Areas of Expertise
Hermeneutics, Critical Theory, Philosophy of the Social Sciences, Philosophy of Language, Philosophy of Culture, Social and Political Theory, Recent European Philosophy, Phenomenology, Aesthetics, Philosophy of Music, Cultural Studies
- M.A. in Philosophy, 1986, Goethe Universität, Frankfurt/Main. Advisor: J. Habermas
- Dr. Phil. 1991, Goethe Universität, Frankfurt/Main, Advisor: J. Habermas
- Graduate Training at the Goethe Universität, including courses in social and political philosophy, philosophy of language, modern philosophy, philosophy of art & music, history of philosophy.
- 1986-1987 Research Fellow of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft: History and Discourse of the Sciences of Education, Goethe Universität, Frankfurt/Main.
- 1987-1991 Dissertation Fellow of the Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes (National Fellowship Foundation).
- 1989-1990 International Research Fellow, National Fellowship Foundation, as Visiting Scholar at Northwestern University, The New School for Social Research, and at the University of California, Berkeley.
- 1991 Assistant Professor of Philosophy, Department of Philosophy, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 1994 Assistant Professor, Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 1997 Nomination for the Canada Research Chair, Department of Philosophy, Queens University, Canada
- 1997 Assistant Professor of Philosophy, Department of History and Philosophy, University of North Florida, Jacksonville
- 1997 Summer Visiting Scholar as NEH Fellow, University of Boston
- 1999 Associate Professor, Department of Philosophy, University of North Florida, Jacksonville
- 2000 Summer Visiting Scholar as NEH Fellow, University of Arizona
- 2000-2001 Faculty Fellow, Office for Faculty Enhancement, UNF
- 2003 Visiting Faculty, Czech Academy of Social Sciences/Charles University, Prague.
- 2004, 2006, 2010, annual Guest-Professor at the Alpen-Adria University of Klagenfurt, Austria.
- 2005 – 2007, Graduate Studies Coordinator, “M.A. in Practical Philosophy & Applied Ethics,” Department of Philosophy, University of North Florida
- 2007 - 2015, Department Chair, Department of Philosophy and Program in Religious Studies, University of North Florida
- 2007: Received Offer for Full Professor of Philosophy, Alpen Adria Universität, Klagenfurt, Austria (declined)
- 2008 – present: Full Professor, Department of Philosophy, University of North Florida, Jacksonville
- 2014 – present: annual Guest-Professor at the Alpen-Adria University of Klagenfurt, Austria
- Faculty Associate, Programs in Arms Control, Disarmament, and International Security, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1994
- Honorary Faculty Associate, University of Catamarca, Argentina, 1996.
- External Faculty Affiliate and Visiting Professor, M.A.Program in Social Philosophy, Karls-University Prague, Czech Republic, 2002, and Czech Academy of the Sciences (Social Science & Philosophy section).
- Outstanding Teaching Award, University of North Florida, 2002.
- Prestigious national and international invitations as keynote or featured speaker to Northwestern U. (1993), Berlin (1995), University of Erlangen Nürnberg (1998), University of London (2001, 2009), Prague (2004), Klagenfurt, Austria (2006, 2010), Ghent, Belgium (2010) Berlin (2010), Auckland, New Zealand (2011), Frankfurt (2012), Pécs, Hungary (2012), Wuxi City/Shanghai (2013), Kirchberg & Klagenfurt/Austria (2015), Prague (2016), Presov (2017), Innsbruck/Austria, Prague (2018), among others.
Grants and Contracts Awarded
- 1987-1991 Dissertation Grant, National German Fellowship Foundation (Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes, Bonn).
- 1989-1990 One-Year Study Abroad Graduate Grant, Northwestern University, The New School, Berkeley, National German Fellowship Foundation.
- 1994: Travel Grant: XIIIth World Congress of Sociology, Bielefeld, University of Illinois.
- 1995: Travel Grant: 2nd Theory, Culture, and Society Conference, Berlin, University of Illinois.
- 1995: Early Sabbatical Grant, Board of Trustees, University of Illinois
- Research Support Grant, International Studies Program, University of Illinois
- 1996 Research Fellow at the Center for Cultural Values and Ethics, University of Illinois
- 1997 NEH Summer Research Grant for Faculty (Summer Seminar), University of Boston
- 1998 Summer Research Grant, University of North Florida
- 1999 Grant for Teaching Development, University of North Florida
- 2000 Summer Research Grant, University of North Florida;
- 2000: Faculty Fellow, Office of Faculty Enhancement, UNF, Grant to develop Faculty Seminar ‘Humanities & Social Sciences;’
- 2000: University Scholars Grant, UNF, for sponsored student research;
- 2000: NEH Summer Research Grant for Faculty (Summer Seminar), University of Arizona.
- 2004: Summer Teaching Grant (Course Development for M.A. program).
- (no grant applications due to department chairperson 2007 – 2015)
- Travel Grant, Conference Organizer, “The Enigma of Agency,” Alpen-Adria University, Klagenfurt, Austria, Mai 2016.
- COAS UNF Conference Grant, “Hermeneutics, Dialogue, and Critique,” International Conference February 2020.
Publications & Presentations
- Die Macht des Dialogs: Kritische Hermeneutik nach Gadamer, Foucault, und Rorty, Stuttgart: Metzler Verlag 1992 (reissued 2014)
- Michel Foucault, (expanded and updated edition; Stuttgart/Weimar: Metzler Verlag 2004; first edition 1994)
- The Power of Dialogue: Critical Hermeneutics after Gadamer and Foucault, transl. by Paul Hendrickson, (Cambridge, Mass.: The MIT Press 1996/paperback 1999)
- Empathy and Agency: The Problem of Understanding in the Human Sciences, co-edited with Karsten Stueber, Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press 2000 (reissued 2018)
- Kultura, Kritika, Dialog (Culture, Critique, Dialogue), Prague: Publishing House Filosofia, December 2015 (first edition 2006.)
- Religion and the Public Sphere, with Jürgen Habermas, Charles Taylor, Alessandro Ferraro, Hans-Herbert Kögler, (ed. by O. Stech), Prague Academic Publishers, Fall 2017.
- Enigma Agency, Macht, Widerstand, Reflexivität, (co-edited with Alice Pechriggl, Rainer Winter (eds.), Bielefeld: Transcript Publishers, 2019
Journal Articles (selection):
- “The self-empowered subject: Habermas, Foucault, and hermeneutic reflexivity,” Philosophy & Social Criticism, vol. 22,4 (July 1996) pp. 13-44.
- “Alienation as Epistemological Source: Reflexivity and Social Background after Mannheim and Bourdieu,” target piece in a special issue New Directions in the Sociology of Knowledge, Social Epistemology vol. 11, 2, April—June 1997, pp. 141-164.
- “Reconceptualizing Reflexive Sociology: A Reply.” Special issue New Directions in the Sociology of Knowledge Social Epistemology vol. 11, no. 2, April—June 1997, pp. 223-250.
- “Recognition and Difference: The Power of Perspectives in Interpretive Dialogue,” in the special issue Dialogue as the Inscription of ‘the West’, Social Identities vol. 11,3, May 2005, C. Zene/A. Mandair (eds.), pp. 247-269.
- “Constructing a Cosmopolitan Public Sphere: Hermeneutic Capabilities and Universal Values,” European Journal of Social Theory vol. 8,3, 2005, pp. 297–320.
- “Consciousness as Symbolic Construction: A Semiotics of Thought after Cassirer,” Constructivist Foundations vol. 4,3, July 2009, pp. 159-169.
- “Recognition and the Resurgence of Intentional Agency,” in Inquiry, special issue Rational Agency as Ethical Life, Taylor & Francis, vol. 52, Summer/Fall 2010, pp. 450-469.
- “Agency and the Other: On the Intersubjective Roots of Self-Identity.” Special issue on ‘Human Agency and Development,’ New Ideas in Psychology (NIP), B. Sokol, J. Sugarman, (eds.), vol 30, April 2012, pp. 47-64.
- “A Critique of Dialogue in Philosophical Hermeneutics,” in Journal of Dialogue Studies vol. 2,1 2014, pp. 47-68.
- “Reflexivity and Globalization,” in Human Affairs vol. 27,4, Fall 2017, pp. 374-388.
- “Social Ontology and the Varieties of Interpretation: A Hermeneutic Critique of Searle,” in Philosophy of the Social Sciences vol. 48,2, Spring 2018, pp. 192-217.
Book Chapters (selection):
- “Empathy, Dialogical Self, and Reflexive Interpretation: The Symbolic Source of Simulation, in Empathy and Agency: The Problem of Understanding in the Human Sciences, H.-H. Kögler/K. Stueber, (eds.), Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press 2000, pp. 194-221.
- “Being as Dialogue, or: The Ethical Consequences of Interpretation,” in The Consequences of Hermeneutics: Fifty years after Gadamer’s Truth and method, J. Malpas/S. Zabala (eds.), Evanston: Northwestern U.P. 2010, pp. 343-367.
- “Hermeneutic Cosmopolitanism—or, Toward a Cosmopolitan Public Sphere,” in Ashgate Research Companion to Cosmopolitanism, Maria Rovisco/Magdalena Nowicka (eds.), Ashgate Publishers, UK, 2011, pp. 225-242.
- “Empathy, Dialogue, Critique: How should we understand (inter-)cultural violence? in The Agon of Interpretations.” in Towards a Critical Intercultural Hermeneutics, Ming Xie (ed.), Univ. of Toronto Press, 2014, pp. 275-301.
- “Ethics and Community,” in Routledge Companion to Hermeneutics, Jeff Malpas, Hans-Helmuth Gander (eds.), London/New York, 2015, pp. 310-323.
- “Beyond Ethnocentrism: Towards a Global Social Theory,” with L’ubomir Dunaj, Social Theory and Asian Dialogues, Ananta Giri (ed.), Springer, 2017, pp 69-106.
Encyclopedia Entries (selection):
- “Utopianism,” “life-world,” “background,” “horizon,” “interpretation,” “neo-pragmatism,” in Oxford Companion to Philosophy, T. Honderich (ed.), Oxford: Oxford U.P. 1995.
- “Understanding and Interpretation,” chapter in the Handbook of Social Science Methodology, ed. William Outhwaite/Stephen Turner, SAGE Publishing House (a book with 34 chapters), Fall 2007.
- “Verstehen,” chapter in Handbuch Interkulturelle Kommunikation und Kompetenz (Handbook Intercultural Communication and Competence), Jürgen Straub, Arne Weidemann, Doris Weidemann (eds), Stuttgart/Weimar: Metzler Verlag, September 2007.
- „Critical Hermeneutics,“ in Sage Encyclopedia of Qualitative Research Methods, Thousand Oaks, 2009
- “Dialogue,” in Encyclopedia of Political Thought, ed. Michael Gibson, Wiley-Blackwell 2014
- “Critical Theory (The Frankfurt School)” in Encyclopedia for Social & Behavioral Sciences, Elsevier Press, co-authored with Dustin Garlitz, Spring 2015.
- “Hermeneutics,” “Critical Hermeneutics,” “Hans-Georg Gadamer,” “Paul Ricoeur,” in The Cambridge Lexicon on Habermas, Amy Allen/Eduardo Mendieta (eds.), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2019.
- Review of “Niklas Luhmann: Social Systems,” in American Journal of Sociology, July 1997.
- Review Essay on Kojin Karatani’s Transcritique, Notre Dame Philosophical Review, published by the Department of Philosophy, University of Notre Dame, summer 2004.
- Review Essay on “Jürgen Habermas: Auch eine Geschichte der Philosophie,“ Berlin: Suhrkamp Verlag 2019, Theory, Culture, Society, forthcoming 2020