Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Location: Schultz Hall, 9/1421

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order by President Patrick Plumlee at 12:18 p.m.
  •  

     

    • There was a motion to move first item on legislative agenda ( Agenda Item# 1 – FA 12-28:  Submitted by the Executive Committee ) to the current part of the meeting.  The motion passed.  Vice-President Jeffrey Harrison read the Resolution to honor Judy Solano on the occasion of her retirement.  The resolution was passed.
    • The gavel was then passed to incoming President Gordon Rakita.  
    • Judy Solano was presented with a plaque of appreciation from the Faculty Association for her 31 years of leadership and service.  Cindy Chin, on behalf of the Faculty Association staff, also presented Judy with a token of appreciation. 
    • Gordon presented plaques of appreciation to the outgoing officers of the Faculty Association - Melissa Bush, Secretary; Jeffrey Harrison, Vice-President; and Patrick Plumlee,  President.  Cindy Chin, on behalf of the Faculty Association staff, also presented a token of appreciation to Patrick Plumlee. 
    • President Rakita then introduced the incoming Vice-President, Scott Hochwald, incoming Secretary, James Gleaton, and incoming Parliamentarian, Georgette Dumont. 

     

  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – June 7, 2012 & No July minutes (2 minutes)
    A motion was made to approve the minutes from June 7, 2012 (as posted on the web).
    The minutes were approved. (The July 7th, 2012 Association meeting was cancelled.)
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (5 minutes)
    The 41st Fall Convocation is scheduled for Friday, September 28, at 10 a.m. in the Lazzara Performance Hall of the Fine Arts Center, with the University Picnic following the Convocation at 11:30 a.m. on the Campus Green; reminder to everyone that tickets should be purchased through departments by Tuesday, September 25.

    The Promotion & Tenure Celebration and Welcome to Newly Hired Faculty will be held Friday, October 19, from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm in the Faculty Commons.  Wine and refreshments will be served.  Those wishing to attend should RSVP to Cindy Chin by October 1.

    APC Workflow System Catalog deadline is Tuesday, October 16.  Items must be received by that date to be processed in time for inclusion in the 2013-2014 UNF Catalog.

    Faculty Association 2012-2013 Schedules are in the agenda packet, along with the University Matriculation Calendar 2012-2013.  A handout is about the Faculty Association.  Reminder:  The Faculty Association also maintains an anonymous Question Box on the Association website homepage.

    The Florida Office of Women in Higher Education Conference 2012 is open to all women in Higher Education within the state of Florida and neighboring southern states.  The conference will be held on October 12 at Stetson University in Deland, Florida.   

    There are open positions on the following committees:  1 position COAS on the Academic Programs Committee, 2 positions COEHS and At-Large on the University Appeals Committee, and 1 position CCEC on the Calendar Committee.  Contact either President Rakita or the Nominations and Elections Committee.
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)
    Academic Programs Committee – Candice Carter
    The committee chair offered a reminder that the deadline for submission of items for inclusion in the 2013-2014 catalog is October 16, and that there is a schedule for all APC deadlines on page 20 of the agenda packet.  The committee has six items on the legislative agenda, with two of the items on the consent agenda.

    Academic Standards Committee – Diana Tanner/Oliver Schnusenberg
    The committee met last on July 23, and will meet again on September 12 at 10:30 a.m.  Items on the agenda for the next meeting include continuation of some old business, including discussion of a policy to set a limit on the number of course withdrawals, and creation of a subcommittee to educate faculty on the academic misconduct policy process.  New business will include residence hours for students.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee – Peter Magyari
    The committee will meet on September 7 in Building 39A, Room 4136 at noon.  They will discuss two recent publications, one by the Delphi Project called The Changing Faculty, the other by the Center for the Future of Higher Education Policy, called Who is Professor “Staff.”   Both publications deal with the growing role of adjunct faculty in the university system.  The committee is also awaiting a report from Linda Walton on the number of adjunct faculty at UNF.

    Budget Advisory Committee – Zornitza Prodanoff/Steven Williamson
    The committee has elected a new chair, Steve Williamson, but the committee has not yet met due to schedule conflicts.

    Campus Technology Committee – Lauren Newton/Diana Tanner
    The incoming chair will be Diana Tanner.  The committee will meet on September 7 at 9 a.m. in the Coggin Room 2004.  The committee will consider a minor revision of the committee bylaws, the ITS reorganization report, Scantrons, clickers, and Turn-It-In.

    Faculty Affairs Committee – Elinor Scheirer/David Fenner
    The committee met on August 23, decided that Elinor Scheirer and David Fenner would serve as co-chairs.  The next meeting will be on September 13 in Building 57, Room 3201.  The committee will consider the role of the Campus Climate Survey, which the Faculty Affairs Committee has been administering for over 30 years, and will consider the interest expressed by other parts of the Faculty Association for either adding to the Campus Climate Survey or considering the Chronicle of Higher Education’s survey of faculty perspectives.  All faculty are invited to look at the results of the Campus Climate Survey appended to one of the agenda items last year.

    Faculty Enhancement Committee – Adel Boules/Irma Ancheta
    Georgette Dumont reported for the committee would meet on Thursday, September 13 at 3 p.m. in the Faculty Commons library.

    Nominations & Elections Committee – Guy Yehuda
    The committee met on September 5; the new chair is Steven Williamson, starting in January.  The committee discussed elections procedures.  The next meeting will be on October 10.

    Research Committee – Caroline Guardino
    The committee met on September 5.  The Provost sent announcement calling for proposals.  Research proposals are due October 12; faculty are asked to be mindful of deadline, since reviews will be done by the committee members. With regard to the proposal format, faculty are also reminded to minimize sophisticated discipline-specific terminology with which reviewers may not be familiar.  The committee will meet again on October 17, after proposals submitted; at the meeting, each proposal will be assigned to two committee members as reviewers. Faculty are notified that there are some new criteria in the proposal.  For example, if a faculty member is already funded, he/she should specify how the grant will further his/her research.  The committee has also invited Dr. Catherine Christie to be present at their next meeting to discuss the ORSP management review, to let the committee know whether and how they may help with the review.

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee- Christopher Brown/Jeremy Carter
    Jeremy Carter is the incoming co-chair, along with Ping Zhang who’s currently in maternity leave.  The primary business of the committee will be to work with the Faculty Affairs Committee to best determine a way to survey the climate of the university, either using Campus Climate Survey or part of the Great Colleges to Work For Survey from the Chronicle of Higher Education.  Jeremy will be attending the next Faculty Affairs Committee meeting on September 13 to make sure there is not duplication of efforts by the two committees.

    Support Services Committee – Alan Harris/Alice Eng
    The next meeting of the committee will be September 17 in the Library.

    Executive Committee – Jeffrey Harrison/Scott Hochwald
    Jeffrey thanked all committee members and reminded Scott Hochwald will begin his term the next month.  The next meeting will be the annual Kick-Off Luncheon Meeting on Tuesday, September 18 at 11:30 am in the Faculty Commons.
  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)

    President John Delaney 
    Due to the conflict with Board’s meeting, President Delaney was absent and presented no report.

    Academic Affairs Provost & Vice President – Mark Workman
    The Provost offered thanks to outgoing FA President Patrick Plumlee for his years of service, and remarked that the FA President sits on the Council of Deans, and would be meeting regularly with the Academic Affairs leadership, including one-on-one meetings with the Provost.  He reminded faculty about the Fall Convocation, and exhorted members to attend.  He then discussed changes in governance of higher education in Florida, which is shifting rapidly, requiring the university to be institutionally nimble and quick, to adjust to the changes.  He mentioned two examples of such changes:

    1. The Council of Academic Vice-Presidents has been charged with the responsibility for monitoring warranted and unwarranted program duplication across the state, reviewing all programs offered by SUS institutions, using a number of metrics, such as number of program majors.  Most of the concern is with duplication at the Ph.D. level, rather than the baccalaureate or masters level.  This issue is made more complex by availability of online learning.  
    2. General Education requirements for students are being revised downward from 36 credits to 30 credits, moving in a direction that possibly not wise.  He believes that the motivation for this is to increase student mobility across system.  This change will require significant faculty involvement, entailing changes in course requirements and redeployment of faculty to meet the new requirements.  He is on the statewide steering committee to deal with this, and there will also be representatives from the university on the subdisciplinary committees.
    The study commissioned last spring to review the ORSP by the Society for Research Administrators produced a full set of recommendations.  A task force has been created, chaired by Cathy Christie, to make recommendations to the Provost regarding the implementation or non-implementation of the study’s recommendations.  Alexandra Schonning, a member of the Faculty Association Research Committee, is a member of the taskforce.

     

    He mentioned that Marianne Jaffee will send a summary at the end of this week about all of the summer grant opportunities available to faculty.

    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen
    Currently, there is little legislative activity to report, due to the presidential election.  State general revenue is relatively flat; waiting to see whether there will be a cut in funds to higher education.  There are no PICO funds available for next year for construction. 
    The state employee health trust fund will not have a deficit for another year or two.
    On Friday, September 7, the Supreme Court hears the pension suit.  If the decision goes in favor of the employees, it could mean $1.6 billion back to employees. 
    Student leaders have decided to do an initiative called AIM Higher, to try to convince legislators to make higher education a priority in funding.  The students plan to use Facebook and YouTube videos to promote this initiative.
    Next week, the Board of Governors meet to approve the legislative budget request for higher education, possibly enabling avoidance of a tuition increase.

    United Faculty of Florida – Cheryl Frohlich
    The union has elected a new board; Cheryl is the only continuing member of board.  Refer to UFF website for issues involving the state or other institutions.
    There is now someone designated to handle grievances – Dominik Guess from the Psychology Department.  Currently there have been three grievances filed relating to evaluations; some of these may not go all the way through the grievance process, since there some are still in negotiation between the administration and the individual member.  Also there has been one grievance filed on a letter of reprimand, and one grievance on a counseling memorandum. 
    The issue of providing courses solely online has been raised in bargaining, but not yet addressed:

    1. a question arose about on-campus office hours for those who are teaching all courses online; the issue is still being discussed;
    2. ownership of class material for online courses is also being discussed.
    There will be a bargaining session on September 7.  The union submitted a number of articles in February; these have not yet been addressed.  Current emphasis in negotiation is on Article 18, which deals with faculty evaluation; a reply from the administration on this issue is expected.  With regard to summer teaching, a first course is guaranteed (UNF is the only school in Florida for which this is true).  Cheryl reported that President Delany said we will keep the guarantee, and the issue will be discussed later if it becomes necessary for financial reasons. 

     

  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)
    President Rakita noted that responses to questions are posted on the Association website and included in the agenda package.

    Written question from George Candler for the Provost:
    Apparently when we do summer budgets, we allocate x dollars to pay for faculty to teach summer classes.  These classes then generate tuition revenue, which I'll call y.  The problem seems to be that y and x do not interact. To take the graduate program I teach in (the MPA): we average 20+ students for our classes. To put me in front of that class will have a marginal cost of maybe $10k, at 12.5% of my salary, plus retirement contribution (no extra health costs are incurred), and a bit of electricity. Yet with 20 graduate students at tuition of $1272 each, the marginal revenue generated by this class is over $25k. We only offered three MPA classes this summer due to budget constraints, rather than our usual four. I've no doubt (student numbers are healthy) that we left $15k (revenue of $25k - cost of $10k) on the table. If the revenue side of the equation was added to the cost, we would be able to make less harmful decisions about how many classes we can 'afford' to offer.
    Provost Workman said that he will ask Associate Provost Bobby Waldrup to provide a written response to this question.
  • CONSENT AGENDA

    FA President Rakita moved consent agenda items FA12-31 and FA12-33 for approval.  Both items were seconded and passed.


    Agenda Item# 4 - FA 12-31:  Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COAS (Undergraduate) - (Psychology):  Add a new course, EXP4XXXC – Human Factors and Ergonomics; and terminate an existing minor in Behavioral Medicine, which has not been offered in over 5 years.

    Agenda Item# 6 - Fa12-33:  Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COEHS (Undergraduate) – (Foundations & Secondary Education):  Course Changes (1 package)

  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list) (20 minutes to act immediately on or remove item)
    Agenda Item# 1 - FA 12-28:  Submitted by the Executive Committee
    Resolution – Dr. Judith Solano
    This item had been moved to the beginning of the agenda and was passed.

    Agenda Item# 2 – FA 12-29: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    Faculty Association Bylaws Amendment: First Reading
    Academic Programs Committee Membership Changes Proposal

    Academic Programs Committee membership changes proposal to eliminate the requirement of student membership, since their attendances had not been occurring.
    The APC chair moved the item, and it was seconded.  Since this was a first reading, it will be discussed and voted on at the next meeting.

    Agenda Item# 3 – FA 12-30:  Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COAS (Undergraduate)-(Sociology & Anthropology):
    New Degree Program Proposal for a Bachelor of Social Work – Social Work Major

    The APC chair moved the item, and it was seconded.  The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 5 – FA 12-32:  Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    CCEC (Undergraduate)-(Construction Management & School of Computing): Add New Minor, Terminate & Change of Programs of Studies (3 packages)
    Addition of a Construction Management Minor and termination of the Leadership Development Certificate.  The APC chair moved the item, and it was seconded.   The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 7 – FA 12-34:  Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COEHS (Graduate) – (Leadership, School Counseling, & Sport Management): Add New Certificate & Change of Programs of Studies (2 packages)
    The APC chair moved the item, and it was seconded.  The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 8 – FA 12-35:  Submitted by the Academic Standards Committee
    Academic Standing Policy
    Proposal by the committee to change the Academic Standing Policy to remove the minimum cumulative semester hours a student must have attempted in order to be flagged for probation; the change is to be effective in Fall 2013.
    The committee chair moved the item, and it was seconded.  The item passed.
  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    1. ORSP Enhancement Task Force 
    2. Privacy Rights: How Faculty Can Navigate the FERPA Maze 
    3. Faculty Association 2012-2013 Schedule 
    4. Academic P rograms Committee 2012-2013 Schedule 
    5. University Matriculation Calendar 2012-2013
      (Not included in packet, please click on the link or check on FA website under Schedule)
  • ADJOURNMENT
    The meeting adjourned at 1:08 p.m.