- Dan Richard indicated that he received nine (9) application for two (2) FFP awards. Dan Dinsmore and Stephanie Race agreed to help with review of these applications by 11/18/2016.
- The process for review will be that the committee members will provide comments/rankings, the FEC will discuss with Dan Richard and give feedback, and decision will be made regarding winners.
- Twenty (20) applications were received and approximately fifteen (15) awards will be given.
- Raphael Crowley, Janice Seabrooks-Blackmore, and Mary Lundy will help OFE with review.
- Review process to be similar to FFP review process.
- Len Roberson, Associate Vice President of Academic Technology & Innovation and Dan Richard, Director of Office of Faculty Enhancement, agreed that the OFE’s mission statement might need to be revised to reflect the committee’s direction toward being teaching/learning-focused. (Previously, the OFE was also involved in enhancing research and service, but this is difficult due to limited resources.) In January 2017, Dan Richard will provide a draft of a new mission statement that will be discussed by the committee.
- Adjunct and visiting professor eligibility for FFP and STI awards was discussed. Dan Richard indicated that these faculty were eligible for FFP/STI awards, but only with permission from their chair. However, the “eligible with chair’s permission” was not codified on the application guidelines. The committee agreed to clarify this in the guidelines.
- FEC involvement in P&T was discussed. FEC may be involved in putting together the P&T “panel” in the future.
- Dan Richard described his “vision” for teaching development as a three-staged approach:
- Basic teaching skills – objectives, assessment, approaches, coarse-setup, etc.
- High-impact practices – problem solving, community-based learning, research, etc.
- Scholarship of teaching/learning/leadership – help other faculty to become better teachers
The goal of OFE is to achieve these objectives using a positive (i.e. non-punitive-based) approach, and the goal of the new mission statement for OFE will be to reflect these objectives.