Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Location: Talon Room, Ospreys Commons, Building 16, 4th Floor

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order by Chip Klostermeyer at 12:45 p.m.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – April 2, 2015 (2 minutes)
    Minutes of April 2, 2015 were approved as posted on the web.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (5 minutes)
    • Spring 2015 Campus Climate Survey Results
    • Faculty Development Summer Teaching Grant Rubric and Instructions
    • 2015-16 Faculty Association Schedule
    • 2015-16 Academic Programs Committee Schedule
    • 2015-16 University Matriculation Calendar
    • 2014-15 Faculty Award Winners
    • 2015-17 Committee Elections Results
    • 2015-16 Standing and University Committee Directories
    • Volunteer for the Support Services Committee CCB Representative
    • Michael Stevenson, a candidate for provost and vice president of Academic Affairs, starting on Monday, May 18, in multiple locations. A full itinerary may be obtained from Valerie Reynolds, coordinator.  The campus community is invited to attend a session at 2:45 p.m. in the Student Union, Building 58W, Ballroom, Room 3703. Dr. Stevenson’s resume/vita can be viewed at http://www.unf.edu/uploadedFiles/president/president/Stevenson.pdf Between Monday, May 18 and Friday, June 5, we will be interviewing 5 candidates selected from115 applicants. The dates for the five sets of on-campus interviews are as follows:
      • May 18 – May 19     Michael Stevenson 
      • May 26 – May 27     Cheryl Torsney 
      • May 28 – May 29     Christopher McCord 
      • June 1 – June 2        Mark Severson 
      • June 4 – June 5        Earle Traynham 
       
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)

    Academic Programs Committee – Michael Bovenzi

    They met on April 30. Next meeting is June 4th.


    Academic Standards Committee –Edwin Harris
    They will meet Friday, May 15, 2015 at10:30 am in COEHS 3rd floor and have invited their new members to join them. Agenda includes election of a chair and vice chair; beginning the process of revising the bylaws of academic appeals committee and the academic appeals process. Financial aid personnel will attend the meeting.


    Adjunct Affairs Committee – Not available

    No report.


    Budget Advisory Committee – Julie Ingersoll/Richard Patterson
    They met on Friday, April 3 at 10:00 AM in Building 10, Room 2451. The minutes of the January 23rd and March 6th meetings were reviewed and approved with minor edits. Guest Dean Elizabeth Curry presented on the library budget process. She provided a handout (via email) on Academic Affairs Budgetary Process with the following summary and timeline:

    • August – January: While working with the college deans, departments/units develop or update strategic plans, using input from faculty, staff, directors, and chairs.
    • January 31:  College dean submits departmental / college strategic plan to Academic Affairs.
    • March 15: Colleges / units submit specific itemized budget requests for new recurring and non-recurring funding to Academic Affairs.
    • March 15 – March 30: Provost reviews and preliminarily scores each item.”
    • March 30 – April 10: Provost meets with the Academic Affairs Budget Council to review all budget requests, and makes final determination of scoring for each item.
    • April 10 – 20: Provost and/or Associate Provost meets with the chair of Faculty Association Budget Committee to review final scored budget request.
    • April 15: Provost submits final scored budget request to the President.
    • April 15 – May 31: President reviews budget submissions from all university divisions.
    • June: President makes final budget determinations once full available funding allocation is known, and submits to Board of Trustees for approval.
    • Late June: Feedback on final budget allocation for forthcoming fiscal year is made to deans and other AA unit heads.

    Dean Curry shared a draft document of the Collection Development & Budget Process for Major Library Resources, a handout about the Comparison of UNF to Florida Peer Institutions for 2013-2014 and presented a handout on Digital Bookplates specific to the library fundraising efforts. Additionally, she stated that one of her long-term goals is to extend the library. Dean Curry stated that when compared with other peer institutions, UNF expenditure per FTE for library information resource is the lowest at $144.93. For example, UWF spend $151.08, FGCU spend $180.89, and FAU spend $183.32. It was also noted that keeping the budget constant would likely mean a substantial reduction in resources, as providers are raising their prices. They also discussed the Digital Commons, which is a resource available to faculty. Dean Curry also responded to other questions from committee members regarding the following topics: Librarian liaison department representative, Inter-library loan, and SACs compliance. Next meeting date will be determined.

     

     

    Campus Technology Committee – Donna Mohr
    They met Wednesday 4/22 at 2:00 pm in the OFE/FA Conference Room and finalized the procedural document on a mini-grant system. The funding request was forwarded.  They will work over the summer informally. Two initiatives are going forward—a small group is reviewing software for screencasts; they are hoping to make a campus-wide recommendation in the fall. The 2nd is to identify faculty who have needs for high-performing computing materials; please contact Dr. Rakita if your needs are not being met. They will meet in August for a tour of CIRT.

    Faculty Affairs Committee –David Fenner
    They have one item on the agenda. The committee will not meet until fall.

     

    Faculty Enhancement Committee – Kristine Webb/Paul Eason

    They met April 8th at 10:00 am in the OFE/FA Conference Room to review the Faculty Enhancement Office. They will not be meeting until the fall.

     

    Nominations & Elections Committee – Pingying Zhang

    No report.


    Research Committee – Courtney McLeland

    They met 4/28. Dr. Asia Johnson was elected as chair. They will meet in the fall.  

     

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee   Pali Sen

    They cancelled their 5/5 meeting due to Albert Colom, Assoc VP Enrollment Services, was unable to attend the meeting. The committee will not meet until fall. 

     

    Support Services Committee – Robert Schupp

    No report.

    Executive Committee –Scott Hochwald       

    They met 4/21/15 to craft agenda. They will meet next Tuesday, May 19th at 12:45 p.m. in the OFE/FA Conference Room.

  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)

    President John Delaney

    Dr. Klostermeyer read President Delaney’s email to the group. “I had the wrong date for this meeting on my calendar, placing it last week which of course was Intersession. I regret that I am out of town today. Janet Owen will give the Legislative update. As of now, we do not have a budget. We have put together a ‘continuation budget,’ which means that we are assuming no new funding for the Legislature. We still have to deal with inflation and what I call inertia costs. These are expenses that increase no matter what our funding. For example, faculty raises and promotions must be funded. We will report over the summer as we get more specific numbers. The Provost Search process is active, and five people are coming to campus for interviews in the next few weeks. I think we can be optimistic. We are in the early stages of Strategic Planning. We update this every few years. We all know there are areas that we would like to grow and improve. Faculty pay is always a priority. Beyond that, I would love to see UNF become a better version of what it is now. Of course, this is a shared governance environment, and if a consensus emerges to change the UNF trajectory, we will use that road map. There will be much more to come on this in future months and plenty of time for input. As always, my door is open for any meeting, and I respond to all emails in a prompt fashion. Feel free to contact me at any time, and I also continue to look for venues for interaction.


    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen 
    Janet Owen was not present, but Dr. Klostermeyer shared that there was no budget and that the special session will start in June.


    United Faculty of Florida – John White

    No report.

     

    Vice President of Administration and Finance- Shari Shuman

    Shari Shuman noted that the legislative special session will start June 1. The plan is to have a budget by June 20 that the governor will sign July 1. The UNF administration met with the BOT on Tuesday, May 12. They decided that there would be no tuition increase. Revenues show zero increase at this time. There are about one million dollars of additional expenses and one new committee faculty position (because of SACS). There is movement for 3 more faculty positions for the following year. The university moved over 12 million non-recurring dollars to use for this coming year. Primarily the money will be used for additional graduate assistantships and increasing enrollment and graduation. They expect 50 additional FTE from this year to next year, which would allow for 500 more students. Realistically, these additional students would not happen in one year, unless they are from transfer. If they get additional dollars, they will consider putting it in reserve and remain in a conservative posture in the event performance dollars change. With regard to the mini-grants for technology mentioned by Donna Mohr, they have funded the program for $10,000.

     

    Parking Advisory Council Annual Report- Paul Mason

    1. No changes were made to permit fees, citation fees, permit categories, or locations of parking for specific groups for 2015-2016. The fee charged to tow vehicles was increased to cover the cost of towing.
    2. A total of 80 new Faculty/Staff parking spaces were added effective with Spring semester, consisting of 50 on the first floor ramp and 30 spaces on the student union side of the second floor in the Arena Garage. Based on a 1.5 permit sales ratio, this resulted in 120 additional faculty staff permits available. As of May 12, there were 20 faculty staff permits remaining.
    3. Garage 44A opened at the start of spring 2015 semester with a total of 545 spaces. The first and second floors are set for Housing A.  Housing A has 246 spaces on those two floors. The third floor has 147 spaces and can be set for either Housing A or Blue depending on the Housing permit sales. The fourth floor is a Blue (premium) parking area and has 152 spaces. This resulted in a net increase of 72 new Blue parking spaces.
    4. The Environmental Center presented the results of a survey of 1,500 faculty, staff, and students, concerning electric charging stations for vehicles. Only 6% of responders indicated an interest in the possible charging stations. They were some concerns of increased energy costs for the University. Parking Services expressed a concern for monitoring the use of parking spaces containing charging stations. The Parking Advisory Council unanimously supported moving the initiative forward.

    The Council discussed a possible automatic renewal of parking permits for faculty and staff. The topic was deferred to the next academic year pending the effect that the new faculty/staff spaces has on the wait list for the faculty/staff permits.

  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)

    Question:  Smoking will be banned on campus August 1. Will there be a fine?

    Answer:   Shari Shuman does not think there will be a fine.

    Question:  David Courtwright asked for clarification on the Connect program partnership with FSCJ and UNF mentioned in the Times Union this past week. How large is this program going to become? Will the students take classes? Will those classes be taught by FSCJ or UNF faculty members? At what point do the students transfer—before they get the A.A. degree? After?

    Answer:  Provost Traynham—All students at FSCJ who meet the UNF admission standards can transfer to UNF—that is nothing new. What got the conversation going is an interest in how well UCF and Valencia College and their Connect program works, seems to be similar to how it works here. The Connect program allows students to be admitted in the summer with a lower academic profile than in the fall; the number of students in summer of 2014 and 2013 admitted with lower academic profiles; if they take less than 12 hours at UNF and then go to FSCJ in Fall and Spring, they can return as a transfer student and not count against UNF’s FTIC.  If there is extra classroom space, they may have FSCJ faculty come to UNF to teach, but they doubt that that will happen as the students will likely need different courses. However, the students can stay in housing and use UNF services and facilities. They want them to keep a connection with UNF so that they can transfer back.

     

    Question: To President Delaney: As the president of a public metropolitan university committee to community engagement and seeking to establish and strengthen ties with community organizations and agencies, why did you decide to not only publicly endorse one, but also attack the other, mayoral candidate. The question was forwarded to President Delaney for his response.

     

    Question: To UFF. Some 15 plus years ago, monies were available for compression/inversion (C/I/D). About 70% of it was given to adjust salary to the Professor rank. When others complained, they were told to get promotion for raise. Some did just that. This time around, even though some department professors got big raises, in most departments, Associate and Assistant Professors got bigger percentages of raises.  What was the rationale behind this year’s negotiation to keep Professors’ salaries mostly across the board?

    In addition, is it fair that the highest paid faculty member in COAS got a raise through compression and inversion?

     

    Question: Will there be an increase in travel funding and/or travel funding for non-tenure-track faculty?

    Answer: (By Chip Klostermeyer) At this time, it does appear there will be an increase in travel funding due to the budget uncertainty.  However, President Delaney and I have discussed the possibility of a tactical increase in travel funding to strengthen UNF research productivity. I believe the President supports this idea and I will continue to work with him on this issue.

  • CONSENT AGENDA
    There is no consent agenda item for May meeting
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list) (20 minutes to act immediately on or remove item)

    Agenda Item# 1 –FA 15-19: Submitted by the Faculty Affairs Committee:
    Instructional Satisfaction Questionnaire (ISQ) Final List. 
    There was some discussion about changing the name to “instructor Satisfaction Questionnaire” as well as some discussion on the validity of the items.  
    The item passed with no change.

     

    Agenda Item #2- FA-15- 20: Submitted by the Executive Committee:
    Request: To change the name “Department of Music” to “School of Music”
    The department of Music has a request to change the name to the School of Music. They offer a variety of degrees and felt the word “School” better matched what they do.  The item was moved. Discussion included the possible change of COAS in the future being impacted by this change. The response is that this name change is part of their strategic plan but they had waited until they had the master degrees and music technology degree benchmarks in place. Many of their competitors are called “Schools of Music” so this name change is an important marketing piece. The department, chair, and dean are in favor of the change. The chair/director of the school will not get an increase in salary as a result of the name change.
    The item passed.

  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    1. UNF Campus Climate Survey Results for Spring 2015
    2. Faculty Association Standing and University Committee 2015-2017 & 2015 DP Election Results
    3. Faculty Association Standing & University Committee Directories (2015-2016)
    4. Latin Honors Survey Result
    5. W-D Dates and Academic Standing
    6. Faculty Development Summer Teaching Grant Rubric and Instructions
    7. Intercollegiate Athletic Committee Remarks to Faculty Association (April 2, 2015)
    8. 2014-2015 Faculty Awards University Selection Committee Members 
    9. 2014-2015 OT Undergraduate College Screening Committee Members
    10. 2014-2015 OT Graduate College Screening Committee Members
    11. 2015-2016 Faculty Association Schedules
    12. 2015-2016 Academic Programs Committee Schedules
    13. 2015-2016 University Matriculation Calendar (Click on the Link)
  • ADJOURNMENT
    The meeting adjourned at 12:50 p.m.