Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Location: Talon Room, Ospreys Commons, Building 16, 4th Floor

Call to Order:

Dr. Klostermeyer called the meeting to order at 12:16 p.m.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – January 7, 2016 (2 minutes)

    The minutes of January 7, 2016 were approved and posted on web.

  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (5 minutes)
    • Gordon Rakita said there are flyers on the table regarding the online promotion and tenure dossier and the process. They want faculty feedback. Please email him with questions.
    • Donna Mohr said that there are a number of activities to get feedback on the possible switch to Canvas. The purple flier outlines those activities.
    • Standing and University Committee vacancies for the term of years 2016-2018 are listed on the Faculty Association website – Homepage & Hotline web page. The nominations will also be taken from the floor at the March FA meeting.
    • Faculty Association Officers charges are included in the packet.
    • Faculty Association Standing Committee charges and the updated Standing Committee membership are also included in the packet.
    • The deadline for APC Workflow Program Changes is Tuesday, February 9.
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)

    Academic Programs Committee -Michael Bovenzi

    The committee met this morning and their next meeting is March 3. They have one agenda item today.

     

    Academic Standards Committee- Steven Williamson

    They will meet Feb. 19th in the Coggin College 2nd floor Intuition Conference Room.

     

    Adjunct Affairs Committee – Elizabeth Gregg

    They met yesterday and created a first draft for a new award for outstanding UG teaching for adjuncts. They meet the first week of March. Thank you to Earle for that idea.

     

    Budget Advisory Committee – Alan Harris

    They met on January 14th with Jay Coleman, who spoke on the metrics. They meet on February 18th and the provost will be the guest to further discuss the metrics related to funding.

     

    Campus Technology Committee -Donna Mohr  
    They met on Jan 29 to organize for the review of Canvas and ITS. They will build a sandbox where all members can have Canvas accounts to learn the features. There is an upcoming meeting by Canvas representatives and everyone is welcome to attend. You can register on the CIRT page. If you would like a Canvas account to test the new system, please let the committee know before they meet in March. They will meet on Friday, February 26th at 10am.

     

    Faculty Affairs Committee – David Fenner/Gordon Rakita

    At the last meeting, they met with students of DIVEST UNF. They meet next week at 12:15 and will continue the conversation regarding DIVEST UNF with Shari Shuman.

     

    Faculty Enhancement Committee - Paul Eason

    They will meet on Wednesday at 9am in the Faculty Association conference room to discuss their role as the task force to review the Office of Faculty Enhancement.

     

    Nominations & Elections Committee – Patrick Kreidl

    The nominations process is open. The adjournment of this meeting marks the end of the nominations of the officers. The floor is open for nominations for President, Vice President, and Secretary.  The less urgent activity is the nominations process for the committees. You will be getting emails from your college representative related to the nominations.

     

    Research Council - Aisha Johnson

    They met in January and discussed the university’s IRB policy. They meet again on the 10th in the conference room at 10:30am and will be talking about guidelines about the development grants. If you have changes you would like considered, please email Dr. Johnson.

     

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Pali Sen

    They met on Tuesday, February 2 at 12:15 in the FA conference room with the Institutional Research Director, Fen Yu. They reviewed responses to three questions on the UNF graduate senior survey. They did not review the entire survey, as it is long. In 2015, just 28% of students who received the survey responded. The committee will revisit the questions and will make a recommendation on the questions for a comprehensive look of the graduating students.  A representative from their committee attended the UNF strategic council meeting in December and reported to the committee regarding the UNF vision statement for the next ten to twenty years. The next meeting is schedule for Tuesday, March 1 at 12:15pm in the FA conference room. There is an information item in today’s packet.

     

    Support Services Committee – Luke Cornelius

    They met last Thursday with the Dean of the Library. They will post the minutes when approved. They met about the new services available. For the first time, they received $300,000 for new resources such as databases. If you have needs, please see the library. They meet next on the last Thursday of the month with the International Center.

     

    Executive Committee – Scott Hochwald

    They met on January 19 to craft the agenda. The next meeting is Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 12:15 PM in the OFE/FA Conference Room, Bldg 16, 3rd Floor, Rm 3108.

     
  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)

    President John Delaney 

    It looks like on the performance metrics that UNF will come out at 28 points. At this time, it seems as if UNF will be above the 26 point threshold, which is when we lose money. On some of the metrics we are below the threshold and won’t get points.  The cost per degree metric is one issue. The most recent faculty raises drove up the cost per degree and resulted in UNF not getting points on this measure. Overall, it looks like New College is tied with us. West Florida is struggling to get to 26 points and avoid the losing of money. Florida A&M looks like it is in a bounce-back year.  Because they are so low on all the metrics, any improvement gives them points. Florida Atlantic and Florida Gulf Coast do better on the cost per degree because they have essentially open enrollment on admissions and thus do worse than us on other metrics. Regarding the number of universities impacted by the bottom three, 5 of the 11 schools will have been in the bottom in the last couple years. The House of Representatives has some language that eliminates the bottom three. We are in this perfect storm of it hitting UNF bad. Janet Owen and President Delaney had dinner with chancellor last night and talked about the metrics.  Apparently they were unable to revisit the funding formula from last year and it remains the same formula. There is a concern that if UNF does get new money, the BOG has indicated it will be non-recurring. Last year there was no recurring new money; this year we may not get any new money. UNF is focused a lot on the graduation rate, which is 55%, and while the hope is to get to 60%, that is a hard goal to reach. About 25% of the UNF freshmen end up transferring to FSCJ, or other SUS universities. On the other end, about 7 or 8% are still going to school after 8 years. On the bright side, it appears UNF will get construction money.  On a different note, the Wozniack event was a big success with over 4,000 attending. Wozniack met with students beforehand and was very approachable.

    Dr. Klostermeyer said that he had two comments or questions. First, he noted that there was hearsay that about a possible proposal for 3% raises for state employees. If that is so, does that include university employees? President Delaney said that the idea looks dead, though typically they do include the university employees in the state raises. He noted that there had been no raise for state employees since 2006.

    Dr. Klostermeyer asked if there was any word on if the Legislature would slash the Distance Learning fees statewide. President Delaney had heard that this proposal may be dead as well.

    President Delaney closed with the observation that it looks like the Senate will block the guns on campus bill.

     

    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen 

    Janet is not available.

     

    United Faculty of Florida – John White

    The update on Bargaining: UFF is working on ongoing contract re-openers. Salaries are an automatic re-opener.

    1. The issue President Delaney spoke about—funding—is a major concern. We want to work with the president and we understand that money is tight. But to put things into context, we are only seeking a tiny amount ($200,000) to adjust some salaries of faculty hurt by the compression and inversion model. To put this into perspective, the amount we have sought is roughly $40K less than what the university has paid Leonard Carson, the outside legal counsel, to negotiate for the administration on this contract alone.   
    2. We are seeking to get rid of a waiver. A waiver is a means by which one party in a contract signs away their constitutional or contractual rights. We believe that the sever ability article is a waiver in that it allows a part (or all) of the contract to be rendered null and void by legislative action. Only a court with jurisdiction should have the power to invalidate a signed contract. Why would we or anyone enter into negotiations with another entity—in this case the state—if that entity can arbitrarily decide to nullify parts of that contract without judicial review?
    3. I am teaming up with Faculty Association, the Carpenter Library, and other concerned faculty to publish information on predatory journals. It was clear at this year’s Promotion and Tenure meetings that some faculty have no understanding of what predatory journals are. There is also misconception about quantity versus quality of publications. Work published in pay-to-play journals is almost always of little value. We will be putting out more information on this issue.  
    4. We are still fighting the guns-on-campus issue. It passed the Florida House and is headed to the Senate where, as President Delaney noted, it is unlikely to get much traction.   
    5. We are having our monthly chapter council meeting next Friday (February 12th). It is open to the public.   

       

      IDEA Survey – Judith Miller

      Regarding the annual IDEA rating of the chairs and administrators. Many of you have been receiving invitations to rate; this is an annual process that is mandated by UNF policy. All full-time faculty, except visitors, are asked to rate the provost; some of you are asked to rate your dean; some of you are asked to rate your chair. You may be getting multiple surveys. In the past, faculty have expressed concern about anonymity; your response will not be connected to you unless you make a comment that reveals your identity. Dr. Sen asked about the internal response rate? Dr. Miller noted that usually the rate is about 70%, which is why there are so many email reminders.

       

    1. QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)

      Dr. Sen to President Delaney: Can we use a similar technique to students until they fill out their graduating
      senior survey?
      President Delaney said he would look into it.

    2. CONSENT AGENDA

      There is no consent agenda item for February meeting.

    3. LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list) (20 minutes to act immediately on or remove item)

      Agenda Item# 1 - FA 16-06R: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee

      COEHS (Undergraduate) – (Childhood Education, Literacy, & TESOL): New Courses, Courses Changes, & Program of Study) (1 package)

      The item passed.

    4. INFORMATION ITEMS
      1. Faculty Association Officers (2016-2018) Nominations
      2. Faculty Association Standing and University Committee Nominations
      3. A List of Standing Committees Membership
      4. Standing Committee Charges (2016)
      5. Standing Committee Vacancies ((2016-2018)
      6. University Committee Vacancies (2016-2018)
      7. Annual IDEA Ratings of Chairs and Administrators 
      8. Student Enrollment and Degree Data  
    5. ADJOURNMENT

      The meeting adjourned at 12:52 p.m.