Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Location: Talon Room, Ospreys Commons, Building 16, 4th Floor

Call to Order:

Dr. Klostermeyer called the meeting to order at 12:15 p.m.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – September 3, 2015 (2 minutes)

    The minutes were approved.

  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (5 minutes)

    Nominations for the Outstanding Undergraduate and Graduate Teaching Awards are currently being accepted; the deadline is on Friday, October 9 at 5 p.m.                

    APC Workflow System Catalog Deadline on Tuesday, October 13 at 5 p.m.
    Jeanne Middleton of the Office of Parent and Family Programs encouraged families to attend the 21st Annual Family Weekend–October 16 to 18, 2014.
    3rd Annual Academic Technology Innovation Symposium on Friday, November 6 from 8:30 am to 4 pm.

    2014-2015 Standing Committee Reports
    Nominations for the Nominations and Elections Committee (term: 1/2016 – 1/2018)
    DL Task Force Report
    Uncollectible Costs on Contracts & Grants submitted by the Sponsored Research
    Degree Progression and Change Major Policy from Academic Affair

  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)

    Academic Programs Committee - Michael Bovenzi

    They met this morning and reviewed submissions.

     

    Academic Standards Committee - Steven Williamson

    The committee will meet Friday, October 16th. They have one agenda item regarding the Latin Honors policy. A student with an “Unforgiveable F” will not be eligible for Latin Honors.

     

    Adjunct Affairs Committee – Elizabeth Gregg
    The committee met on Wednesday, September 23 with Professor James Beasley from English Department, “Faculty Forward Jax” project. The Adjunct Affairs Handbook link is broken. They will meet on Wednesday, October 21.

     

    Budget Advisory Committee - Richard Patterson/Alan Harris
    Alan Harris reported that they met on Friday, September 11 and will meet Thursday, October 8 at 11:00 am in COAS Conference Room. Shari Shuman is guest.

     

    Campus Technology Committee- Donna Mohr

    They will meet Friday, October 9 at 10am in FA conference room. There were 13 technology grant applications received and they are being reviewed now.

     

    Faculty Affairs Committee – David Fenner/Gordon Rakita

    Dr. Chip reported for the committee. The new co-chairs are Fenner and Rakita. There is one item on the agenda regarding the creation of an honors college. The next meet will deal with ISQ dates for summer.

     

    Faculty Enhancement Committee B  Paul Eason  
    The meeting is on Wednesday, October 7 in the Library in Room 2400 at 9:30 am. This month they will be reaching out for volunteers for faculty summer teaching grants.

     

    Nominations & Elections Committee – Pingying Zhang/Patrick Kreidl
    Dr. Chip reported for the committee. Nominations for the N&E Committee will be open soon and taken from the floor next month.

     

    Research Council - Aisha Johnson

    The September 25 meeting was postponed. They will meet on Friday, October 2 at 2:00 PM. Need volunteers for grant review.

     

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Pali Sen
    The committee didn’t meet between the two Faculty Associations meetings but will meet Tuesday, October 6 at 12:15 p.m. in OFE/FA Conference Room in Bldg. 16, Room 3108. They will discuss the National Survey of Student Engagement data related to retention and graduation rates.  They will have the Executive Director of Assessment Judy Miller as their guest.

     

    Support Services Committee – Luke Cornelius

    Brian Kopp reported for the committee. At their September 22 meeting, Alison Cruse gave an update on the customer service experience program. The next meeting is on Tuesday, October 27 and a representative from the LGBT group will come and present.

     

    Executive Committee – Scott Hochwald

    They met on Tuesday, September 15 to set the agenda. There are two agenda items. Next meeting is on Tuesday, October 20 at 12:15 p.m. in the OFE/FA Conference Room, Bldg16, 3rd Floor, Room 3108. Wine & Refreshment Party is removed this year.

  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)

    President John Delaney 

    Not present due to other conflicts.

     

    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen 

    The president is at a downtown lunch for past chamber chairs. He was going to speak on enrollment and the enrollment plan. The president made a presentation regarding the PECO needs to the Board of Governors. A workshop was held regarding the performance model—there may be changes regarding doubling points and making it 100 point scale rather than 50. Another issue discussed was the idea of not having minimum wage as a threshold for employment upon graduation.

     

    United Faculty of Florida – John White

    Stephanie Weiss from the library gave the report. The contract reopeners have started; salary is a mandatory reopening. Benefits are an issue; as well as severability and salary adjustments. The fall newsletter will be out shortly. Questions about drafting the guidelines can be directed to the Union. The Union is approved of using points if the departments choose to use that format.

     

    Academic Programs Committee Workflows System – Michael Bovenzi

    Dr. Bovenzi shared the online content Academic Programs Committee Homepage especially the Helpful Items available for those who are working on academic program changes.


    Instructional Satisfaction Questionnaire (ISQs) Discussion – Dan Richard  

    Dr. Richard gave a report on the ISQs.
    http://www.unf.edu/aa/isq/Supplemental_ISQ_Reports.aspx

  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)
    "Why do we have retention votes for Deans if the results are not going to be honored?"  This question was forwarded to the Provost.
  • CONSENT AGENDA

    There is no consent agenda item for October meeting.

  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list) (20 minutes to act immediately on or remove item)

    Agenda Item# 1 -FA 15-30R: Submitted by the Academic Standards Committee

    Latin Honors Distinction Upon Degree Completion.  

    This was revised so that students who receive an unforgiveable F are ineligible to receive Latin Honors.

    The item passed.


    Agenda Item# 2 -FA 15-31: Submitted by the Executive Committee

    Creation of Honors College. 
    The Faculty Affairs Committee developed this after discussing with the president the various issues. A question was asked about the research scholarship amounts for honor students, and if the undergraduate research support for honors student would change.  Dr. Michelman responded the support is being looked by Dr. Moon, but that they expect that honors students should be able to apply for both support opportunities.

    The item passed.

     

    Agenda Item# 3 -FA 15-32: Submitted by the Executive Committee

    Resolution on Freshman Housing Requirement. 
    Freshmen enrollment and applications have significantly declined. There is concern about the access provided to the local students and the burden of the freshmen housing costs. A question was asked regarding the resolution; it is a symbolic statement.  Kathy Robinson that retention rate and number of hours taken the first year are sensitive to the housing; students who live on campus take more hours and graduate sooner. Dr. Michelman was concerned about outlying counties being included and suggested possible zip code requirements for exemption.  Dr. Bovenzi noted that some departments would be hurt if the housing requirement continued in the same manner as it is now. Dr. Sen noted that a careful analysis of the impact is needed if the current policy is to be continued and requested that any available data be provided. 

    The item passed.

     

    Agenda Item# 4 - FA 15-33: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee

    CCEC (Undergraduate) – (School of Computing & School of Engineering/Civil Engineering):
    New Course & Programs of Study changes (2 packages).

    The item passed.

     

    Agenda Item# 5 - FA 15-34: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COEHS (Undergraduate) – (Foundations & Secondary Education):
     Programs of Study changes (1 package).

    The item passed.

     

     
  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    • Nominations for the Nominations and Elections Committee
    • Uncollectible Costs on Contracts and Grants
    • Report of the DL Task Force
    • Degree Progression and Change Major Policy
  • ADJOURNMENT

    The meeting adjourned at 1:06 p.m.