The Cloud Computing Research Group at UNF was established in Fall 2011 by Dr. Sanjay Ahuja and focuses on infrastructure and performance evaluation and benchmarking of cloud computing platforms, cloud architectures, applications of cloud computing, cloud middleware, and security threats to cloud computing infrastructures. The research group is directed by Dr. Ahuja. Faculty, students and other individuals interested in how the future of cloud computing evolves through research and education are welcome to contact Dr. Ahuja. He serves on the editorial review board of the International Journal of Cloud Applications and Computing (IJCAC). He is also a member of, and represents UNF, at the SPEC Research Group (RG), the SPEC RG Cloud Working Group, and the SPEC RG Big Data Working Group. Dr. Ahuja and Dr. Roger Eggen are the lead faculty members of this research group.
Article in the Jacksonville Business Journal
Member of the SPEC Research Group (RG), the SPEC RG Cloud Working Group, and the SPEC RG Big Data Working Group
· Dr. Ahuja is a member of, and represents UNF, at the SPEC Research Group (RG) (http://research.spec.org/home.html), the SPEC RG Cloud Working Group (http://research.spec.org/working-groups/rg-cloud-working-group.html), and the SPEC RG Big Data Working Group (http://research.spec.org/en/working-groups/big-data-working-group.html).
· The Cloud Working Group investigates cloud benchmarking and cloud performance evaluation through diverse quantitative evaluation tools, including benchmarks, metrics, and workload generators. The Cloud Working Group focuses on novel cloud properties such as elasticity, performance isolation, dependability, and other non-functional system properties, in addition to classical performance-related metrics such as response time, throughput, scalability, and efficiency.
· The Big Data Working Group focuses on specifying and classifying big data systems, developing rules and tools for big data benchmarking. These benchmarks would model end-to-end scenarios for big data, and cover different data genres, e.g. graphs, streams, unstructured data, structured records.
1. Ahuja, Sanjay, P., and Kaza, Bhagavathi, Performance Evaluation of Data Intensive Computing in the Cloud, Published in “Cloud Technology: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications”, IGI-Global Publishers, Chapter 88, pp. 1901-1914, 2015. http://www.igi-global.com/chapter/performance-evaluation-of-data-intensive-computing-in-the-cloud/119939
2. Ahuja, Sanjay, P., System Benchmarking on Public Clouds: Comparing Instance Types of Virtual Machine Clusters. Published in "Advanced Research on Cloud Computing Design and Applications", IGI-Global Publishers, February 2015.
3. Ahuja, Sanjay, P., and Kaza, Bhagavathi, Performance Evaluation of Data Intensive Computing in the Cloud, Accepted to the International Journal of Cloud Applications and Computing (IJCAC), June 2014.
6. Ahuja, Sanjay P., Mani, S., Empirical Performance Analysis of HPC Benchmarks Across Variations of Cloud Computing, International Journal of Cloud Applications and Computing (IJCAC), Volume 3, No. 1, pp. 13 – 26, 2013. http://www.igi-global.com/article/empirical-performance-analysis-hpc-benchmarks/78515
7. Ahuja, Sanjay, P., Moore, B., State of Big Data Analysis in the Cloud, Journal of Network and Communication Technologies (NCT), Volume 2, No. 1, pp. 62 – 68, June 2013. http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/nct/article/view/26587
8. Ahuja, Sanjay, P., Komathukattil, D., A Survey of the State of Cloud Security, Journal of Network and Communication Technologies (NCT), Volume 1, No. 2, December 2012. http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/nct/article/view/21403
9. Ahuja, Sanjay, P., Mani, S., and Zambrano, J., A Survey of the State of Cloud Computing in Healthcare, Journal of Network and Communication Technologies (NCT), Volume 1, No. 2, December 2012. http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/nct/article/view/19240
10. Ahuja, Sanjay, P., and Sridharan, S., Performance Evaluation of Hypervisors for Cloud Computing, International Journal of Cloud Applications and Computing (IJCAC), Volume 2, Issue 3, November2012. http://www.igi-global.com/article/performance-evaluation-hypervisors-cloud-computing/72326
11. Ahuja, Sanjay, P., and Rolli, A., Exploring the Convergence of
12. Ahuja, Sanjay, P., and Mani, S., Availability of Services in the Era of Cloud Computing, Journal of Network and Communication Technologies (NCT), Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 97-102, June 2012.http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/nct/article/view/14392
13. Ahuja, Sanjay, P., and Mani, S., The State of HPC in the Cloud, Journal of Emerging Trends in Computing and Information Sciences, Volume 3 No.2, pp. 262-265, February 2012. http://www.cisjournal.org/journalofcomputing/archive/vol3no2/vol3no2_20.pdf
14. Ahuja, Sanjay, P. and Rolli, A., Survey of the State-of-the-Art in Cloud Computing, International Journal of Cloud Computing and Applications, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp. 34-43, October 2011.http://www.igi-global.com/article/survey-state-art-cloud-computing/60407
International Conference Publications
15. Ahuja, Sanjay, P., Experimental Support for Cloud Benchmarking and Performance Evaluation: Why Now? A Position Paper, NSF Cloud Workshop, Arlington, VA, December 2014.
· Submitted a grant proposal titled Towards Benchmarking and Performance Evaluation of HPC and Big-Data Applications on IaaS Clouds to the National Science Foundation, January 2014, $438,917.
· Submitted a grant proposal titled Tacit Knowledge to Virtual Training (TK2VT) to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in collaboration with the MAF Center for Advanced Manufacturing, October 2013. $42,000.
· Ahuja, Sanjay, P. Awarded a grant by Johnson & Johnson Vision Care (Vistakon) Corporation, Benchmarking and Performance Analysis of VMWare ESXi Based Private Cloud. 2013-2014.
· Ahuja, Sanjay, P. UNF Summer Teaching Grant to Dr. Ahuja for Summer 2012 for developing a new graduate course in Cloud Computing.
· Ahuja, Sanjay, P., Eggen, Roger, Seyed-Abbassi, Behrooz, UNF Foundation Grant for research in Mobile Cloud Computing. Applied Spring 2013.
· Hadoop Based Data-Intensive Computing on the Cloud (completed December 2014)
· Empirical Performance Analysis of Mobile Cloud Computing (completed November 2013)
· Performance Evaluation of Data Intensive Computing in the Cloud (completed August 2013)
· High-Performance Computing (HPC) in the Cloud (completed December 2012)
· Performance Evaluation of Hypervisors (completed April 2012)
· Cloudlets Computing
· Web 2.0 Applications on Public Clouds
· System Level Benchmarking on Clouds
· Empirical Evaluation of Public Cloud Computing Infrastructures
· Open Source Private Cloud Computing Architectures
· Dr. Sanjay P. Ahuja
· Dr. Roger Eggen
· Dr. Behrooz Seyed-Abbassi
· Designed and developed new 6000-level graduate course: CEN 6086 Cloud Computing, offered for the first time in Spring 2013 by Dr. Ahuja.
· CEN 6086 Cloud Computing, offered in Spring 2015.
· Sruthi Vijaykumar
· Neha Soni
· Niharika Deval
· Ramya Mullaguru
· Thinh Le
· Inan Kaddour
· Thomas Furman
· Jesus Zambrano (October 2013)
· Bhagwathi Kaza (August 2013)
· Sindhu Mani (December 2012)
· Suganya Sridharan (April 2012)
· Niharika Deval. Fall 2013 – Spring 2014 and Fall 2014 – Spring 2015.
· Karthika Muthiah. Spring 2015.
· Thomas Furman. Spring 2013 – Summer 2013.
· Bryan Moore. Fall 2012 – Spring 2013.
· Sindhu Mani. Fall 2011 – Spring 2012.
· Alan Rolli. Fall 2010 – Spring 2011.
· Sindhu Mani, High Performance Computation in the Cloud, Summer 2011.
· Deepa Komathukattil, A Survey of the State of Cloud Security, Spring 2012.
· Ahuja, Sanjay, P., Let’s Head for the Clouds: A View of Cloud Computing, College of Computing, Engineering, and Construction (CCEC) Colloquium at the University of North Florida, February 2013.
· Hadoop On-Demand Training at https://www.mapr.com/services/mapr-academy/big-data-hadoop-online-training
Dr. Sanjay P. Ahuja, Ph.D
FIS Distinguished Professor in Computing and Information Sciences (2010-2014)
Senior Member, IEEE
School of Computing
College of Computing, Engineering, and Construction
University of North Florida
Jacksonville, FL 32224.
Direct phone line: (904) 620-1317
Phone: (904) 620-2985
Fax: (904) 620-2988