Textbook Adoption & Affordability
Faculty and departments are required to submit their textbook adoptions by the posted date below, so students have this information when planning their schedules. Textbook information helps students better balance their course loads based on reading requirements and plan for their financial needs, including purchasing books. Timely posting of textbook requirements has the strong support of the student body, and it is a requirement in the Florida Statutes. For a broader perspective on textbook affordability, follow this link: https://studentpirgs.org/2006/08/01/textbooks-21st-century/.
Textbook Adoption Deadlines
All textbook adoptions should be submitted to the UNF Bookstore before the upcoming semester as follows:
- Spring 2022 - due by October 15, 2021
- Summer 2022 - TBD
- Fall 2022 - TBD
ATTENTION: If you plan to forgo any textbooks for a course, you are still required to complete the textbook adoption form and indicate that “no text is required.”
Why Submit Early?
- The bookstore researches every title/ISBN requested for courses held at the University (over 2500 courses and 2300 titles). Meaning that every ISBN submitted gets researched by bookstore staff to ensure/project that they will have enough copies of the title to meet the needs of our students.
- The bookstore researches whether UNF can repurchase books from the current students enrolled (during Finals Week) to pass the savings onto future students by offering used book options.
- The bookstore contacts publishers to see if and when new editions are coming out to inform office managers/faculty that their current selection could be an old edition by the new term start date.
- The bookstore contacts office managers/faculty on usage questions (e.g., does the instructor require an access code in the package? If not, the textbook could potentially be less expensive for students.
- The bookstore searches for the best cost option for students (e.g., used books, loose-leaf options, custom options).
- Publishers require at least six weeks to print, package, and ship custom orders.
How To Submit?
If you are an Instructor: You have direct access to Follett Discover (i.e, textbook adoption tool) through myWings. The screenshots show how to navigate to the textbook adoption tool (see below).
- Login to myWings
- View Faculty Resources > Faculty Tools > Textbook Adoptions
- Enter the textbook adoption information for each course that you plan to deliver or if you plan to forgo any textbooks for a course, complete the form and indicate that “no text is required.”
Note: If you are a Concierge (submitting adoptions on behalf of a faculty member): You will log into Follett Discover through the following link, unf.follettdiscover.com
Discover OER Materials
Explore the "Discover Course Materials" option within Follett Discover for alternative Open Educational Resources (OER) material for courses. To reduce overall costs of student’s learning materials, UNF encourages faculty to adopt high-quality OER course materials in place of traditional and expensive textbooks. For more information, view UNF's OER Initiative.
Note: If you are adopting OER materials for your course, you must go into Follett Discover and click the link which reads "I have no materials to adopt for this course" and also click on the link which reads "Only OER material is being used for this course."
Please also keep in mind that UNF faculty members teaching courses with required materials costing students no more than $20/credit in total out-of-pocket expenses (includes courses that cost $0) are eligible to receive the Affordability Counts medallion for their course(s).
For more information, view UNF’s Affordability Counts Initiative.
UNF is committed to raising awareness of textbook affordability issues and engages in Textbook Affordability Initiatives that promote the use of affordable and high-quality course materials, such as:
For more information or assistance with the textbook adoption submission process, contact the Follett Discover administrator at 620-1252 (email firstname.lastname@example.org) - or - the UNF Bookstore Manager (Kiersten Geloneck) at 620-2648 (email email@example.com).