens and Principles of Dietary Management. pp. 51-67.
2) Perkin, Judy E.: Maternal Influences on the Development of Food Allergy in the Infant. pp. 81-115.
3) Perkin, Judy E.: Adverse Reactions to Food Additives and Other Food Constituents. pp. 129-170.
4) Perkin, Judy E.: Adverse Reactions: Relationship to Arthritis and Migraine pp. 171-187.
5) Perkin, Judy E.: Controversies in Food Allergy and Adverse Reactions. pp. 233-242
Also APPENDICES A-K Topics: Allergy Management Guidelines and Product Information, pp. 243-276.
Solicited Articles, Monographs, and Reviews (Non-Refereed)
1)Perkin, J.: Facing the Health Policy Challenge of HIV Infection National Forum. Vol LXXIII. No. 3:45-47, Summer, 1993.
2)Perkin, J.: Total Quality Management in Higher Education. Winter 1993 University of Florida Phi Kappa Phi Newsletter.
3)Perkin, J.: Oysters: An Additional Caution and Making a Good Thing Better: Adding More Calcium to Milk! Directions in Applied Nutrition 1(2):8, December 1986.
4)Perkin, J.: Children's Cereals: Nutritional Considerations Directions in Applied Nutrition 1(9):3-4, July 1987.
5) Perkin, J.: "Healthy Waters. Seltzer versus Mineral" Directions in Applied Nutrition 2(1):8, November 1987.
Professional Practice Journal Articles
1) Perkin, J. The Importance of the Laboratory-Dietitian Link. Advance for Administrators of the Laboratory 11 (10): 20, October 2002.
2) Perkin, J. and Klein, L.: Joining a stress management team in The Community Nutritionist 1(16): 15-18, November-December 1982.Pamphlet
Webb, C. and Perkin, J. The American Dietetic Association Public Health Nutritionist Practice Group Public Relations and Advocacy Resource Packet, The American Dietetic Association, 1983.
Continuing Education Course
Perkin, JE. Metallic Environmental Contaminants- Behavior and Nutrition. Professional Development Resources, Fall 2007 – Present Online
1) Perkin, JE, Skinner, B. The cookbook as a tool for teaching about food and culture. DEP Line, Spring 2009, 5-8 (Online )
2) Christie, C., Watkins, J. A., Martin, A., Jackson, H., Perkin, J. E. & Fraser, J. (2006). Assessment of client satisfaction in six urban WIC clinics. Florida Public Health Review 3, 35-42.
3) Perkin, JE, Christie C, Hayes D. Public Health Practitioner Expert Opinion for Recommending
Revisions to a Community Nutrition MPH Curriculum. Florida Public Health Review 2: 126-130, 2005.
4) Gerald, B. and Perkin, J.E. American Dietetic Association Position Paper on Food and Water Safety. Journal of the American Association 103 (9): 1203-1218, 2003.
5) Perkin, J.E., Wilson, W.J., Schuster, K., Rodriguez, J.J., Allen-Chabot, A.: Prevalence of nonvitamin, nonmineral supplement usage among university students. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 102(3): 412-414, March 2002.
6) Perkin, J.E., Rahr, R.R., Kurial, M.: Health Promotion and wellness in U.S. Physician Assistant Programs to Perspective on Physician Assistant Education 12(1):5-12, Winter 2001.
7) Perkin, J.E.: Food-dependent, exercise -induced anaphylaxis. Topics in Clinical Nutrition 16(1):24-36, December 2000.
8) Perkin, J.E.: The latex and food allergy connection. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 100(11):1381-1384, November 2000.
9) Perkin, J. Update on food allergy research. Topics in Clinical Nutrition 1994; 9(3): 22-32, June 1994.
10) Bandy,C. E., Guyer, L., Perkin, J., Probart, C.K.., and Roderick, G. E.: Nutrition attitudes and practices of HIV-Infected Individuals in Southeast Florida: Unproven Nutrition Therapies. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 93(1) 70-72, January 1993.
11) Perkin, J. and Kauwell, G.: A survey of computer education in coordinated undergraduate programs. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 89(10): 1500-1502, October 1989.
12) Perkin, J., Crandall, L. A., and McCann, S. F.: Ethnicity and Food Stamp participation: effect upon nutrient intakes of low-income mothers served by a North Florida family practice center. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 88(9):1081-1086, September 1988.
13) Perkin, J. and Crandall, L.A.: A survey of nutrition education in curricula of physician assistant training programs. Journal of Nutrition Education 17(5): 185-187, December 1985.
14) Adams, R. and Perkin, J., Prevalence of: intestinal parasites in children living in an unincorporated area in northern rural Florida. Journal of School Health 55(2):76-78, February 1985.
15) Perkin, J. and Kelly, J.: A nutrition update for the athlete. Journal of the Florida Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance 22(2): 3-4, May 1984.
16) Perkin, J.: Evaluating a nutrition education program for pregnant teenagers: cognitive versus behavioral outcomes. Journal of School Health 53(7):420-422, September 1983.
17) Perkin, J. and Hartje, J. Diet and migraines: A review of the literature. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 83(4): 459-463, October 1983.
18) Perkin, J.E.: Maternal influences on the development of food allergy in the infant. Topics in Clinical Nutrition 5(4):6-34, October 1990. (Reprint of Book Chapter)
1) Perkin J ( Accepted for February 2012) Friendship and Baked Goods: Cooking and Eating as Love, Survival, and Reconcilitation. 7th Annual Conference on Food Representation in Literature, Film, and the Arts, San Antonio, Texas
2) Perkin, J, Howell PM, Christie, C, Chang, K. ( 2011 June) Food Trends in Good Housekeeping ( 1950-2010) Presented at the Food and Agriculture Under the Big Sky Conference sponsored by the Agriculture, Food, and Human Values Society, the Association for the Study of Food and Society, and the Society for Anthropology of Food and Nutrition, Missoula, Montana.
3) Perkin, J. ( 2009 October) Linking Allied Health and An Arts and Sciences Program—Teaching An Interdisciplinary Course—Food, Health, and Society. Presented at the 2009 Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions Conference, San Antonio, Texas.
4) Perkin, J. (2008 February) “The Writings of Erskine Caldwell: Food, Hunger, Nutrient
Deficiency, and Deep South Identify in the Era of the Great Depression” . Presented At the 5h Interdisciplinary and Multicultural Conference on Food Representation in Literature, Film, and the Other Arts, San Antonio, Texas, February 2008.
5)Martin, A., Christie, C., Watkins, J. A., Perkin, J.E., & Roberts, L. (2006, July). “Assessment of client satisfaction in six urban clinics.” Florida Dietetic Association Annual Symposium, Orlando, FL
6) Perkin J. “Food, Southern Identity, and the Short Story in Popular Media.” Presented At the 4th Interdisciplinary and Multicultural Conference on Food Representation in Literature, Film, and the Other Arts, San Antonio, Texas, February 2006.
7) Perkin, J, Christie, C, Hayes, D. “Public Health/Community Nutrition Practice Group Views of Community Nutrition Master of Public Health Curriculum.” Poster Presented at the American Dietetic Association Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo, San Antonio, Texas, October 2003.
8) Perkin, J. “Contemporary Southern Literature and Food- An Analysis from a Health Prospective” Presented at the 2nd Interdisciplinary and Multicultural Conference on Food Representation in Literature, Film, and the Other Arts, San Antonio, Texas, February 2002.
9) Perkin, J., Chally, P.: “Dietetic Standards of Education – A Comparison With Other Health Professions.” Accepted at the American Dietetic Association Food and Nutrition Conference and Exhibition, Oct. 2001.
10) Perkin, J., Chally, P.: “Content Analysis Research: A Comparison of Accreditation/Approval Standards Among the Allied Health and Nursing Professions.” Presented at the 2001 World Congress III of Health Professions, March 29-30, 2001. San Juan, Puerto Rico.
11) Nolin, J., Perkin, J.E., and Chally, P.S.: “Corporate Partnership in Allied Health Education: An Employer-Driven Program.” Presented at 2000 Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions Annual Conference, October 25-29, 2000, Las Vegas, Nevada.
12)Perkin, J.E.: “Creating an Environmentally Well Campus.” Conference Proceedings. WELLNESS 2k! pp. 21-24. University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, 2000.
13)Perkin, J. and Rahr, R.: "Using Technology and Innovation to Develop A Program for Minority Students". Presented at the Sixth National Conference on College Teaching and Learning, Jacksonville, Florida, April 1995.
14)Perkin, J. and Kauwell, G.: "Computer Education in U.S. Coordinated Undergraduate Programs and U.S. Dietetic Practice." (Presented at First World Congress on Allied Health, Elsinore, Denmark, June 14-17, 1988 and American Dietetic Association Annual Meeting, 1988.)
15)Puckett, R. and Perkin, J.: "Clinical Facilities Task Force: A Model Link Between Education and Practice." Presented at American Dietetic Association Annual Meeting, 1988.
16)Chen, W, Tennant, K, Allen, R, Perkin, J, and Lafferty, J.: "An Investigation of a Multi-Dimensional Approach to Weight Reduction." Presented at the American Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance Annual Meeting, April 15, 1987.
17)Chen, W, Tennant, K, Allen, R, Perkin, J, and Lafferty, J.: "The Effects of Biofeedback Relaxation Training and Behavior Modification/Nutrition Education on Weight Reduction." Presented at the American Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance Southern District Convention, February 26-March 1, 1987.
18)Perkin, J, Crandall, L and McCann, S.: "Ethnicity and Food Stamp Program Participation: Effect Upon Dietary Intakes of Low Income Mothers Served by a North Florida Family Practice Center." Presented at the American Dietetic Association Annual Meeting, October 1986.
19) Perkin, J.: "Prevalence of Intestinal Parasites in Children Lining in an Unincorporated Area in Northern Rural Florida." Presented at the Eighth Annual Institute of the American Rural Health Association, 1984.
20) Perkin, J, Crandall, L, and Fredette, A.: "Assessment of Food Habits as a Tool for Nutrition Program Planning." Presented at the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, 1980
1) Perkin, J. “What the Dietitian Needs From the Laboratory” Presented through the Teleconference Network of the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, April 2004.
2) Perkin, J. “ Nutritional Assessment: What the Dietitian Needs from the Laboratory. Presented at the World Congress Joint meeting of the International Association of Medical Laboratory Technologists and the American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science. August 2002, Orlando, Florida.
3) Perkin, J.: “ Breastfeeding and Maternal Health” Presented at the 3rd National Women’s Health and Research Conference, 1998, Gainesville, Florida (Paper Published in Proceedings in 1999).
4)Perkin, J., Felkner, M. Villas. P., and Garza D.: “Binational and Bicultural Aspects of Health Education on the Texas Mexico Border.” Presented at the 38th World Congress, International Council for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Sport and Dance. July 9-16, 1995, Gainesville,Florida
5) Perkin, J.: "Nutrition Intervention for Women and Children with HIV Infection and AIDS". U.S. Department of Agriculture National WIC Conference, Denver, Colorado, August 1993.
6) Perkin, J.: "Food Allergies in the Mother and Infant." (Presented at September 1992 Conference - "Nutrition for Mothers and Infants at Risk." Sponsored by the March of Dimes, American Dietetic Association, the Department of Health and Human Services, Richmond, Virginia).
7) Perkin, J.: "Infant Food Allergies." (Presented at 1992 Infant Swimming Research Symposium, Orlando, Florida, March 1992.)
8) Perkin, J.: "Nutrition and HIV Infection." (Presented at March 1992 Annual Meeting of the American European Dietetic Association, Montreux, Switzerland).Sponsored by Bristol Myers-Squibb/Mead Johnson.
9)Perkin, J.: "AIDS, Women and Children in Florida." (Presented at U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Region Four Public nutrition Continuing Education workshop, June 1990.)
10) Perkin, J.: "Adverse Food Reactions and Disease." (Presented at American European Dietetic Association, Paris, France, March 1990.)
11) Perkin, J.: "Nutrition and HIV Infection" and "Maternal Diet and Food Sensitivity in Offspring" 1989, 1990, 1992, and 1993 Intensive Courses in Maternal Nutrition. Sponsored by Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Florida and Office of Maternal and Child Health, U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services.
12)Perkin, J.: "Issues in Public Health Nutrition." Presented at the American Dietetic Association Annual Meeting, 1984.
13)Perkin, J.: "Panel: Writing for Publication." Presented at the American Dietetic Association Meeting, 1984.
14)Coordinator, 1979 National Nutrition Consortium Forum for the Southeastern United States
Perkin, J. Working with Upper Administration: What Dietetic Programs Need to Know. Presented at the Dietetic Educators of Practitioners Area 3 Spring Meeting, Gulfport, Mississippi, March 2004
1) “ Diet and Breast Cancer Prevention” 2010 Breast Cancer Update, University of Central Florida, October 2010
2) “Obesity, Culture, Environment, and Epidemiology “ Florida Society for Parenteral and
Enteral Nutrition Annual Meeting, September 2004.
3) “Meeting the Needs of Public Health Workforce- What are our Schools of Public Health Doing?” 2003 Annual Meeting of the Florida Public Health Association, August 2003.
4)"Food-Dependent, Exercise-Induced Anaphylaxis." 2000 Annual Meeting of the Florida Alliance of Health, Recreation, Dance, and Driver Education October 2000.
5)"Update on Hispanic Health Issues." 1999 Annual Meeting of the Florida Public Health Association, August 1999.
6)"Valley Health Care Professionals Needs Assessment." The Fourth U.T. System Texas-Mexico Border Health Symposium, South Padre Island Texas, October 1996.
7)"Health Care Workforce Initiatives: School of Health Sciences, University of Texas-Pan American." The Third U.T. System Texas-Mexico Border Health Symposium, South Padre Island, Texas, October 22, 1994.
8)"Food Allergies and Adverse Food Reactions." Florida Schools Conference - Working Toward Wellness in Florida School, July 1993.
9)"Nutrition and HIV Infection - Women and Children." April 1993, Mississippi State WIC Workshop, Jackson, Mississippi.
10)"Food Allergies in Mothers and Infants." March 1993 Symposium for Lactation Training Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
11)"Cancer: Nutritional Myths and Realities." November 1992 Cancer Care Conference, Halifax Medical Center, Regional Oncology Center.
12)"Maternal Diet and Food Sensitivities," "Nutrition and HIV Infection." September 1992, Florida Health and Rehabilitative Services State WIC Conference.
13)"Nutrition and HIV Infection" State of Florida HRS AIDS Patient Care Conference, November 1991 and the First Florida HIV Conference of the Florida AIDS Education and Training Network, May 1992 and the Second Florida HIV Network Conference May 1993.
14)"Grant Writing." June, 1991, Florida Dietetic Association Annual Meeting.
15)"Food Allergies." 1991 Maine Dietetic Association Annual Meeting, May 1991 and Florida Dietetic Association Annual Meeting, June 1991.
16)"Update: Food Allergies and Adverse Food Reactions." 1991 Florida Association of Professional Health Educators Annual Meeting, January 1991.
17)"Nutrition and HIV Infection." 1990 Annual meeting of the Florida Association of County Health Officers, January 1990.
18)"Nutrition and HIV Infection." 1988 Annual Meeting of the Florida Dietetic Association, June 1988 and WIC Regional meetings, Miami and Tampa 1989.
19)"Nutrition and the Elderly." 1989, University of Florida Geriatric Education Center Summer Development Workshop.
20)"Nutrition and AIDS." 1987 Annual Meeting of the Florida Public Health Association.
21)"Nutrition Evaluation and Recommended Dietary Plans for the Cardiac Patient" Symposium: Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation - Status '87, February 1987.
22)"Nutrition Education for Physicians and Physician Assistants." 1985 Florida Dietetic Association Annual Meeting.
23)"Diet and the College Student." 1985 Annual Meeting of the Florida Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance.
24)"Intestinal Parasites." October 1985, University of Florida Pediatric Nursing Continuing Education Conference.
25)“The Food-Behavior Connection”. November 1985, State of Florida Department of Education Food and Nutrition Management Annual Fall Conference.
26)“Computers in Dietetics.” May 1984, Health and Human Services Southeast Regional Meeting.
27)“Florida Public Health Association Haiti Project.” 1983 Annual Meeting of the Florida Public Health Association.
28)“Educational Considerations Regarding Sexuality and Aging” (for Dr. Barbara Rienzo). 1983 Annual Meeting of the Florida Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance..
29)"Socioeconomic Factors and Nutrition." September 1982 Annual Meeting of the Florida Public Health Association.
30)"U.S. Dietary Guidelines and Ethnic Groups." 1982 Florida Dietetic Association Annual Meeting.
31)"Diet for Athletes." 1982 Annual Meeting of the Florida Alliance for Health, Physical Education and Dance.