Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Location: Talon Room, Ospreys Commons, Building 16, 4th Floor

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order by Chip Klostermeyer at 12:21 p.m.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – February 5th, 2015 (2 minutes)
    The minutes of February 5 were approved.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (5 minutes)
    • The 2015-2017 Standing and University Committee nominations will also be taken from the floor, and today this is the final nomination period. After the meeting, no more nominations will be accepted. Each table has been distributed the two set hard copies by listing the committee vacancies for your reference. The blue color paper is for the standing committees, and the light yellow paper is for the university committees.
       
    • Faculty Association Standing Committee charges and the updated Standing Committee membership are posted on the Hotline.
    • The 2 approved agenda items FA 15-03 (Complete Withdrawal Policy) & FA 15-05 (Resolution –
       Opposing Guns on Campus) are reposted as the information items for the reference.
       
    • LGBT Community is holding the Stepping towards a Trans* Inclusive Campus Professional Development Training on April 2, from 10:00 a.m. to Noon in Bldg 58W, Room 3805. Registration through MyWings CPDT.
    • Payroll—if you are on 9 month contract but want to be paid over 12 months, contact  Human Resources before June 30.
    • Mark Falbo thanked those who are contributing to the United Way or directly to organizations. There is a flyer on the table for more information.
    • Flyers of 2015 Week of One – Diversity Events from March 9 through March 13 were distributed by Cheryl Gonzalez, Director of Equal Opportunity and Diversity
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)

    Academic Programs Committee – Michael Bovenzi
    The met this morning. April 2 is next meeting. Some material for the APC Workflow System will be provided next month to show some of the upcoming changes in web content.

    Academic Standards Committee –Edwin Harris
    They met yesterday. They thanked Ellie Scheirer for attending the meeting. They discussed the survey regarding the Latin Honors Policy—it has been forwarded to Exec committee. The final version of the Complete Withdrawal Policy is included in the packet this month with some edits by Provost’s office that were approved of by ASC and Executive committee. Their next meeting is April 15, and they hope to have the survey results by then.


    Adjunct Affairs Committee – Melissa Hargrove

    No report.


    Budget Advisory Committee – Julie Ingersoll/Richard Patterson

    They will meet Friday, March 6 at 10 am in the President’s Conference Room to have conversation with the Council of Chairs to determine a view of how budget works. Another meeting will be held in early April to meet with the Library regarding budget issue.


    Campus Technology Committee – Donna Mohr
    They met Feb. 18; they reviewed items from the technology survey from the fall—a few of the themes have big budget items attached—including an expansion of the high quality research software access and licenses. When Lance Taylor brought in the added costs, it was an eye-opener. One budget request that they hope to be high on the list is a mini-grant system for hardware or software that won’t fit into a department budget. The committee meets again on March 25th at 2:00 p.m. in the OFE/FA Conference Room.


    Faculty Affairs Committee – David Fenner/Steven Williamson

    David Fenner reported that they met with John Kantor and IRB staff and discussed the IRB process. The climate survey will be distributed next week to faculty. They discussed the content of the ISQ questions and then will share with the Executive Committee. One agenda item of Summer Scholarship Grants Policy will be considered today. They will meet next Thursday, 3/12 at OFE/FA Conference Room.


    Faculty Enhancement Committee – Kristine Webb/Paul Eason

    Paul Eason reported that they are in the process of revising the rubric for the teaching grants; they are revising some of the procedures regarding disseminating the grant applications and the review process. They will meet Wednesday, March 25th at 10am in OFE/FA Conference Room.

     

    Nominations & Elections Committee – Pingying Zhang
    They met and have completed their goal of nominations, but will take nominations from the floor today.

    Campus Technology—Jose Franco from Arts and Sciences

    Strategic Planning Advisory —Richard Patterson from Arts and Sciences

    Calendar Committee- Scott Hochwald from Arts and Sciences

    Space Committee- Edwin Harris for At-large

    Student Conduct Board- Edwin Harris for At-large


    Research Committee – Courtney McLeland

    They met on February 11th and will meet Wednesday, March 11th in the Library Small Conference Room to look at award data.

     

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee- Pali Sen

    They met March 3 at 12:15 p.m. — Aaron Spaulding will represent their committee in the University Strategic Planning group. They are waiting on data regarding on transfer students from IR. The next meeting is on Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 12:15 p.m. in the OFE/FA Conference Room.

     

    Support Services Committee – Robert Schupp

    They met Thursday, Feb 26 and Marc Snow was the guest. They discussed free speech on campus; their next meeting is on Thursday, March 26th, 2015 @2 p.m. in Bldg 42/Rm 3136.

    Executive Committee –Scott Hochwald       

    They met on February 17 to set the agenda.

    Next meeting is Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 12:15 PM in the OFE/FA Conference Room, Bldg 16,
     3rd Floor, Room 3108

  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)

    President John Delaney  

    The Legislature is in session—they are still dabbling with the performance metric system; the Board of Governors has not released the university scores as some schools are still working on their data submission—the bottom three will not get more money and may lose money; UNF is tied for 6th according to their scoring.  Two weeks ago, the Board of Governors had to recalculate the excess hours metric; next year is still a mystery—because you can gain points. Strategic planning conversations are going on at this time—it is an iterative process, so appreciate the input.

     

    Several emails have come in regarding the on-campus transition program; UNF is one of the few schools doing this. This email is from a Texas family—they were impressed with the program at UNF and how well the director and program welcomed. Thank you to Dr. Kris Webb for coordinating this.

     

    The UNF basketball team is doing well and they have the largest student attendance in the conference. If they win on Sunday, they go to the NCAA tournament; the faculty are invited to come out tonight and see the game.

    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen 
    No report.


    United Faculty of Florida – John White

    The contract is very close; they will meet on Monday, March 9 from 1pm to 3pm in Building 1, Room 1306 and hopefully for the last bargaining session. A reminder that all in-unit faculty can vote on the ratification. To view the contract, please go to the Union website or email Dr. White. They are still fighting the Guns on Campus Bill and a proposal for exempting searches for university president and provosts from the Sunshine laws—no mention would be made until the final offer. Their objection is that the process is not clear. The chapter meeting is Friday, March 13 from 10:30 a.m. to 12 noon, and all faculty are welcome.

     

    Campus Safety Advisory Report – John Hale
    The bylaws were updated to recognize how the council is functioning—a) recognize compliance officer and HR as members; b) updated process for election of officers;  They conducted a night safety walk in November. Major improvements were made in exterior lighting levels. Additional projects are in process with the Fountains crosswalk or pending (bollard replacements). The parking lots are being updated with LED fixtures.  They discussed use and deployment of Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs). They recommended that they be kept and maintained by UPD.  Subsequently, UPD received a $16k life-saving equipment grant from Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation to purchase 12 devices.  One has already been used in saving a life on campus. They recommended changes to the traffic flow in Lot 9. Parking services made changes for one-way only traffic through the loop adjacent to B14.  With the acquisition of the Flats, and Kernan Realignment project now dead, they will be making improvements to the Flats including a new crosswalk between the Flats and Hicks Hall with LED flashers in the road.  The Victim’s Advocate office will be posting “violence” awareness signage in all restroom on campus.  The signage will be periodically removed and replaced to keep it current. The liability claims are low and the costs are down with the exception of one liability claim that was made.

  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)

    (1)        At the last meeting, my question was read and I sensed most people joking, so please let me try again to share the serious issue of the goose feces in building. Now I see the geese causing issues of making feces on sidewalks. I saw the students - and even the faculty - having the geese feces on their shoes and making public building carpets and floorings so messy.  I researched the issue and found that Chattanooga State Community College had similar issue. Their maintenance crews remove up to 100 pounds of geese feces each day.  Goose feces in ponds are bad for the water and causes much algae growth.  Stony Brook University had similar issue and used the border collie dogs with trained handlers to humanely remove the geese. Other idea is the Solar Super Sonic system. With this technology, the system plays pre-recorded goose distress calls every ten minutes to alert geese of danger.  There must surely be more options the university can enact before we have a feces crisis.
    Response: Dr. Klostermeyer said the geese issue is being reviewed.

     

    (2)           I would like to see a breakdowns by college/unit for those awarded half-year, full pay sabbaticals. Although I have been at UNF for many years, I have never taken a sabbatical, and have been turned down for the half-year, full pay sabbatical (many faculty cannot afford the full year, half-pay sabbatical).  I would also like to know if there will be an increase in the number of half-year, full pay sabbaticals as the number of faculty has increased steadily. Obviously, the odds have been skewed against the faculty with so few sabbaticals and so many more faculty competing for them than in years past.

    The question will be forwarded to appropriate groups.
  • CONSENT AGENDA
    There is no consent agenda item for March meeting.
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list) (20 minutes to act immediately on or remove item)

    Agenda Item# 1 - FA 15-06: Submitted by the Faculty Association President

    2015-2016 Faculty Association Budget Proposals
    The agenda item passed.

     

    Agenda Item# 2 - FA 15-07: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee

    COAS (Undergraduate) – (Art & Design, Communication, History, Music, Physics, Sociology, Anthropology, & Social Work): New Courses, Course Changes, & Programs of Study changes
    (7 packages)
    This agenda item is lengthy; the first change from Art and Design; the second is from the Department of Communication for a special topics course; the third agenda item is changes to the communication program; the fourth package is adding of a new elective course for History; the next one is a lengthy one from Music; also changes to the physics undergraduate program; changes to the sociology major course descriptions. 
    The item passed.

     

    Agenda Item# 3 -FA 15-08: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COEHS (Graduate) – (Leadership, School Counseling & Sport Management): course changes & programs of study (1 package)      

    This is a course title change and a change to the internship. 
    The item passed.

     

    Agenda Item# 4 -FA 15-09: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    BCH (Undergraduate) – (School of Nursing): course changes & programs of study (1 package)

    These are changes to the Nursing Major; mostly clerical changes; pre-requisite changes.
    The item passed.

     

    Agenda Item# 5 -FA 15-10: Submitted by the Faculty Affairs Committee
    Summer Scholarship Grants Proposed Policy              

    Dr. Fenner noted this is a recommendation to effectively move more of the award money into     
    the hands of junior faculty—a slight modification of the requirements.

    The item passed.

  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    1. Complete Withdrawal Policy (FA 15-03)
    2. Resolution – Opposing Guns on Campus (FA 15-05)
    3. Teaching Grant Statistics Fall 2014
    4. Faculty Association Standing and University Committee Nominations
    5. Summer Scholarship Grant Recommendations & Funding Report
  • Adjournment
    The meeting adjourned at 1:02 p.m.