Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Location: Talon Room, Ospreys Commons, Building 16, 4th Floor

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order by President Radha Pyati at 12:15 p.m. There were approximately 110 individuals in attendance and there was a quorum. The October Faculty Association meeting was rescheduled from October 6th to October 13th because an active hurricane necessitated the closing of the university between October 5th and October 10th.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – September 1, 2016 (2 minutes)
    A motion was made to approve the minutes from the Faculty Association meeting on September 1, 2016.
    The minutes were approved.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (10 minutes)

    22nd Annual Family Weekend invitation – Jeanne Middleton
    The annual Family Weekend will be this weekend, October 14 & 15. The UNF Parents Association invites faculty to come out and enjoy the Family Weekend with all UNF families, students and faculty. There will be a faculty and student basketball game, a superhero concert, and a family movie. To register, sign up by sending an email to parents@unf.edu.

     

    2017 Plan-Year Open Enrollment from October 17 through November 4.
    FA President Pyati reminded faculty that the open enrollment period for benefits will be between October 17th and November 4th.

     

    Several other announcements are included in the Agenda Packet (including):

    Teaching Award Nominations
    The deadline for the Outstanding Undergraduate, Graduate, & Adjunct Teaching Awards. The online nomination and the email nomination was already closed at 5 p.m. October 6, 2016.
      

     

    APC Workflow System Catalog Deadline was also closed on Tuesday, October 11 at 5 p.m.

    Nominations for the Nominations and Elections Committee (1/2017 – 1/2019)
      

     

    University Matriculation Calendar 2017-2018 is already posted on FA website.  

     

    Fall 2016 Senior Service Award call for nominations and deadline is December 9, 2016.  

     

    2017 Benefit Fair on Thursday, October 20, 2016 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM in the Student Union Ballroom.


    Other important information items are included in the packet.
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)

    Academic Programs Committee –Chip Klostermeyer reporting for Michael Bovenzi
    Due to Hurricane Matthew, the Academic Programs Committee (APC) meeting originally scheduled for October 6th was canceled. All APC agenda items will be forwarded to the scheduled October 27th meeting at 10:00 a.m. in the Faculty Association Conference Room (Building 16, Room 3108). Dr. Bovenzi has contacted all of the faculty who packages up for review at the October 6th meeting and the October 27th meeting to help prepare them for the meeting so that the meeting will run smoothly, despite the additional agenda items. The catalog deadline meeting was October 10th. All APC packages received this week will be considered for review depending on the workload of the committee. All packages that are not able to be reviewed this month will be forwarded to the December APC meeting.


    Academic Standards Committee - Steven Williamson
    Academic Standards will be meeting next Friday, October 21 at 12:00 noon in the OFE/FA Conference Room.
    P.S. The meeting was cancelled due to no business required in handling.


    Adjunct Affairs Committee – Elizabeth Gregg

    The Adjunct Affairs Committee (AAC) met on October 4th with Marianne Jaffee as their guest. The committee is seeking demographic information on current adjunct faculty, so that the committee can better understand the status of adjunct faculty at UNF. The next meeting will be October 18th. At the upcoming meeting, the AAC will begin reviewing Outstanding Adjunct Teaching Award submissions.


    Budget Advisory Committee - Alan Harris
    The Budget Advisory Committee last met on September 26th, where Vice President of Governmental Relations, Janet Owen, discussed her role at the university and the current legislative session. The next meeting will be October 24, where Vice President Tom Serwatka and Associate Provost Jay Coleman will be the guests.


    Campus Technology Committee - Jose Franco

    The Campus Technology Committee cancelled the meetings two times due to the hurricane impact. The comte rescheduled the meeting met on Tuesday, October 11th at 1:30 PM in the OFE/FA Conference Room. The committee discussed the Academic Technology Grants. The next meeting will be on November 7th in the OFE/FA Conference Room at 11:30 AM.


    Faculty Affairs Committee – David Fenner reporting for Gordon Rakita

    David Fenner heard from Jim Gelschelcter regarding a proposal to change the name of the Coastal Biology Program to the Coastal and Marine Biology program, which is an agenda item for today’s meeting. The committee met with Megan Schramm-Possingner, Assessment Director, regarding the establishment of an Assessment Advisory Committee and to discuss ways to increase faculty feedback on the Graduating Senior Survey. The committee voted positively on a proposal to offer an honorary Doctorate to Jack Kliensinger, a musician in New York, the proposal was forwarded to President Delaney, and the proposal received the President’s support. The next Faculty Affairs Committee meeting will be one week from today, on October 20th, 12:15 p.m. in the OFE/FA Conference Room, where the committee will address shared governance and Coggin College of Business Program Enrollment.


    Faculty Enhancement Committee - Raphael Crowley

    The Faculty Enhancement Committee met on October 12th @11:00 AM in the OFE/FA Conference Room. The committee discussed the direction of the committee given that the Summer Teaching Grants are no longer being awarded. The committee discussed and will support the Teaching Innovation Institute and the Faculty Fellows Program offered by the Office of Faculty Enhancement. The next meeting has not yet been scheduled but will be announced once scheduled.


    Nominations & Elections Committee – David Fenner reporting for Patrick Kreidl
    This Faculty Association meeting will mark the formal opening of nominations for vacancies on the Nominations & Elections Committee for a two-year term from January 2017 – January 2019. There is an information item in the agenda packet for this meeting. The positions that are open for nominations include one from the College of Arts & Sciences, one from Coggin College of Business, one from the College of Computing, Engineering & Construction, one from Brooks College of Health, and one At-Large. The goal of the committee is to have at least one nominee for each position by October 20th. Nominations will be taken from the floor during the November Faculty Association Meeting.


    Research Council - Aisha Johnson-Jones
    The last meeting of the committee was canceled because of the hurricane. The deadline for the Research Development Grants has been extended to Friday, October 28th. The original deadline was October 21st.
    Twelve-month faculty are now able to submit a grant proposal as a single author. It is no longer necessary for twelve-month faculty to apply with other nine-month faculty. The next meeting of the Research Council is November 9th @11:00 AM in the Library Special Collection.


    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Paul Eason

    The Strategic Planning Advisory Committee has been working with Tom Serwatka looking at the current draft of the strategic plan. The SPAC will host a series of fora with constituencies related to the strategic plan to provide feedback to the Provost. Currently there is an opening on the committee for a representative from Coggin College of Business. Faculty in CCB who are interested in serving on the committee should contact the Faculty Association President.


    Support Services Committee – Brian Kopp

    The committee met on Friday, September 23rd at 1:00 PM in the Library Small Conference Room, where Deb Miller provided an update on the Canvas transition. The next meeting is on Wednesday October 26th at 12:30 PM in the Library Small Conference Room, where the committee will invite the Command Staff of the University Police.


    Executive Committee – David Fenner
    The next Executive Committee meeting will be on Tuesday, October 18th at 12:15 p.m.in the OFE/FA Conference Room.

     

  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)

    President John Delaney
    Dr. Brooks Brown, for whom Brooks College of Health was named, once stated that when things go wrong, it is always management’s fault. Some of the questions forwarded to the Faculty Association recently expressed concern over shared governance, especially around appointments made in Academic Affairs recently. Consultation is necessary for the function of the university. President Delaney indicated that he has tried to be as accessible as possible. He meets with Deans monthly and has had a meetings with Department Chairs twice per semester. There were some administrative decisions where it was felt that there could have been more input from faculty. For some items, there is no formal process of approval. Some of these items are purely administrative and others have more of a broader impact. For example, when the Mandatory Freshman Housing issue came up, the President had conversations with a number of stakeholders. An announcement was made in the Faculty Association meeting. The President indicated that it did not seem that this would need a formal vote. The evidence was substantial that living on campus would support retention. Another example would be the Master Plan of the Campus. This master plan is distributed around campus in a number of open meetings for input from a variety of stakeholders. On the original plan, we set aside some land for student religious centers, given that there are little opportunities for these centers to be near campus. After going through these processes, there was a group of faculty who wanted to share their concerns. President Delaney met with this group, listened to their concerns, and came up with some options that addressed these concerns. Ultimately, no religious center has been built, largely for financial reasons. In each of those cases, the President felt that there was sufficient discussion before making those decisions, but without a formal process, it is difficult to know when sufficient input has been received. The goal is to have sufficient input. Because of timelines, some decisions need to be made quickly.

     
    Regarding the metrics, we are in this together. Faculty have a large role to play in addressing these metrics. The Board of Trustees are in agreement that we will not be changing the mission of UNF to address the metrics. We have about $75 million for the UNF budget from the state. State employees have not had a pay increase in 11 years. UNF is number 19 in the Southeast, despite the fact that we have less funding per student than many other schools in the south. The strategic plan is to be a better at who we are. 


    Regarding preparations and damage from the storm, Administration and Finance worked all weekend to make sure things were secure and ready as well as getting things up and running after the storm. The university made the decision to close classes on Monday, October 10th. This decision was in part not that the campus was not ready but many employees and students were still dealing with the effects of the storm. This may have resulted in some delays in instruction, but faculty are encouraged to make whatever accommodations for students that are reasonable to help students recover from this storm.

       
    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen
    Vice President Owen was not able to attend the meeting due to the participation for the funeral of Elizabeth Head’s husband who passed away recently. Elizabeth Head is OPS Associate Vice President for the Department of Major Gifts.  Janet provided a written update  ( see attached ). 

     
    United Faculty of Florida – John White

    John White was not able to make the meeting cause of illness.

     

     

  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)

     

    Responses to questions are posted on the Faculty Association website and included in a future agenda package. 


    Comment by FA President Radha Pyati:

    I will begin the Question and Response period with a response to a question asked at the September 2016 meeting. 


    Regarding a vote of no confidence on the President, there is no procedure for such a vote. But there is a current opportunity for input, in the form of the Board of Trustees (BOT) Presidential evaluation process occurring this October. As FA President, I am your representative to the BOT, so please let me know your input via phone (X1918), face-to-face, or email (radha.pyati@unf.edu) by Monday, October 24.

    For this meeting 26 questions were received. They have been edited and consolidated, but every one of them is included in the subject matter of the questions. I believe the number of questions indicates that faculty are deeply concerned and frustrated by issues at the University. 


    Q1. To Provost Earle Traynham

    From Pali Sen. My question on a student’s petition of a grade of a F to a W in the faculty association meeting on September 1, missed the intended mark. I know students can petition any grade, I am asking about the outcome of it. If a student uses a Waiver of University Policy form to change a final grade in a course to a W, and the faculty assigning the grade denies the request, then it can be granted by a chair or a dean or ultimately, the provost. I believe this violates the collective bargaining agreement. The process for assigning a W after a final grade has been assigned, needs a clarification so that faculty know the answer to an important issue. 

    Q2. To FA President or designee.
    What is UNF’s plan to prevent and address Zika virus, including public health/safety issues and standing water/landscaping issues? UNF is a beautiful campus with ponds and swamps, and all water need not be removed, but we need a plan. 

    Dr. Pyati’s Response from floor:
    I asked Dan Endicott of EH&S, Doreen Perez of UNF Student Health Services, and Chuck Hubbuch of Physical Facilities and have compiled their responses per below. 

    Student Health is following the Governor’s request to educate the Campus community and has insect repellent available. Doreen Perez gave a presentation to the campus community that will be posted on YouTube. More info is available on their main page: https://www.unf.edu/shs/ , and other informational items from the Florida Dept of Health will be posted on the Q&R site.

    EH&S has met with grounds staff from Physical Facilities, Housing, Athletics and COJ Mosquito Control to discuss the preventative measures they are taking and what we can do on campus. Our grounds departments are monitoring for standing water and have plans in place to treat areas should the vector mosquitoes become an issue in our area.

    Mosquito Control explained that two only mosquito species transmit Zika. These two species do not breed in running water or in bodies of water large enough to contain fish and other natural predators. So, draining swamps and ponds is not necessary. Instead, the larvae of these two mosquitoes are found in small, temporary bodies of water like untended water in bird baths, concrete storm water basins, bottle caps and other litter. Targeting the breeding places and young of these two species is more successful and less damaging to other living organisms (including us) than spraying large areas. That means that litter control provided by the Recycle crews may be our most important line of defense. Biological controls are effective and Grounds is prepared to treat storm water basins in the event that it becomes necessary.

     

    Q3. To FA President or designee.
    Last academic year, the Faculty Association and Faculty Affairs Committee rejected a proposal to create a committee of faculty to consult with the UNF Foundation concerning its investments. Even if the proposal to stop certain investments is rejected, does that also mean that the creation of a faculty consultative committee should be rejected as well?

    Q4. To Rachelle Gottlieb.
    Would you please provide to the Faculty Association a breakdown of the different benefits that different employees of UNF receive: USPS, A&P, non-tenure-line faculty, tenure-line faculty, administrators, staff, and anyone else. I have heard that there are “executive benefits.” What are those, and who receives them?

    Q5. To Provost Earle Traynham
    Is it true that cell phones of administrators are paid by the University?

    Q6. To FA President or designee.
    On 9/22 we received an email from the registrar informing us that a policy is under development regarding preferred name use. I already find it challenging to learn the names of 100+ students each semester. Is there much of a need for this new policy, or are we furthering students’ sense of entitlement?

    Q7. To FA President or designee.
    I have read with concern about other schools having problems with the Confucius Institute in terms of unethical funding and hiring practices and violations of freedom of speech and academic freedom. Some schools have ended their relationship with the Confucius institute and the American Association of University Professors has warned against partnering with them. Has the Confucius Institute been thoroughly vetted and regularly reviewed? 

    Q8. To President Delaney
    In the e-mail you sent to faculty on 9/22, you noted the large number of Presidential scholarships awarded to UNF students. While this is certainly great, I am wondering if we can get (a) an accounting of how much is being spent on these scholarships and where the money comes from and (b) why the UNF endowment seems to not have increased substantially in many years. 

    Response from the Floor by Vice President Shari Shuman
    There were three parts of the question. The first part was about the number of Presidential Scholarships. That information will need to come from Enrollment Services. The second part of the question relates to from where are the Presidential Scholarships are paid. Presidential Merit Scholarships are paid for through the regular E&G (Education and General Funds) budget. The UNF Foundation also provides many merit-based scholarships for students from the UNF Foundation budget. The third part of the question is about the Foundation and its endowment. In 2008, it was about $100 million dollars. After the economic crash in 2008, the endowment reduced to about $70 million. Currently, the endowment is up to about $90 million dollars. In 2003, the endowment was around $50 million. There have been some declines, but other than the dramatic drop in 2008, the endowment was on an increasing trend.

     

    Q9. To President Delaney
    The President recently put out a note that encourages us to brag about UNF; this is of course much easier done if those to whom we brag do not then remind us of our position vis a vis the state metrics. Can the President assure us that we will not continue to be in the bottom of the rankings next year or in subsequent years? 

    Q10. To President Delaney and Provost Traynham
    What is the 10-step plan to lead UNF to a university ranked in the middle among the other universities? 

    Response from the Floor by Vice President Tom Serwatka
    The answer to this question depends on what is meant by the middle of the metrics. If one looks at each of the 10 metrics and UNF’s score on each of the metrics, UNF scores either above the middle or at the middle of each metric. What UNF has not done is received growth scores according to the metrics. For example, when looking at graduation rates and employment rates, we are at or above the center score. The place where we are below center is cost per degree. There is no need for UNF to be ashamed of our performance on the metrics. Please see the attached addendum submitted by Dr. Serwatka regarding the metric scores.

     

    Q11. To President Delaney
    The President recently put out an email that cites the quality of the new freshmen. Could he please now share the same sort of data about the transfer students that UNF admitted this fall?

    Q12. To Albert Colom, AVP Enrollment Services
    President Delaney recently sent out a notice about the admission profile of our freshman student class. Would you kindly provide the Faculty Association with the admission profile of students admitted for Spring 2017 as well as for Summer 2016?
     

    Q13. To Albert Colom
    Have you examined the results and implications of the math and writing placement testing that was done this past summer? If so, have any patters emerged in who has scored what in relation to their overall admission profile? 

    Response from the Floor by Albert Colom
    The data associated with the math and writing placement testing has not yet been analyzed, but it is in the process of being analyzed. The admissions office will provide this analysis once it is complete.

     

    Q14. To Ricky Arjune, Budget Director
    Would you please report to the Faculty Association the salary increase Professor Dan Moon received when he was appointed Dean of Undergraduate Studies and the salary increase he received when he was appointed Interim Dena of the College of Arts and Sciences?

    Q15. To FA President or designee.
    If it is true that the interim dean of the College of Arts and Science received raises over his last two promotions equal to or greater than $80,000, how can the administration possibly defend paying a great number of UNF staff members less than $25,000 a year? And how can it defend paying adjuncts $2250 per course? How is this just?

    Q16. To President Delaney.
    What is your position on the two raises, just 10 months apart, that the president and provost authorized for the current interim dean of COAS, in relation to the faculty (about 17 in number) who felt short changed on the recent raise?

    Q17. To John White, President, UNF-UFF.
    As you know, a number of faculty (I have heard 17) felt shortchanged last year when they did not receive the full raise amount they thought they should have gotten. I have heard that the annual cost of remedying this would have been approximately $75,000. Is this correct?

    Q18. To John White, President UNF-UFF.
    On October 3rd, you emailed all faculty claiming that "Among the 11 established State University System schools in Florida, UNF ranks last in average faculty salary." Shouldn't UNF's faculty take this as a sign that our union has done a poor job negotiating salary increases?

    Q19. To FA President or designee.
    Has there been any study done at the university to support what is being discussed among some faculty members about male patriarchy and faculty salaries? I would like to know if there is any truth to the rumor that female faculty members make less than their male counterparts.

    Q20. To FA President or designee.
    Could the Faculty Association request the salaries of every administrator as well as the history of raises for all of these individuals during the time in which John Delaney has been president? Could the Faculty Association then report on the trends and especially the comparison with faculty raises over this same period?

    Q21. To FA President or designee.
    Is this Provost Traynham's last year with UNF? If so, should we not be starting the search process for his successor now? 

    Q22. To FA President.
    At last month’s FA meeting, a question was asked about President Delaney’s retirement. As the FA President and therefore a BOT member, are you aware of any preparation the BOT might be making in terms of a presidential transition, and if so, has it hired a search firm yet? Will the BOT communicate any information to the faculty? Should the FA, led by its president, not urgently take up the issue of a presidential transition? How can FA take a proactive approach to a Presidential transition? 

    Response from the Floor by FA President Radha Pyati
    The Board of Trustees (BOT) have not made any preparations for a Presidential transition as of its September 2016 meeting, nor has it hired a search firm to assist in this process. The FA let by its President will take a role in any Presidential transition. This question could be rephrased is “how can the FA take a proactive approach to a Presidential transition.” The FA officers and committees will be addressing how the FA can take a proactive approach to any Presidential transition.

    Q23. To FA President and John White.
    Considering the graduate admissions problems in the Coggin College of Business, please provide the procedures for a “no confidence” vote for a college dean. 

    Response from the Floor by FA President Radha Pyati
    The UNF Constitution, Article V Section 4, states that faculty within a college can conduct an anonymous retention vote of any Dean prior to the end of their term. The FA officers are glad to assist Coggin with such a vote. A group of Coggin representatives are invited to meet with FA officers to discuss this issue.

     

    Q24. To President Delaney.
    The graduate admissions situation in the Coggin College of Business is very serious and dangerous – it could jeopardize the college’ accreditation and its reputation for quality. It has been said that you have known about it for at least a month what leadership have you shown in addressing this crisis? 



    Q25. To Provost Traynham.
    What is the real intention behind Jay Coleman’s transfer to data analytics? 

    Response from the Floor by Vice Provost Jay Coleman
    The intention for the transfer to the new position was to help the university deal with the requirements for State-wide metrics. 

     

     

  • CONSENT AGENDA
    There were no Consent Agenda items for the month of October.
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list; 20 minutes to act immediately on or remove item)

    Agenda Item# 1 - FA 16-35: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
       CCB (Undergraduate) – (Economics & Geography & Marketing & Logistics): New Courses (5 packages)
    Klostermeyer moved the item on behalf of the Academic Programs Committee.
    Motion passed.


    Agenda Item# 2 - FA 16-36: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee

       CCEC (Graduate) – (School of Computing): New Course (1 package)
    Klostermeyer moved the item on behalf of the Academic Programs Committee.
    Motion passed.


    Agenda Item# 3 - FA 16-37: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
       BCH (Undergraduate) – (School of Nursing): New Courses, Course Changes, Course Termination, & Programs of Study Changes (4 packages)
    Klostermeyer moved the item on behalf of the Academic Programs Committee.
    Motion passed.


    Agenda Item# 4 -FA 16-38: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
       BCH (Graduate) – (Public Health & School of Nursing): New Course, Course Changes, & Programs of Study Changes (4 packages)
    Klostermeyer moved the item on behalf of the Academic Programs Committee.
    Motion passed.


    Agenda Item# 5 -FA 16-39: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
       BCH (Doctoral) – (School of Nursing): Programs of Study (1 package)
    Klostermeyer moved the item on behalf of the Academic Programs Committee.
    Motion passed.


    Agenda Item# 6 -FA 16-40: Submitted by the Faculty Affairs Committee
       REQUEST: To change the name from “Coastal Biology Flagship Program to “Coastal and Marine Biology Flagship Program.”
    David Fenner moved the item on behalf of the Faculty Affairs Committee.
    Motion passed.

  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    Nominations and Elections Committee Nominations
  • ADJOURNMENT
    The meeting adjourned at 1:15 p.m.