Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Location: Talon Room, Ospreys Commons, Building 16, 4th Floor

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order by President Radha Pyati at 12:15 p.m. There were approximately 112 individuals in attendance, and there was a quorum.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – December 1, 2016 (2 minutes)
    A motion was made to approve the minutes from the Faculty Association meeting on December 1, 2016.
    The minutes were approved.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (10 minutes)
    The Faculty Awards Nominations are now open until Tuesday, January 17, 2017 by 5:00 p.m. Please nominate worthy faculty.
    Other important information items are included in the packet.
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)
    Academic Programs Committee –Michael Bovenzi
    The Academic Programs Committee (APC) last met in December. The next schedule meeting is on Thursday, February 2nd. The APC has several agenda items for vote in today’s meeting.

    Academic Standards Committee – Scott Hochwald for Steven Williamson

    The next meeting of the Academic Standards Committee will be on Friday, January 20th at 12:00 noon.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee –Elizabeth Gregg
    The Adjunct Affairs Committee last met on Wednesday, January 11th, and discussed the applications for the Outstanding Adjunct Teaching Award. The next meeting will be on Wednesday, February 8th at noon in the Faculty Association Conference Room.

    Budget Advisory Committee - Alan Harris
    The Budget Advisory Committee did not met in December. The next scheduled meeting is for Wednesday, January 18th, at 9:00 a.m. in Building 50, Room 3300.

    Campus Technology Committee - Jose Franco

    The Campus Technology Committee did not meet in December. The next scheduled meeting will be held on Friday, January 13th, at 10:30 a.m. in the Faculty Association Conference Room.

    Faculty Affairs Committee – Gordon Rakita

    The Faculty Affairs Committee last met on Dec 8th and discussed a proposal by the Student Government to create a syllabus bank. There was a presentation by Dr. Mitch Haney, Chair of the Philosophy & Religious Studies Department, on their Unity Statement. The faculty of the Philosophy & Religious Studies Department forwarded their statement to the Faculty Affairs Committee for consideration of all faculty potentially signing the statement. The Unity Statement expresses support for and solidarity with all individuals regardless of nationality, race, gender, sexual orientation, disability status. The committee also discussed a version of the Pomona Letter regarding childhood arrivals (individuals arriving to the United States as children). The committee approached President Delaney regarding his willingness to sign such a letter. President Delaney currently is reviewing the letter. The committee also discussed the preliminary results from the Research Survey and will be discussing recommendations based on the faculty responses to the survey. The committee considered a question regarding the Faculty Association meeting quorum. The next meeting of the committee will be Thursday, January 19th, when the committee will discuss faculty award language, the proposal for a Responsible Investment Committee, responses to the research survey, and the review of the Campus Climate Survey for distribution in Spring 2017.

    Faculty Enhancement Committee - Raphael Crowley

    The Faculty Enhancement Committee met on Wednesday, January 11th. The next meeting will be in February, with a specific time and date to be arranged. The committee discussed the results of the Summer Teaching Innovation Institute and Faculty Fellows Program. The committee also discussed a revised mission statement for the Office of Faculty Enhancement, focusing more on the teaching and learning mission. The committee will be discussing faculty development at UNF more broadly in the coming meetings, including the idea of a one-stop faculty support center.

    Nominations & Elections Committee – Dana Hart
    The Nominations & Elections Committee last met on Tuesday, January 10th. The committee discussed the current list of vacancies for Standing Faculty Association Committees and University Committees. These vacancies are listed on the Faculty Association Main webpage. Future work for the committee this semester will be handled through electronic communication; therefore, the committee has not yet scheduled additional meetings.

    Research Council – Radha Pyati reporting for Aisha Johnson-Jones
    There is no report this month from the Research Council. In December, the committee announced the Faculty Scholarship grants. Dr. Aisha Johnson-Jones is no longer working at UNF and serving as Chair of the council.
    Dr. Judith Ochrietor will serve as the new Chair of the Research Council. The council will meet next week.

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Paul Eason
    The Strategic Planning Advisory Committee has not met since the last Faculty Association meeting. The strategic planning process has continued. The Strategic Planning Council presented a draft of the strategic plan to the Board of Trustees. The feedback from faculty and staff thus far has been thematically consistent. The survey to provide feedback on the draft strategic plan is active. Faculty are encouraged provide their responses to the survey. The next step in the process will be for the Strategic Planning Council to host faculty for a, which will be announced soon.

    Support Services Committee – Brian Kopp
    The next meeting of the Support Services Committee is Wednesday, January 18th, at 10:00 AM, when the committee will meet with Dr. Mike Binder of the Public Opinion Research Center. Dr. Binder will provide information regarding the services provided to faculty through the center.

    Executive Committee – David Fenner

    The Executive Committee has an item on the legislative calendar to be considered during the current meeting. The Faculty Association Standing Committee meeting places and times are posted, and faculty are encouraged to submit questions and concerns to the FA President. Those concerns can be forwarded to the appropriate committees for discussion. The Executive Committee has been reviewing Academic Programs Committee (APC) agenda items with particular attention to resources. The committee felt that in our current of limited resources, the committee is responsible to review proposals for academic programs carefully with an emphasis on resource allocation for the successful implementation of those programs. The committee asks that those submitting substantive program changes or new programs would provide in the APC agenda items submitted information about resources to support proposed changes.
  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)

    President John Delaney
    President Delaney is out of town at a meeting and will not be providing a report today.

    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen
    Janet Owen was not able to be here today because of a meeting in Tallahassee, FL and Dr. Pyati provided
    and read her report as following:

    From Janet Owen, Vice President of Governmental Affairs:

    Senator Bill Galvano has filed 2 bills this week which package the higher education priorities of the new Senate President, Joe Negron. The 2 bills are Senate Bills 2 & 4.
    There are no similar House bills yet, so we don’t yet know if there is any buy-in on these issues in the other chamber.

    Here is a brief summary of the major provisions in each Senate bill: 


    SENATE BILL 2 – THE FLORIDA EXCELLENCE IN HIGHER EDUCATION ACT


    Student Financial Assistance and Support

    • Reinstates highest Bright Futures Scholarship Program Award (Florida Academic Scholar) to cover 100 percent of tuition and certain tuition-indexed fees, including the summer term, plus $300 for textbooks and college-related expenses during the fall and spring terms.
    • Revises the 1st Generation Matching Grant Program to provide two to one (state to local match versus one to one), as funded by the Legislature.

     

    Tuition and Fee Incentives 

     


    The Legislature has authorized state universities to implement flexible tuition policies to assist students in accessing higher education in our state. To date, no state university has implemented a block tuition policy.

    • Requires universities to implement a block tuition policy which must specify an in-state block tuition rate and an out-of-state block tuition rate for full-time undergraduate students. The block tuition policy must be publicly-approved by the university board of trustees and the Board of Governors in time for implementation by no later than the Fall 2018 semester.

     

    2+2 Articulation
    • Establishes the 2+2 targeted pathway program to strengthen Florida’s 2+2 system of articulation and improve student retention and on-time graduation in four years with a baccalaureate degree.
    • Requires each community college to execute at least one 2+2 targeted pathway articulation agreement by the 2018-19 academic year. The articulation agreement must provide students who meet specified requirements guaranteed access to the state university and baccalaureate degree program in accordance with the terms of the agreement.
    • Requires district school boards to notify students and parents with accurate and timely information about how college credits generated in high school will apply towards a college degree. 


    4-Year Graduation Rates

     

    Incentivizes full-time student graduation in four years by focusing institutional efforts on initiatives that reduce student time to, and costs of, on-time degree completion. 


    Changes to State University System Performance Metrics in Preeminence and Performance Funding programs: 

     

    • Tightens graduation rate expectations to four-year (from six-year) for a baccalaureate degree.


    SENATE BILL 4 – RECRUIT AND RETAIN ELITE FACULTY

     

     

    • Establishes a World Class Faculty Scholar Program to fund university efforts to recruit, recognize, and retain star faculty and teams, as funded by the Legislature.
    • Establishes a University Professional and Graduate Degree Excellence Program to promote quality and excellence in university professional school and graduate study outcomes in high-impact fields of medicine, law, and business, as funded by the Legislature.
    • Links education to job opportunities by expanding university responsibility to identify internship opportunities for students to benefit from industry experts and mentors, earn industry certifications, and become employed in high-demand fields of unmet need. 


    United Faculty of Florida – John White

     


    The Union is engaged in contract re-openers, and these are ongoing. The “guns on campus” bill likely will continue to be an issue. Last year, the bill was stopped in the Senate Judiciary Committee. The new Senate Judiciary Committee Chair, Greg Steube, is the Senate member who originally introduced the “guns on campus” bill. The Union is upset about the recent appointment by Governor Rick Scott to the Board of Trustees. Governor Scott appointed Adam Hollingsworth, who obtained jobs in the past by misrepresenting his academic record. The Union believes that someone who lied about his academic credentials has no place on the Board of Trustees, the group that oversees the value of our degrees. Additional information regarding this issue is on the UFF-UNF website. The UFF encourages faculty to sign a petition and letter on the website regarding this issue.

  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)
    Due to many questions were handled in questioning and responding, the order of the extended times are extended from 10 minutes to 18 minutes.

    Responses to questions are posted on the Faculty Association website and included in a future agenda package.

    Q1: To FA President Pyati or Designee. Why does the administration employ an expensive outside attorney to negotiate with the union, when the union/faculty do not similarly employ an attorney to represent us and negotiate on their own? We have many in-house lawyers, including John Delaney, and all of our in-house lawyers recently received very large raises because they threatened to walk out en masse, in a state where faculty do not have the right to strike. Couldn't the fees that Leonard Carson charges each year be put instead toward a faculty/staff raise?

    Q2: To FA President Pyati or Designee. How long does the administration have to answer a question from the Faculty Association?

    Answer from Radha Pyati from the floor. There is no official deadline for submitting responses to questions. Responses are typically received 2-4 weeks after the meeting at which the questions were read. Sometimes it takes a little time for answers to be posted on the FA website. At present the only person with unanswered questions is me, the FA President, for which I am truly sorry. I am attempting to clear all my questions now.

    Q3: From John Hatle: I write to comment on the November 2016 draft of the Course Banking Policy. In particular, I would like to understand the motivation behind the first part of the last Exemption.
    "Any independent study that has students paid as research assistants on the topic
    associated with the DIS..."
    I have a federal grant that has dual goals of doing good science and exposing young students to real research. (Page from NIH AREA solicitation: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/area/area.htm). This exemption in the banking policy would not allow me (and others in a similar situation) to earn credits for mentoring two students on one project, with one student paid off the grant (a reward for longevity on the project) and another earning DIS credits. Training students is a major goal of the grant program, and a record of successful mentoring is vital to renewed funding. To me, prohibiting faculty to bank credit in this situation penalizes those who have been successful at attaining grants to support scholarship. And the university is still collecting tuition and fees from the DIS student.

    Response from the Floor by Provost Earle Traynham
    The provision referred to in this question has been eliminated.


    Q4: For Vice President Stone: The level of risk tolerance that UNF's General Counsel's office routinely functions at is much lower than at our sister universities or even R1 universities. This seemingly absolute intolerance for any risk whatsoever may protect UNF, but it results in research progress being seriously hampered as months go by waiting for a contract for acquisition of necessary material to be finalized. Why can we not come up to the level of risk tolerated by universities whose faculty's research is not imperiled by abnormally long wait times?
    The question will be forwarded to Vice President Stone for a response.

    Q5: For Vice President Shuman. Is it true that if for instance lightning were to fry a piece of scientific equipment, used either for research or teaching purposes, that the university does not possess insurance, maintenance agreements, or have a fund for repairing or replacing that item of equipment? Does not having such a backup plan mean that one's research, and maybe even one's career, could potentially be brought to a halt by such a loss?
    Vice President Shuman will respond in writing.

    Q6: For Associate Vice President Kantner. The sluggish pace at which ORSP's Research Integrity division and the IRB process research protocols existed with former director Dr. Ebong and continues to this day. This has become for many of us a serious hindrance to advancing our research agendas. When should we expect a real change in the speed at which IRB completes this work, and how do you plan to clear the backlog of review requests in an expeditious manner?
    The question will be forwarded to Vice President Kantner for a response.

    Q7: To FA President Pyati or Designee. Faculty who have sought to un-do entry into the Drop program have found this impossible. If President Delaney or, for instance, Dean Chally, were try to un-do their entry into the Drop program, would the university have any financial responsibility or provide any financial reimbursement of any kind?

    Q8: For Provost Traynham. Each year faculty members are asked to provide evaluations of the Provost and their respective deans, but not their department chair. Why is this? One would think that an annual assessment of chairs would be at least as important as that of the other administrators, as they are responsible for the day-to-day functioning of units that most directly interact with faculty and students. Also many chairs are first-time administrators and so can benefit particularly from feedback on their performance. As it now stands, chairs, it seems, are subject to faculty evaluations only when they are eligible for term renewal. Yet this occurs long after such feedback might be useful. And for chairs who elect not to stand for an additional term, this type of feedback seems not to have use at all. Why then are chairs not subject to the type of annual faculty evaluation that their supervisors undergo (and that their faculty also undergo): And why would the University not want to conduct such evaluations when it regularly surveys faculty on a whole range of other matters that are arguably far less relevant to its core academic mission?
    Provost Traynham will respond in writing.

    Q9: Question from the Floor by Mary Borg:
    The podium computer in Building 15, Room 1206, has been reported to Information Technology Services on Monday. Why has the computer still not been fixed?
  • CONSENT AGENDA
    There were no Consent Agenda items for the month of January.
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list; 20 minutes to act immediately on or remove item)

    Agenda Item# 1 - FA 16-42R: Submitted by the Executive Committee
    Faculty Association Bylaws Amendment– 1st Reading
    Addition of New Article Proposal - No Confidence Vote Process

    Faculty Affairs developed the initial language for this proposed policy. The language was adopted from the College of Arts and Sciences policy and procedures. The proposed policy is presented to the faculty for a first reading. The initial 40 names submitted to the FA President cannot be held anonymous. The vote is likely to be conducted via survey. This survey would be conducted in a way to protect anonymity.
    Question from Pali Sen. The language “in writing” used in this policy indicates that the petition is not anonymous. Should the policy be specific in saying that the call for a no-confidence vote should be made “by signed petition?”
    Response from David Fenner. The purpose for using this language was to protect the ability for the Faculty Association President to conduct the process as necessary depending on the context.
    Question from Mark Tumeo. Would the language need to be clearer about these two issues: “a signed petition” and “survey” instead of vote.
    This is the first reading of this policy as stated, and there is no vote.
    The language will be revised and returned to the Faculty Association for review.

    Agenda Item# 2 - FA 17-01: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COAS (Undergraduate) – (English, Languages, Literatures, & Cultures, Philosophy & Religious Studies, Physics, Political Science & Public Administration, and Sociology, Anthropology, & Social Work): New Courses, Courses Change, & Programs of Study (7 packages)
    There was a revision to the Writing Studies Minor in the Department of English. There were removal of courses from the program of study, addition of courses, and some revisions of existing courses. Languages, Literatures & Cultures Department is recommending changes to the International Studies Major, including new courses, all of which will affect six different concentrations. There were changes to the Religious Studies Major to help students meet requirements in a timely manner. The Department of Physics submitted changes in the Bachelor of Science Physics Major with credit hour changes to Mathematical Physics to add a lab portion. Also, there is a new course proposed called Discovering Physics. The Department of Political Science and Public Administration is proposing to eliminate the Political Science Major- Political Science Fast Track MPA Concentration. The Department of Sociology, Anthropology, & Social Work is proposing to create a new course called Archeological Field Methods.
    The item passed with majority vote.


    Agenda Item# 3 - FA 17-02: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COAS (Graduate) – (Sociology, Anthropology, & Social Work): New Courses and Programs of Study (1 package)
    Sociology, Anthropology, & Social Work Department is requesting to create a new graduate degree, Master of Social Work. There were several new courses proposed to meet the requirements of the program of study.
    The item passed with majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 4 - FA 17-03: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    CCEC (Undergraduate) – (Construction Management and School of Engineering/Electrical Engineering): New Courses, Courses Change, & Programs of Study (5 packages)
    The Department of Construction Management proposes new Certificate Program of International Construction Management, including a new course History and Culture in International Architecture and Construction. The Department of Construction Management proposes the creation of a new course called Building Information Modeling and proposes a new concentration in Residential Construction within the Building Construction Major, which creates a new course called Advanced Residential Construction. Construction Management proposes changes to Construction Management minor. The School of Engineering proposes changes to prerequisites for courses in the Electrical Engineering Major and the creation of new courses. Also, there are changes to the Mechanical Engineering Major.
    The item passed with majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 5 - FA 17-04: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    CCEC (Graduate) – (School of Engineering/Mechanical Engineering): Course Changes and Programs of Study (1 package)
    The School of Engineering, MS in Mechanical Engineering, proposes making credit hours adjustable for Graduate Research.
    The item passed with majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 6 - FA 17-05: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COEHS (Undergraduate) – (Childhood Education, Literatures, & TESOL and Exceptional, Deaf, and Interpreter Education): New Courses, Courses Change, & Programs of Study (3 packages)
    Childhood Education, Literacy, and TSOL, proposing several changes to course descriptions and prerequisites. There is a proposal to change the name of the major from Pre-K Primary to Early Childhood Education. The Department of Exceptional Deaf and Interpreter Education proposes a change to the ALS English Interpreter major, requesting a change of courses, adding a new course, and changes to course descriptions.
    The item passed with majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 7 - FA 17-06: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COEHS (Graduate) – (Exceptional, Deaf, and Interpreter Education): New Courses, Courses Changes, & Program of Study) (3 packages)
    The Department of Exceptional, Deaf, and Interpreter Education propose to add a new certificate program in Applied Behavior Analysis. Also from this department is a request for a new certificate in Partnerships for Individuals with Disabilities and Their Families and a change to the ALS Interpreting Major, Interpreter Pedagogy Concentration, which adds courses and changes prerequisites and descriptions.
    The item passed with majority vote.
  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    I.
    II.
    III.            
     
    A List of Updated Five Years Untaught Courses (Deadline – April 2017)
    An Important & Urgent Note from Dr. Michael Bovenzi, APC chair
    Special Topics and Experimental Courses Policy
  • ADJOURNMENT
    The meeting adjourned at 1:10 p.m.