Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, March 2, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Location: Talon Room, Ospreys Commons, Building 16, 4th Floor

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order by President Radha Pyati at 12:15 p.m. There were approximately 95 individuals in attendance (approximately 60 faculty attendees), and there was a quorum.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – February 2, 2017 (2 minutes)
    A motion was made to approve the minutes from the Faculty Association meeting on February 2, 2017.
    The minutes were approved.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (10 minutes)
    The final nominations for vacancies in the Faculty Association Standing Committees and the University Committees will be taken during the meeting today. The meeting today will be the last time nominations for these vacancies will be taken.

    The State of Florida has been paying attention to the stated learning objectives for new courses. The Academic Programs Committee has provided the information item, Helpful Resources for Writing Student Learning Objectives.

    In the process of seeking an Interim Provost, there are two round-one finalists for that position: Dean Pam Chally, Brooks College of Health, and Associate Provost Jay Coleman, Academic Affairs. There will be an opportunity for faculty to meet with these candidates in an open forum. The open fora for these candidates are Tuesday, March 7th, for Dean Chally and Thursday, March 9th, for Associate Provost Jay Coleman.
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)

    Academic Programs Committee – Michael Bovenzi
    The last meeting of the Academic Programs Committee (APC) was March 2nd. The next APC meeting will be April 6th. There are several APC agenda items for today’s meeting. These can be found in the legislative agenda for this meeting.

    Academic Standards Committee – Steven Williamson
    Alan Harris reported for the committee. The Academic Standards last met on Friday, Feb 17th. The committee discussed practical issues with students who are on the waitlists for enrollment in courses. There was a recommendation to run a final enrollment for anyone on a waitlist for a course after Chairs have made any final adjustments. There was a question regarding an Equal Opportunity and Diversity (EOD) office ruling regarding a make-up exam. The Academic Standards Committee will invite EOD Director to the next meeting of the committee. The next meeting of the committee will be on March 10th in the Academic Affairs Conference Room.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee – Elizabeth Gregg

    The Adjunct Affairs Committee last met March 1st. At that meeting, the committee selected winners for the Outstanding Adjunct Teaching Award. The next meeting of the committee will be April 5th.

    Budget Advisory Committee - Alan Harris
    The Budget Advisory Committee met with Anne Hoover Feb 15th. The purpose of that meeting was to understand the budget timeline. The committee decided to invite Associate Provost Jay Coleman to discuss the next step in the budget process.

    Campus Technology Committee - Jose Franco
    The last meeting scheduled for the Campus Technology Committee was Feb 10th, but the committee did not meet quorum requirements. The committee is scheduled to meet on March 3rd, when they will discuss Academic Technology Grants.

    Faculty Affairs Committee – Gordon Rakita
    Chip Klostermeyer reported for the committee. The committee last met on February 9th. The committee’s next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, March 9th, at 12:15pm in the OFE/FA Conference Room.
    At our February 9th meeting, we:

    • Discussed and accepted the edits proposed by President Delaney to the Unity Statement. This item is on today’s agenda as item FA 17-18 (page 28 of the printed packet). The committee urges faculty to vote in favor of this resolution. 
    • We discussed and approved a minor adjustment to the Outstanding Faculty Community Engaged Scholarship award language. These changes will make it to the full FA at a later meeting.
    • Discussed the advisability of having a policy on make-up exams. The committee forward this issue to the executive committee as an item of interest to multiple FA committees.
    • Discussed the questions on the Campus Climate Survey to be distributed later this term.
    • Received an update from the Faculty Association Vice President, David Fenner, on the drafting of the Research Statement.
    • Considered and unanimously approved a proposal to split the Department of Public Health into two departments titled the Department of Public Health and the Department of Health Administration. This is item FA 17-19 from the Executive Committee on today’s agenda (p. 29 electronically, not in the printed packets put individually printed and distributed at the meeting). 
    • Discussed a proposed expansion of the Sawmill Slough preserve.
    • Had a further discussion of the Sanctuary Campus issue.

    At our March 9th meeting we will:

    • Hear from James Taylor (Environmental Center) and John Hale (Administration & Finance division) about the potential for expanding the Sawmill Slough preserve,
    • Hear from representatives of Student Government regarding their Joint Resolution JR-17S-3099 that calls for the creation of a course syllabi bank for students to use during course enrollment,
    • Follow-up on on-going items including the Research Statement, the Campus Climate Survey, and the Sanctuary Campus issue.

    We have four items on today’s agenda. These include:

    1. Items FA 17-15, FA 17-16, and FA 17-17 (pages 12-27) which make changes to the three teaching awards to allow applicants to include summer courses in their application packets.
    2. The Unity Statement (FA 17-18; page. 28). 


    Faculty Enhancement Committee - Raphael Crowley
    The Faculty Enhancement Committee met Feb 8th. During the meeting, the committee discussed the idea of a one-stop office for faculty enhancement. The committee will continue to discuss this idea at the next committee meeting, scheduled for March 15th.

     


    Nominations & Elections Committee – Dana Hart
    Radha Pyati was handling the nomination for the committee. FA President Pyati reviewed each of the Standing Committees and University Committees. The following nominations were submitted from the floor.

    Standing Committees
    Sherif Elfayoumy was nominated for the Campus Technology Committee.
    Jose Franco was nominated for the Research Council; At-Large position.

    University Committees

    Scott Hochwald was nominated for the Calendar Committee.

    This concludes the nominations for the FA Standing Committees and FA representation on the University Committees.

    Research Council – Judy Ochrietor
    The Research Council last met on Feb 15th. At that meeting the council met with David Fenner and discussed the results of the Faculty Research Survey and the draft scholarship statement. The next meeting will be on March 15th to discuss the draft statement.

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Paul Eason
    The most recent draft of the Strategic Plan is about to be released. The small writing group met on Friday, February 24th. The current draft that will be released for review will include a Mission Statement, Strategies, and Action Statements. There will be opportunities to provide feedback. The Committee will meet to plan a forum to receive feedback from faculty regarding Goal 3. All members of the UNF community will be invited to provide feedback on this new draft of the Strategic Plan through an online survey.

    Support Services Committee – Brian Kopp
    The Support Services Committee last met on Feb 15th with Matthew Davidson, Director of the UNF Bookstore. Follett has signed a new 10-year contract. The bookstore will be remodeling. Also, a new online feature, Follett Discover, will allow faculty to engage in textbook adoptions through Canvas. The committee discussed options for reducing costs of textbooks for students.

    Executive Committee – David Fenner
    In light of President Delaney’s recent announcement of his retirement, on behalf of the Faculty Association Executive Committee and the Faculty Affairs Committee, we would like to express our appreciation for President Delaney and for his openness in regularly meeting with these Faculty Association committees. The Executive Committee has one item on the agenda for today’s meeting.

  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)
    President John Delaney
    I appreciate the comments made by the Executive Committee Chair, David Fenner. I look forward to continuing the good work we have been doing over the remaining 15months before my retirement. I believe the university community will be able to find a good president for UNF in about one year. Much like our young children change over time, universities will continue to change. We have many changes happening at UNF. We have Dean searches ongoing for three colleges, for Brooks College of Health, Hicks Honors College, and the College of Arts & Sciences. We have excellent finalists in those searches. Those positions should be filled by the summer. The Presidential search is prescribed by the Board of Governors. Ms. Joy Korman, Chair of the Board of Trustees, is working on the search process. There will be a 15 member search committee with faculty representation as well as community, Board of Governors, Board of Trustees, and alumni representation. Three names are required to be forwarded to the Board of Trustees for review. The final selection for University President will require Board of Governors approval. There are elections in the Fall of 2018, which could bring changes to Higher Education. Janet Owen will provide an update on the Florida Legislature.

    I also want to thank FA President, Radha Pyati, for helping to organize the Interim Provost search.

    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen
    The Florida Legislature’s 2017 regular 60-day session starts on Tuesday, March 7th!
    I probably won’t be able to be with you in person for these meetings until after Friday, May 5th when the session ends, unless there are some early walkouts, which some veteran political strategists are predicting.
    The other rumor is that this year’s budget will be very lean, almost like a federal Continuing Resolution, with lawmakers finishing on time. They would then return for the 2018 session and spend lots of money on projects in advance of the November 2018 election cycle.

    One thing we can be certain about is that the budget negotiations won’t get underway until certain agreements between the House and Senate chambers can be reached on issues of funding for Lake Okeechobee, Enterprise Florida and Gaming. You will receive weekly Tallahassee Updates covering the budget negotiations and bills of relevance to higher education.

    As I’ve mentioned before, the Senate President wants to allocate significant new revenue to the state universities to elevate FL’s rankings and reputation as a destination for high quality higher ed.
    In the meantime, he has made the state colleges quite nervous about his lack of support for their growing
    4-year degree programs, and for proposing changes to their performance funding model which puts 2-year and 4-year graduation rate pressure on them. The most significant bill in SB 2 – which contains all of the Sen. President’s state university priorities and will likely get voted out on the Senate floor in the first week of session – after which the House may put it in a dark closet and let it sit until they decide what to trade for it.

    Unfortunately for the state universities, the first week of session will bring scrutiny by the House of Representatives on the fiscal practices of university foundations and direct support organizations. This will be followed by fairly severe budget cut exercises that will be bleak. But there are 60-days of this, and we will likely end up in a better place than we find ourselves in the first few weeks of the session.

    Senate Confirmation Process for UNF Trustees

    For UNF, the week will begin on Monday when 5 of the 6 new trustees will be up for approval by the Senate Education Committee as a part of the Senate Confirmation Process. This will include Trustees: Wamble-King, Joost, Hyde, Gonzalez and McElroy. They will go next to the Senate Committee on Ethics and Elections and then to the floor for confirmation.

    United Faculty of Florida – John White
    Dan Dinsmore reported for the union. The Union would like to respond to some questions submitted to the Faculty Association in regard to faculty salary and gender. The UFF-UNF President has posted a response on the website with some data. There has been a request regarding administrator salaries. John White will be posting data regarding that question on the UFF website. Also, there was a question regarding external counsel, and the UFF will place information regarding that question on the UFF website as well.

    As a reminder, faculty in each department are to create guidelines for promotion and tenure. Dan Dinsmore (daniel.dinsmore@unf.edu) is available to help with feedback and/or timing questions.

    Campus Safety Advisory Report – John Hale
    Council members conducted a night safety walk last December of the northern quadrant of campus to inspect lighting levels, obstructions, over grown landscaping or other elements that could contribute to poor visibility or cause trip hazards. All parking lot and roadway lights have now been converted to LED type.
    Council voted at the February meeting to place “special enforcement” no skateboarding signs for the area between the Robinson Theater (14A) and Housing Office (14B).
    Much discussion about the no-smoking policy and what can be done to curb continued smoking on campus. Council was informed an enforceable policy would require a change to state statutes.
    EH&S reports 79 accident incidents in 2016, compared to 51 in 2015. No real trends.
    Safety Rangers are available to escort community members from the main campus to remote parking lots between 6:00pm and 10:00pm each week night. A Safety Ranger is also available to conduct escorts from the library until 2:00am, and at the Fountains residence facility from 10pm to 2am.
    Campus Safety Statistics: 279 emergency phones, 43 public courtesy phones, 69 elevator phones located throughout campus (same as prior report). There are also 224 surveillance cameras operational throughout the campus (four more since last report).
  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)

    Responses to questions are posted on the Faculty Association website and included in a future agenda package. 


    Q1. Anonymous Question to Vice President Mauricio Gonzalez:
    Can the daily crime log, which is required to be posted, be posted online rather than in the UPD Lobby?

    Q2. Anonymous Question to FA President Pyati or Designee:
    Many faculty librarians have resigned and left the university. How has the university acknowledging this problem?

    Response from Floor from FA President Pyati: The Provost will hold a confidence vote for the Library Dean this Spring.

     

    Q3. Anonymous Question for John White, UFF-UNF President:
    In a recent "Did you know" item you said: "Not having any discipline-specific guidelines leaves promotion and tenure decisions entirely at the discretion of administration, without feedback from departmental faculty."
    This statement seems misleading given the composition of department P&T committees, which are made up of departmental faculty, and the role their vote plays in the outcome of P&T cases. As well, department faculty are able to write department letters of recommendation. And the University P&T committee is made up of faculty as well, although not departmental faculty. How do you claim that P&T decisions do not have feedback from departmental faculty, and that discipline-specific guidelines are the antidote?
    Response will be in writing from John White.


    Q4. Question from the Floor from Pali Sen to Shari Shuman & John Hale:
    One evening, I was about to make a left turn in a parking lot on the UNF campus, and two students crossed my car on rollerboards – they came out of nowhere. I had to slam on my brakes. Some students seem to use the parking lots as playgrounds. Can we get some border collies to chase these rollerboards away from the parking lots (not the students), before someone gets hurt?

  • CONSENT AGENDA
    There were no Consent Agenda items for the month of March.
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list; 20 minutes to act immediately on or remove item)

    Agenda Item# 1 -FA 16-42R: Submitted by the Executive Committee
    Faculty Association Bylaws Amendment– 2nd Reading
    Addition of New Article Proposal - No Confidence Process

    This is the second reading of this proposal and there were no other discussion.
    The motion passed by majority vote.


    Agenda Item# 2 -FA 17-09: Submitted by the Faculty Association President

    2017-18 Faculty Association Budget Proposal
    This is the proposed budget of the Faculty Association for the coming year. The budget is the same as last year. 

    The item passed by majority vote. 


    Agenda Item# 3 -FA 17-10: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee

    COAS (Undergraduate) – (Communication, Mathematics & Statistics, Political Science & Public Administration, Psychology, & School of Music): New Courses, Course Changes, & Program of Study (9 packages)
    The Department of Communication proposes changing the course “Lying & Deception” from a 3000-level to a 4000-level course. The Department of Mathematics & Statistics is proposing changes to the Mathematical Science Minor, new courses in the Mathematics Major, and adding these new courses to the electives for the Mathematics Major. The Department of the Political Science and Public Administration proposes changes to the Public Administration Minor to make the minor a fast-track minor. The Department of Psychology is removing minor requirements from the Bachelor of Science program and Child Psychology Concentration. The School of Music proposes a new certificate program in Choral Conducting and a new elective course called “Feeder Techniques for Singers.”
    The item was approved by majority vote.


    Agenda Item# 4 -FA 17-11: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COAS (Graduate) – (Psychology): Course Change & Program of Study (1 package)
    The Psychology Department proposes changes in the Psychological Science Master’s Degree, including changes to credit hours, changing courses, and modifying elective options.
    The item was approved by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 5 -FA 17-12: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    CCB (Undergraduate) – (Management): New Courses, New Minors, & Program of Study (2 packages)
    The Department of Management is proposing a new minor in Operations Management for Non-Management Majors, with a new course. The Department of Management also proposes to remove MAN4583 from the list as required and replacing it with an elective. The Department of Management also proposes a new minor in Human Resources Management, with new courses added.
    The item was approved by majority vote.


    Agenda Item# 6 -FA 17-13: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee

    CCEC (Undergraduate) – (School of Engineering/Civil Engineering): New Courses, Course Changes, & Programs of Study (2 packages)
    The Engineering Department proposes modifying the Civil Engineering Major to the course Introduction to Engineering II course to make the major more accessible to different programs. The Engineering Department also proposes two new technical elective courses.
    The item was approved by majority vote.


    Agenda Item# 7 -FA 17-14: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    BCH (Graduate) – (Nutrition & Dietetics): Program of Study (1 package)
    The Department of Nutrition & Dietetics proposes changes to the Masters of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics Major, adding two options to the existing options for that program, Interprofessional Certificate in Healthcare Informatics and a Certificate in Global Health.
    The item was approved by majority vote.


    Agenda Item# 8 -FA 17-15: Submitted by the Faculty Affairs Committee
    Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award Revision
    This item is to change the language of the Undergraduate Teaching Award, which will include summer courses for consideration for the summer teaching award, as summer courses are part of the regular teaching load for some faculty candidates.
    The item was approved by majority vote.


    Agenda Item# 9 -FA 17-16: Submitted by the Faculty Affairs Committee

    Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award Revision
    This item is to change the language of the Graduate Teaching Award, which will include summer courses for consideration for the summer teaching award, as summer courses are part of the regular teaching load for some faculty candidates.
    The item was approved by majority vote.


    Agenda Item# 10 -FA 17-17: Submitted by the Faculty Affairs Committee
    Outstanding Adjunct Teaching Award Revision
    This item makes minor changes to the Adjunct Teaching Award for clarity.
    The item was approved by majority vote.


    Agenda Item# 11 -FA 17-18: Submitted by the Faculty Affairs Committee
    Resolution – Statement of Unity
    This is the Statement of Unity that originated from the Department of Philosophy faculty. The Faculty Affairs committee modified the original statement and sent the statement to President Delaney for review. President Delaney had additional suggestions. The statement expresses our shared values of unity and respect for all persons.
    A friendly amendment was proposed by Dan Richard. Given that individuals are believed to have agency over their emotions, should the first sentence of 3rd paragraph read, “We pledge to stand with and for those who are the most vulnerable members of our community and to take actions that help our students and fellow employees feel safe and know that they are safe.” The amendment was accepted by Chip Klostermeyer on behalf of the committee.
    The item was approved by majority vote.
    (There was a question as to how this Statement of Unity would be disseminated. FA President Pyati indicated that the statement would be included as an agenda item on the Faculty Association Legislative Calendar and that she would follow-up with the Faculty Affairs Committee to determine other avenues of dissemination.


    Agenda Item # 12 -FA 17-19: Submitted by the Executive Committee:

    Department of Public Health Restructuring Proposal
    The proposal is to split the Department of Public Health into two departments, the Department of Public Health and the Department of Health Administration. The Department of Public Health (DPH) has been growing steadily. The DPH had twenty-five full-time and part-time faculty in the Fall 2016. No additional resources are needed apart from what the College already possesses.
    The item was approved by majority vote.

  • INFORMATION ITEMS

     

                   I.
                   II. 
    Faculty Association Standing and University Committee Nominations
    Helpful Resources for Writing Measureable Learning Outcomes
  • ADJOURNMENT
    The meeting adjourned at 1:10 p.m.