Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, November 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Location: Talon Room, Ospreys Commons, Building 16, 4th Floor

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 12:18 p.m. by Faculty Association President, Gordon Rakita.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES
    The minutes of the meeting of October 3, 2013 were approved as posted on the web page.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS

    Registrar Megan Kuehner announced that there is a new tool in Blackboard that will allow faculty to migrate final grades entered in Blackboard into the final grade form in the Banner System.  The tool will be available by the beginning of December.  Faculty will still need to submit grades through MyWings and enter last attendance dates for students receiving grades of F or I.  Final grades for the Fall 2013 semester are due on

    December 17 at 10:00 a.m.

     

    On the  last page of the agenda packet are the following items:

    1. the 2013-2014 Promotion and Tenure Timeline;
    2. announcement for election to fill vacancies on the Nominations and Elections Committee; voting will occur online starting Monday, November 11 at 9:00 am and continue until Monday, November 18 at 5:00 pm.

    Nominee materials for the Outstanding Undergraduate and Graduate Teaching Awards are due by Thursday, November 14 at 5 p.m.  Guidelines for materials are posted on the Faculty Association web page. 

     

    There is an enrollment update report posted on the Faculty Association website – Hotline Page.  This report was given by Interim Assistant Vice-President for Enrollment Services John Yancey at the last Board of Trustees meeting.

  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS

    Academic Programs Committee - Cheryl Frohlich
    Faculty Association President Gordon Rakita reported.  The committee is meeting now, during this meeting.  The next committee meeting will be on December 5 at 10:00 am in the Faculty Association conference room, Building 16, Room 3100.  The committee has three items on the legislative agenda today.  The committee chair, President Rakita, and ITS staff have been working on a system to augment the APC Workflow System to handle the courses that have not been taught in five years and are due to be eliminated.
     

    Academic Standards Committee - Saurabh Gupta

    Saurabh Gupta reported.  The committee met on October 11, and discussed several issues, including an amendment to the University Academic Appeals Committee Bylaws and term forgiveness.  These issues were then brought to the Executive Committee.  The committee is still working on a revision to the Academic Grades Appeals process.  The next meeting will be on November 22 from 11:30 am to 1:00 pm in Coggins College of Business, Room 2004.

     

    Adjunct Affairs Committee - Peter Magyari/Daniel Dinsmore

    Peter Magyari reported.  The committee met on Monday, November 4 at 9:00 am in Brooks College of Health, Room 2027. Interim Provost Earle Traynham met with the committee to discuss the issue of adjunct pay.  Interim Associate Provost Jay Coleman provided the committee with documentation about the cost to the university of a pay increase for adjuncts.  There was discussion of the possibility of an increase of the minimum level of adjunct pay next year by 12.5%.  The next committee meeting will be on Monday, December 9 at 9:00 am in the second floor conference room of the Brooks College of Health.

     

    Budget Advisory Committee – Jeffrey Harrison/Paul Mason

    Paul Mason reported.  The committee met on Tuesday, October 8 with Vice-President for Administration and Finance Shari Shuman to discuss the upcoming UNF budget.   Recurring E&G (Educational and General Programs) funds increased by $9,133,417 over the previous year.  The total increase for the UNF budget, including increased reserves and FICA savings, was approximately $11.8 million.  The total UNF budget for 2013-2014 is then $143,756,841.  Due to the increase in funding, 31 faculty positions have been authorized for hiring next year; there are still, however, a number of vacant lines unavailable for hiring.  The cost of the raises received by faculty came to about $2 million.  General Revenue rose to 53.2% of total revenue this year, up from about 50% last year.  In 1988-1989, General Revenue funded 86.75% of the total funding for UNF; tuition, 13.25%.    In aggregate, Academic Affairs gained about $325 thousand; but as a percentage of the budget, lost 0.6%, in part due to shifting of funds to the President’s Office to pay for federal lobbying.  The state provided an enrollment target of 10 thousand FTE; the final total for Fall 2013 was 10,200 FTE.  The next committee meeting will be on Tuesday, November 12 at 11:30 am in Room 4032 of the Brooks College of Health; Interim Provost Traynham will meet with the committee. 

     

    Campus Technology Committee - Donna Mohr

    Donna Mohr reported.  The committee met on Friday, October 11, primarily to discuss the project of inspecting classrooms, together with representatives from ITS.  The next committee meeting will be on Friday, November 8 at 9:30 am in Building 42, room 2004.  The committee will review clicker technology; the current vendor has been bought, so that this is an opportune time to review the current choice.  The committee will also update their ongoing classroom review, and discuss an information item on the Student Government’s desire to streamline the variety of Scantron forms.

     

    Faculty Affairs Committee - David Fenner

    David Fenner reported.  The committee met last on Thursday, October 10.  They discussed a recommendation to change the graduate faculty policy to allow retired faculty to retain their graduate faculty status.  The committee also discussed a recommendation to change the UNF religious observance policy to avoiding favoring one religion over another.  The next committee meeting will be on Thursday, November 14.  The committee will consider the question of the ISQ and grade distribution data being published on the course schedule website.

     

    Faculty Enhancement - Georgette Dumont

    Alan Harris reported.  The committee met on October 27, and discussed the review of summer teaching grants.  All of the grants have been sent out for review.  There were fewer grant applications and more reviewers this year.  There are about 25 reviews currently outstanding.  The deadline for the reviews is Friday, November 8.  The next committee meeting will be on Thursday, November 21 at 12:30 pm in the Faculty Association conference room.    .

     

    Nominations & Elections Committee – Steven Williamson

    Steven Williamson reported.  There are positions available for a 2-year term on the committee.  There are already nominations for all these positions; nominations were also accepted from the floor.  There was one nomination from the floor, Dr. Terry Cavanaugh. The election will start on Monday, November 11 at 9:00 am and conclude on Monday, November 18 at 5:00 p.m.

     

    Research Committee – Tammie Johnson

    Tammie Johnson reported.  The committee rescheduled its November 5 meeting, due to the volume of applications for research grants; there were 54 applications.  The committee will meet on November 15, at 11:00 am in Building 39, Room 4032, to review the recommendations for funding.  The committee hopes to have the recommendations to present to the Faculty Association before the Thanksgiving break.  The December meeting may or may not occur, depending on the results of the review and recommendations.      
     

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Pali Sen

    Pali Sen reported.   The committee met on Tuesday, November 5 at 12:15 pm in the Faculty Association conference room, with Interim Provost Earle Traynham.  The committee discussed future strategic plans for UNF.  Also, the Faculty Association president charged the Strategic Planning Advisory Committee to review the data relevant to the question of the decline in the number of First Time in College Students (FTICS) who are enrolling each fall for the last two years.  The committee did the data analysis, and the results are now available. If faculty members are interested in obtaining an electronic copy,  please e-mail the committee chair.  The next committee meeting will be on Tuesday, December 3 at 12:15 in the Faculty Association conference room.

     

    Support Services Committee - Robert Schupp

    Robert Schupp reported.  The committee met on Wednesday, November 6 at 1:00 pm in Building 42, Room 2004.  The guest speaker was Assistant Vice-President for Administration and Finance Vince Smyth, who discussed the areas of the university for which he is responsible, such as concessions.  The next meeting will be on Wednesday, December 4 in Building 42, Room 2004. 

     

    Executive Committee - Scott Hochwald

    Faculty Association Vice-President Scott Hochwald reported.  The committee met last on Tuesday, October 22 to set the agenda for today’s Faculty Association meeting.  There is one agenda item, regarding the proposed restructuring of the General Education program.  There was a meeting with the Advisory Council of Faculty Senates; at the meeting, the ten Board of Governors metrics for making SUS funding decisions were discussed:

    1. Percent of bachelor’s graduates employed and/or continuing their education further;
    2. Average wages of employed baccalaureate graduates;
    3. Cost per undergraduate degree;
    4. Six-year graduation rate (full-time and part-time FTIC);
    5. Academic progress rate (2nd-year retention with GPA above 2.0);
    6. Bachelor’s degrees awared in areas of strategic emphasis (includes STEM);
    7. University access rate (percent of undergraduates with a Pell grant);
    8. a) Master’s degrees awarded in areas of strategic emphasis (includes STEM; NCF excluded); b)  Freshmen in top 10% of graduating high school class (NCF alternative metric);
    9. Board of Governors Choice;
    10. Board of Trustees Choice.

    The next meeting will be on Tuesday, November 19 at 12:15 pm in the Faculty Association conference room.

  • SPECIAL REPORTS

    President John Delaney 

    Vice-President and Chief of Staff Tom Serwatka reported. 
    1)  The provost search committee has met twice.  The search has been extended to two years, partly because the committee wanted to have more faculty involvement in the search.  There will be two web pages involved – one for candidates and the other for faculty reactions to candidates.  The committee urges faculty members to pay attention at professional conferences to potential candidates, and to urge them to apply. The internal web site will be available by the beginning of the week of Monday, November 11.    

    2)  The administration examined the composition of the faculty of UNF, and found that we have one of the least racially diverse faculties in Florida.  Hence, the administration is making an effort to recruit minority candidates for faculty positions.  Two teams have been sent out to to national conferences to advertise open faculty positions at UNF.  Departments are urged to look at the applicant pools around the end of November to look for minority candidates.      

               

    Vice-President for Administration and Finance Shari Shuman also reported.  There was a question about the rationale for the closing of the Aquatic Center.  Last year, UNF received $3.4 million in capital improvement trust fund money (the university had been hoping for $10 million). 

     

    The first planned capital project calls for recreational basketball courts to be built.  The pool is in bad shape, and it would take about $2 million or more to renovate the facility.  The decision was made to repurpose the Aquatic Center for the recreational basketball courts; the administration is in the process of hiring an architect to do design the renovated facility.  The university has an agreement with Episcopal High School for use of their facility until UNF builds a new swimming pool. 

     

    There will be an outdoor aquatic complex built where the second phase addition of the Wellness Center was to be built.  This facility will be NCAA-usable; it will also have a diving facility.   The administration is hoping to receive more funds in next session of legislature; an architect for the new facility is currently being sought. 

     

    For student aquatic activities, in addition to the swimming pool at the Osprey Fountains, the new swimming pool and clubhouse for students at Osprey Landing will open next Fall. 

     

    There were several questions about the new aquatic facilities.  The new swimming pool will be outdoor and heated; it will also be open to faculty.  

     

    The university has also received $4 million for Skinner-Jones Hall North (Building 4).  The administration is searching for an architect for this project, which will include adding a third floor and refacing the building to look more like the rest of the campus.  Skinner-Jones Hall South (Building 3), the Science and Engineering Building, and parts of Building 14 will also have some renovation. 

     

    Another, smaller parking garage will be built near the new clubhouse, with two levels for student parking.  The third level will connect to the Fine Arts Center garage and would be available for student commuter parking. 

     

    The university is also closing on a warehouse in the East Park property north of the campus; the Physical Facilities maintenance shops will move to this building.  The current Physical Facilities site will then be available for academic use, such as Art and Design and the College of Computer Science, Engineering, and Construction Management.


    United Faculty of Florida - Janice Swenson  

    Bargain is not currently occurring.  The contract was passed.  As soon as all official signatures are affixed to the contract, the contract will be posted on the UFF web site.

               

    One question came through the Faculty Association regarding the make-up of Professional Development and Promotion and Tenure committees. The question has been presented to the bargaining committee (which is an advisory committee to the negotiating team). 

     

    The committee is looking at changes that might be beneficial to faculty.  The negotiating team is preparing for the next bargaining session, which will begin soon, since the current contract will end on June 30 of next year. 

     

    There was also an anonymous note suggesting that there was a breach of the contract by one of the university departments.  The union is investigating this issue. 

     

    Political Science & Public Administration Chair Matthew Corrigan

    Matt Corrigan, Department of Political Science and Public Administration, is the university representative for the University Press of Florida.  Faculty members are asked to present book proposals to the University Press; please also look at the web page for possible adoption of textbooks published by the University Press.  Arrangements may be made to have the editor come to campus and talk about the publishing process works.
  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES

    President Gordon Rakita received a set of anonymous questions for Dean Len Roberson about the Academic Partnerships International.  Questions were embedded and signed in the Service Agreement with Academic Partnerships International were posted under the Questions & Responses on December 5, 2013. View the questions by the link: (Attachment with Questions of Service Agreement)

     

    Question from Philosophy Department, Dr. Andrew Buchwalter, “I think the idea of diversifying the faculty is a great thing, and I think we need to do it.  And over the years in our department, Philosophy, when we’ve conducted searches, we’ve actively tried to attract minorities.  And the problem we often get is that UNF is not the only school in the country that’s also interested in minorities.  And what typically happens is that the candidates who may be among our finalists receive much better offers from other places; some are more prestigious; some are simply financially better.  Is the university committed to some special packages in the effort to attract them, and if so, is that a good idea?  What might your thoughts be on that?”

    Tom Serwatka responded:  “We do have an opportunity fund.  It’s not exclusively for minorities; that would not be legal.  Okay.  So, but, we do have an opportunity fund; so that you could go to the Provost and say, ‘Here’s a particularly great candidate, and we can’t meet the requirement.  Can you offer some additional money for us to go ahead and recruit?’ Yes, it is, but again, it’s not just for minorities.  It’s for unique candidates that would really add something to your department; and diversity is certainly one of those things that a person could add to your department.”  

     

    Question again from Philosophy Department, Dr. Andrew Buchwalter, Weren’t there some special minority lines at one time?”
    Tom Serwatka responded:  “Marti tells me, yes.  A long time ago; she tells me.  But, again, there is a system that we can use to try and address that.  We’re also looking at some other options that might look more like that, but we don’t have them in place yet.”

  • CONSENT AGENDA
    There were no consent agenda items.
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS

    Agenda Item# 1 - FA 13-41: Submitted by the Executive Committee
    Proposed Restructuring of the UNF General Education Program

    The committee chair moved the item.  Samuel Kimball addressed the item, noting that the proposal has received very strong support during many meetings in the last year.  The proposal has also received formal endorsements from the five academic deans and their leadership teams, from the undergraduate studies dean, the dean of the library, from the CAP advising leadership, from the Provost, and from the Student Government Association. The item was passed.

     

    Agenda Item# 2 - FA 13-42: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COAS (Undergraduate)-(Art and Design; Sociology, Anthropology, and Social Work): New Courses & Programs of Study (4 packages)

    Vice-President Scott Hochwald moved the item.  The item was passed.

     

    Agenda Item# 3 - FA 13-43: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    CCB (Undergraduate)-(Management): New Course (1 package)

    Vice-President Scott Hochwald moved the item.  The item was passed.

     

    Agenda Item# 4- FA 13-44: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee

    CCEC (Graduate)-(School of Engineering/Civil): New Course (1 package)

    Vice-President Scott Hochwald moved the item.  The item was passed.

  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    1. Elections of the Nominations and Elections Committee
    2. 2013-2014 Promotion and Tenure Timeline
  • ADJOURNMENT
    The meeting was adjourned at 1:08 pm.