Follow up discussion on activities/responsibilities of OFEReallocation of funding to/from OFE
Suggestions based on models in the consultant’s report
Finalize at least two suggestions
Start with summer teaching grant
Take suggestions from committee:
Recommendations regarding the Office of Faculty Enhancement from the Faculty Enhancement Committee:
1) The current Summer Teaching Grant program should be revamped.
Funding for this program should be applied to augment a summer course redesign program currently offered by OFE.
• The focus of the program will be on gatekeeper (high DFW) courses (gen-ed, first 2 years).
• Faculty in these programs will be selected by their Chairs/Directors based on ISQ’s, DFW rates and other feedback mechanisms.
• Faculty will be incented with supplemental pay to redesign and deliver gatekeeper courses.
• Addresses a more pressing issue of early retention and improved student learning.
• Course redesign on the “high end” will likely be achieved by ambitious, motivated faculty anyway.
2) The Office of Faculty Enhancement should be provided a group of “Faculty Fellows.”
• Faculty from either colleges or broader academic areas to assist OFE in its mission.
• Supp-comp/Teaching release time as compensation for the activity.
• Expertise in course delivery and directed advice on teaching will provide more flexibility for OFE Director to administer programs.
3) “Revisit” the mission statement of OFE to better align with the teaching focus of the mission. (Possibly an activity of FEC for next academic year.)