Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Location: Talon Room, Ospreys Commons, Building 16, 4th Floor

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order by President Radha Pyati at 12:15 p.m. There were approximately 95 individuals in attendance and there was a quorum.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – September 1, 2016 (2 minutes)
    (Due to Hurricane Mathew impact, the October 6 meeting was rescheduled & November 3, 2016 meeting was cancelled due to US President Obama’s visit and no legislative items.)
    A motion was made to approve the minutes from the Faculty Association meeting on October 13, 2016.
    The minutes were approved.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (10 minutes)
    Results of the Nominations & Elections Committee Election
    The results of the election for the Nominations and Election Committee are listed in the agenda packet as Information Item #1. One open position exists on the committee from the College of Computing, Engineering, and Construction.

    Other important information items are included in the packet.
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)
    Academic Programs Committee –Michael Bovenzi
    The committee met today, December 1st. The committee has forwarded 10 agenda items to be discussed and voted on in today’s Faculty Association meeting. The next meeting will be in January.
    Note. The committee decided to cancel January 12, 2017 meeting.

    Academic Standards Committee - Steven Williamson

    The Academic Standards Committee last met in November. The committee will be bringing items to the Faculty Association at the next meeting. The committee is scheduled to meet in January 20 at noon in the OFE/FA Conf Room.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee – Elizabeth Gregg

    Pyati reported for the Committee and no report.

    Budget Advisory Committee - Alan Harris
    The Budget Advisory Committee last met on November 18th with Vice President Shari Shuman regarding the university budget. The next meeting will be on Wednesday, January 18th at 9:00 a.m., where the committee will meet with the last three Faculty Association presidents to discuss the charge of the committee.

    Campus Technology Committee - Jose Franco
    The Campus Technology Committee last met on Monday, November 7th at 11:30 a.m. in the OFE/FA Conf Room. The committee discussed Windows 10 and Office 2016. The next meeting is on Friday, Jan 13th 2017 at 10:30 a.m. in the OFE/FA Conference Room.

    Faculty Affairs Committee – Gordon Rakita
    The Faculty Affairs Committee last met on November 10th. The committee drafted a policy on requests for a vote of no confidence. The policy has been submitted for a first reading in the current agenda package. The committee also discuss clarification of language in awards and the possible consolidation of some of the Faculty Association committees. The next committee meeting will be on December 8th. At the upcoming meeting, the committee will address a drafted statement of unity and/or a declaration of sanctuary campus, discuss a proposal by the Student Government to develop a syllabus bank, and review the results of the Research Scholarship survey. The committee has two information items prepared for the current Faculty Association meeting, one on shared governance and one documenting the honorary Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree awarded to John Campion.

    Faculty Enhancement Committee - Raphael Crowley

    The Faculty Enhancement Committee met on November 14th, 2016 at noon in the OFE/FA Conference Room. The committee discussed reviewing the Summer Teaching Innovation proposals and the Faculty Fellows proposals. The committee also discussed reviewing the mission of the Office of Faculty Enhancement. The next meeting has not yet been scheduled but will be announced once scheduled.

    Nominations & Elections Committee –Patrick Kreidl
    Welcome to the new members of the committee. Representation on the committee is needed from the College of Computing, Engineering, and Construction. The new members of the committee will begin their term starting at the next committee meeting on January 10th 2017 at 10 a.m. in the OFE/FA Conf Room. The Nominations and Elections process for other Faculty Association Committees will begin in the Spring semester.

    Research Council – Aisha Johnson-Jones
    Radha Pyati reported for the committee that the grant reviews are not yet complete but are expected to be complete by the end of next week.

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Paul Eason
    The committee members have been meeting with the University Strategic Planning Group and intend to keep the faculty updated on the strategic planning process. A draft of the UNF Strategic Planning is posted on MyWings under QuickLinks. At the bottom of the document is a link to a survey where faculty and staff can provide feedback on the draft Strategic Plan. Feedback received through the survey will be received over the next month and reviewed by the University Strategic Planning Group. At the next meeting of the Strategic Planning Advisory Committee, the committee will plan several open forum meetings with university constituencies for additional feedback and dialogue. At the last meeting of the committee, the committee met with President John Delaney and Vice President Tom Serwatka regarding the nature and format of these open forum meetings. The next meeting will be in January.

    Support Services Committee – Brian Kopp
    The Support Services Committee last met on Friday, November 18th. At this meeting, the committee met with Cheresa Boston from the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs. Dr. Boston provided information regarding Individual Research Development accounts and the Research Course Release program.

    Executive Committee – David Fenner

    Scott Hochwald reported for the Executive Committee last met on November 15th where they prepared the agenda for the current Faculty Association Meeting. There are two agenda items prepared for today’s meeting. The first was the Matriculation Calendar and the second was first reading of a proposed FA Bylaw Amendment change on Votes of No Confidence. There also was an information item about Smoking on Campus.
  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)
    President John Delaney
    President Delaney is out of town at a meeting. There is a proposal that is being circulated to various associations to deal with the Canada geese problem. His door is open to meet with any faculty member. He regularly meets with the faculty union and Faculty Association representatives through the United Faculty of Florida (UFF) Coffee with the President meetings, with the Faculty Affairs and Executive Committees of the Faculty Association, and through meetings with Chairs and Deans.

    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen

    Janet Owen was not able to be here today because of a meeting in St. Petersburg, FL. The next Tallahassee Update is forthcoming and will include items such as new committee assignments and State Budget projections.

    United Faculty of Florida – John White

    The Union is working on Departmental Guidelines; One department different; questions on Union website; Banking Policy; reception.
  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)

    Due to many questions were handled in questioning and responding, the order of the extended times are required from 10 minutes to 18 minutes.

    Responses to questions are posted on the Faculty Association website and included in a future agenda package.

    Comment by FA President Radha Pyati:
    For this meeting, 17 anonymous questions have been received by the FA office. These questions have been edited and consolidated for the sake of the meeting today, but all the questions received are represented in the revised questions to follow.

     

    Question #1: Anonymous Question for FA President or Designee
    It has been established that UNF finished at or near the bottom of the SUS with regard to the state performance metrics, and that based upon the current metrics our movement upward isn’t likely. Could Academic Affairs appoint a committee of individuals with appropriate expertise to participate in data interpretation, formula creation, and causal versus correlative relationships?

    Response from the floor by FA President Radha Pyati
    A group of faculty worked with Vice Provost Jay Coleman this summer on metrics in various colleges and departments. Their (PowerPoint) presentation will be attached to this response included in January 12, 2017 FA Agenda Packet.


    Question #2: Anonymous Question for FA President or Designee
    A follow-up question regarding the UNF Confucius Institute: I would like to request that they invite one or more of the following distinguished scholars to give a seminar during the next year: and a list of suggested seminar speakers was provided.

    Response from the floor by FA President Radha Pyati
    This question and list of suggested speakers has been forwarded to Dr. Mauricio Gonzalez, Chair of the Confucius Institute Board of Directors and someone who works with the Confucius Institute on programming.


    Question #3: Anonymous Question to President Delaney
    This past summer the President made trips to visit honors colleges and art museums with many of the Vice Presidents, the costs of which are a concern when academic resources are dwindling. Could the president please tell us how many trips were taken and how many individuals went on each?

    Question #4: Anonymous Question for FA President or Designee
    How much money is spent annually on campus grounds keeping and gardening, during a time when instructional resources are scarce?

    Response from the Floor from Vice President Shari Shuman
    I will come back to you all with actual amounts for this question. The way that the campus grounds keeping is funded is not with recurring E&G monies. Most of the funding comes from special allocation for plant operation and maintenance funding which is a separate allocation within the legislative budget. When special projects arise, such as the botanical garden between Building 1 and Building 39, we use other non-recurring funds. We do not typically use recurring funds, which are typically reserved for educational purposes.


    Question #5: Anonymous Question for FA President or Designee
    The Provost's descriptions of past searches note the value placed on faculty participation in the process, but the actions issuing from Academic Affairs suggest a pattern of setting aside faculty input, or skipping faculty input altogether, in searches and in other areas. This recurrent ignoring creates the perception that faculty governance doesn’t matter, despite assertions to the contrary. How can the administration demonstrate, going forward, that UNF is a university in which faculty participation in governance is essential?

    Response from the Floor from Provost Earle Traynham
    We do indeed read all feedback received from the search committee. Typically the search committee limits the list of acceptable candidates to 2 or 3 and lists the strengths and weaknesses of each candidate. A decision is made based on feedback that the office has received during the interview and search process, feedback from the committee, as well as feedback from other administrators and faculty who were not part of the search committee but who submitted input regarding the candidates. A decision is made, then, based on one’s best judgment. We assure you that we pay attention to all input.
    Response from the Floor from FA President Radha Pyati
    We have had a lot of faculty concern expressed about meaningful faculty input and meaningful faculty governance, and we have had efforts by the administration to show how faculty input is taken. Moving forward, a focus on our actions is important to demonstrate that faculty participation is listened to and that faculty continue to participate. Paul Eason, for example, explained how faculty can have input into the strategic planning process. Faculty should participate in the upcoming Dean searches. Going forward this Spring semester, we should take an actions-oriented approach to making sure faculty input is copious and valued.


    Question #6: Anonymous Question for President Delaney
    The university seems to be in a spiral of waning faculty confidence in its administration. Does President Delaney have a plan for restoring faith and morale?

    Question #7: Anonymous Question for FA President or Designee
    The administration claims there are no resources for faculty raises. Yet salaries and raises for current and former administrators, as well as ongoing payments to Leonard Carson, suggest that there are resources available for salaries. How can these resources be shared with faculty, who are teaching students on the front lines and are justifiably surprised by these raises, when their own cost-of-living rises with no increase in pay?

    Question #8: Anonymous Question for President Delaney
    Both the Faculty Association and Student Government have passed resolutions asking for enforcement of the No Smoking policy. Yet there seems to be lots of smoking going on. Can we expect something to be done about smoking on campus?

    Response from Vice President Mauricio Gonzalez
    Vice President Mauricio Gonzales has responded to this question and his response is listed as Information Item #5 in the current agenda packet.


    Question #9: Question from Pali Sen for FA President or Designee

    While surfing the Legislative Calendar for 2015 -16, I came across FA 15-32, passed and adopted on 10/01/15. It was a Resolution of Freshman Housing Requirement brought by the Executive committee. The Faculty Association asks the UNF administration to allow students who live in Duval, Baker, Clay, Nassau, or St. Johns County to opt out of the requirement. Strangely, the resolution was supported by a set of graphs of GPA versus freshmen yield but not by Zip code vs. freshmen yield. Can you please find out why the resolution needed a set of misleading graphs?

    Response from the Floor by FA Past President Chip Klostermeyer
    At the time the resolution was passed, the FA did not have that data readily available. The FA used the data that was available at the time. The resolution was modeled after resident’s requirements of at least one other State University System institution (i.e., Florida Atlantic University) and after considerable debate and revision in the Faculty Association committees.


    Question #10: Anonymous Question for the FA Executive Committee and FA Faculty Affairs Committee

    In response to the President's email about the audit report, do the members of the FA Executive Committee and the members of the FA Faculty Affairs committee agree that the two raises in ten months to D. Moon are appropriate and not excessive?

    Response from the Floor by FA Faculty Affairs Committee Chair, Gordon Rakita
    The members of the Faculty Association’s Executive and Faculty Affairs committees are gravely concerned about administrative raises that have taken place in the past several years. However, we are even more concerned about the lack of raises that faculty have received. We find the administration’s practice of giving raises to administrators when no raises for faculty and staff are forthcoming to be inappropriate and unfair.


    Question #11: Anonymous Question for FA President or Designee
    The Faculty Association President said at one point that COAS has procedures for a vote of no confidence in its Dean. Could she please tell us where these procedures are located? Could such procedures be used to remove a sitting Interim Dean? When will procedures be forthcoming on how to conduct a vote of no confidence in President Delaney?

    Response from the Floor by FA President Radha Pyati

    The College of Arts and Sciences Operating Procedures include information about votes of no confidence for the college dean. These procedures can be located on line at the following link:
    http://www.unf.edu/uploadedFiles/aa/coas/deans/COAS_Bylaws.pdf
    The bylaws state that…“(if) ten percent of the College Faculty, with membership in at least three different departments, seek to conduct a vote of confidence in the Dean, they may approach the UNF Faculty Association President with a request for such a vote. The Faculty Association President will then conduct the vote, ensuring confidentiality of participants. The Faculty Association President will report both to the College Faculty and to the Vice-President for Academic Affairs (a) the total number of votes and (b) the number of votes for and against. No more than one such vote of confidence shall be conducted within a twelve month period.”

    I do not know whether such a procedure could be used to remove a sitting interim dean. For other university-wide administrators, the vote-of-no-confidence process is underway within the FA; it requires a Bylaws change, the first reading of such is in today’s agenda packet.


    Question #12: Anonymous Question for FA President or Designee
    The electronic UNF sign on the north side of Alumni Drive has had a blue bar across the bottom-third of the display for the past year. Is there a plan to fix this sign?

    Response from the Floor by Vice President Sharon Ashton
    The sign has a continuously loose panel. We have received a quote to fix the sign. The quote has come in at about $3000. The Public Relations office is working with Parking Services to obtain new signs at the three entrances. There will be a larger Request for Proposals for this project.

    Question #13: Anonymous Question for FA President or Designee

    What is the policy for the UNF Army ROTC and physical training in the mornings? On Monday morning (11/28/2016), these students were blocking the entrance to the Arena Garage while doing physical training by stretching in the middle of the entrance and then running up the various levels of the Arena Garage. They moved out of the way, but this is dangerous. Do they have access to other UNF facilities for physical training in the morning?

    Question #14: Anonymous Question for FA President or Designee
    As of November 28, 2016, Parking Services still had 32 current UNF faculty and staff waitlisted for faculty-staff parking permits for the Fall 2016 semester. Will new parking spaces be added and new faculty-staff permits be issued by the spring semester like it was two years ago? At that time faculty lobbied for an increase in spaces and Parking Services created new faculty-staff spaces.

    Response from the Floor by Vice President Shari Shuman
    There is a Parking Advisory Committee, and there are two faculty representatives on the committee. The committee makes recommendations for what rates will be, what types of spaces are needed, and the number of these different types of parking spaces. A few years ago, we added the ramp in the Arena Parking Garage to the list of faculty/staff parking spaces. No recommendations regarding increased faculty spaces have come from the committee of late. There have been recommendations regarding reducing the number of Blue (category) spaces (Blue spaces Blue parking permits are valid to park in Lots 1, 2, 5, 34, 41, 46, 47, 100 and the Arena and Fine Arts Center garages on the 2nd thru 4th floors) and decreasing the pricing for Gray spaces (parking permits are valid to park in Lots 14, 18, 53 and 60). The current wait-list for Faculty/Staff parking represents an improvement from previous years.
    Response from the floor by Ash Faulkner, Representative on the Parking Services Committee
    Both I and Diane Tanner serve on the Parking Services Committee. Diane’s email is dtanner@unf.edu and my email address is ash.faulkner@unf.edu. The faculty representatives of the Parking Services Committee invites feedback from faculty regarding parking services. Please forward questions about parking services to your representatives so that they can bring these issues to the committee.


    Question #15: Question from the Floor by Curtis Phills for FA President
    Is there an initiative for UNF to become a sanctuary campus joining New College, FIU, UF, UCF, USF, and others?

    Response from the Floor by Gordon Rakita, FA Faculty Affairs Committee Chair
    The issue of UNF becoming a sanctuary campus is on the Faculty Affairs Committee agenda to be discussed next week, along with a similar statement that was prepared by the Philosophy & Religious Studies faculty.

      

  • CONSENT AGENDA
    There were no Consent Agenda items for the month of December.
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list; 20 minutes to act immediately on or remove item)

    Agenda Item# 1 - FA 16-41: Submitted by the Executive Committee
    University Matriculation Calendar 2018-2019 (Draft)
    There were no concerns regarding the Matriculation Calendar.
    The item was passed my majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 2 - FA 16-42: Submitted by the Executive Committee
    Faculty Association Bylaws – 1st Reading”
    Addition of New Article Proposal - No Confidence Vote Process

    There was a question about the statement “with membership within at least two different colleges,” which might be confusing regarding membership. One possible grammatical change would be to replace “within” to “from.”
    There was a question regarding why the number of 40 was used in the statement, as it might seem arbitrary. A percentage of the full-time faculty might seem more relevant. As one person last checked with Institutional Research, the number of full-time faculty was 623. It was noted that the number of 40 faculty was used to be consistent with the number of faculty required for a quorum of the Faculty Association.
    The item will be discussed further at future meetings.

    Agenda Item# 3 - FA 16-43: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COAS (Undergraduate) – (Communication): New Degree Program Request- Proposal for Bachelor of Arts – Communication Studies Major (1 package)
    This is a request of a new degree in Communication Studies.
    The item was passed by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 4 - FA 16-44: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COEHS (Graduate) – (Leadership, School Counseling, & Sport Management): New Degree Program Request –Proposal for Master of Science – Higher Education Administration Major (1 package)
    This proposal is for the establishment of a Master of Science in Higher Education Administration.
    The item was passed by majority vote (with one dissenting vote).

    Agenda Item# 5 - FA 16-45: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COEHS (Graduate)) – (Leadership, School Counseling, & Sport Management): – New Degree Program Request -Proposal for Specialist in Ed Leadership (Ed.S) – Educational Leadership Major (1 package)
    This proposal is for the creation of a new Specialist degree in Educational Leadership.
    The item was passed by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 6 - FA 16-46: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee

    COAS (Undergraduate) – (Biology, Communication, English, International Studies, Languages, Literatures, & Cultures, Mathematics & Statistics, & School of Music): New Courses, Course Changes, Course Termination, & Programs of Study Changes (20 packages)
    This item contains a number of proposals. There is a request by the Biology Department to create a
    Pre-Medical Preparation Seminar, Mayo Clinic Research Internship I and II, and Environmental Physiology. Biology also requests changes to the Biology Major-Ecology and Evolution Biology Concentration in pre-requisites and co-requisite. Biology also requests a change to the Biology Major-Molecular/Cellular Biology and Biotechnology Concentration and in the Biomedical Science Concentration regarding pre-requisites and co-requisites. There are changes in the Biology Major-Coastal and Environmental Sciences Concentration. The Department of Communication has submitted a request to change in Communication Major-Public Relations Concentration to add a prerequisite and changes to existing courses for those pre-requisites. The Department of English is creating new courses, Digital Methods in Literary Studies, Rhetoric in Digital Humanities, and Introduction to Fandom Studies. The Department of History is adding a new course, Digital Archiving and Informational Management. The International Studies Minor is making minor changes. Languages, Literatures, and Cultures Department is adding Digital Textual Editing in Spanish. Languages, Literatures, and Cultures Department is adding a new Digital Humanities Minor and adding two new courses, Digital Humanities Studio and Digital Humanities Internship. Languages, Literatures, and Cultures Department is making changes to the Bachelor of Arts-Spanish Major program of study, including titles of courses, pre-requisites, and course descriptions. The Mathematics and Statistics Department is adding a new Joint Statistical Analysis certificate in SAS. The School of Music is making a change to the Bachelor in Music Education Degree, including terminating courses, adding new courses, and changing existing courses. The changes are being made for accreditation purposes and are in consultation with the College of Education leadership. The School of Music is adding a 2-credit course in Basic Conducting, a new elective course called String Choir, and changing the Large Ensemble requirements for the String Concentration as well as Woodwind/Brass/Percussion Concentration.
    The item passed by majority vote. 

     
    Agenda Item# 7 - FA 16-47: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COAS (Graduate) – (Biology): New Course, Course Change, & Program of Study (2 packages)
    This item includes requests from the Biology Department create a new course called Advanced Histological Techniques Lab and to change the degree pre-requisites to the Masters of Science in Biology program.
    The item passed by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 8 - FA 16-48: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee

    CCB (Undergraduate) – (Economics & Geography): Programs of Study (2 packages)
    This request is to make changes to the International Business Minor to fix problems in the program of study, course descriptions, and changes the study abroad parameters. Also included is a package from the Department of Economics and Geography, changing the International Business Major such that American Sign Language is no longer accepted as a foreign language for this major.
    The item passed by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 9 - FA 16-49: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    CCEC (Undergraduate) – (School of Computing): Course Change (1 package)
    This item requests changes to the pre-requisites for CIS3253.
    The item passed by majority vote. 

     
    Agenda Item# 10 - FA 16-50: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    CCEC (Graduate) – (School of Computing): Programs of Study (1 package)
    This item is a request that 4000 level courses would not count toward graduate credit.
    The item passed by majority vote.

     
    Agenda Item# 11 - FA 16-51: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COEHS (Undergraduate) – (Leadership, School Counseling, & Sport Management): New Courses, Courses Change, & Programs of Study (3 packages)
    Leadership, School Counseling, & Sport Management Department requests changes to existing courses changing course descriptions for Sport Management Practicum and Sport Management Internship. Also from Leadership, School Counseling, & Sport Management Department is the creation of two new courses called Facilitation and Senior Facilitation. Also from Leadership, School Counseling, & Sport Management Department is a proposal to change the Community Leadership Minor to Leadership Minor and to change existing courses in Introduction to Leadership, Community Leadership, and Practicum.
    The item passed by majority vote.

    Agenda Item# 12 - FA 16-52: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee

    BCH (Graduate) – (Nutrition & Dietetics): Program of Study (1 package)
    This request adds additional courses from Health Administration, Nutrition & Dietetics, and School of Nursing as options for the required courses in the Global Health Certificate program.
    The item passed by majority vote.

  • INFORMATION ITEMS

     

                     I.
    II.
    III.
    IV.
    V.
      Elections of Nominations and Elections Committee
      Recommitting to Shared Governance
      Request: Mr. John Campion Honorary Degree
      Preferred Name Cross the Referencing
      Smoking Policy on Campus
  • ADJOURNMENT
    The meeting adjourned at 1:11 p.m.