Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Location: Schultz Hall, 9/1421

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 12:16 p.m. by FA President, Patrick Plumlee.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – September 1, 2011 (2 minutes)
    A motion was made by Judy Solano to approve the minutes from September 1, 2011 (as posted on the web).  The minutes were approved.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (5 minutes)
    Pierre Allaire, Vice President of Institutional Advancement, introduced Hugh Jones.

    From Hugh Jones, Founder of Caring Awards:
    The Caring Award is an award for a student whose volunteer activities reflect unselfish, unconditional caring, and giving to others.  The Caring Fellowship is a 10-12 week paid internship in Washington D.C. working with the Heart of America.  Focusing on literacy, the group plans to rebuild 45 public elementary school libraries across the nation. Target Stores and Capital One are the major sponsors.  The Caring Award winner will receive a unique and special bronze statue designed by the late Frank Eliscu. The winners of these awards come from faculty nominations.  Applications should be submitted as soon as possible.  Last year’s fellowship award winner, Derrick Davis spoke of his experiences and encouraged faculty to submit their nominations.

    From Jeanne Middleton, Office of Parent and Family Programs:
    The annual Family Weekend is scheduled for October 14-16.  Plenty of activities have been planned including a reception at the Boathouse for parents & faculty on Friday, October 14th and a family picnic and jazz concert on Saturday, October 15th.  All faculty are encouraged to attend.  If you have any questions about this event, feel free to email Jeanne at parents@unf.edu.

    Outstanding Undergraduate and Graduate Teaching Awards nominations are currently being  accepted. The nominations deadline is on Friday, October 14 at 5 p.m.

    APC Workflow Online System for 2012-2013 Catalog Deadline is on Tuesday, October 18 @ 5 p.m.

    Wine and Refreshments Party for both new and P&T faculty will be held on Friday, October 14 from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. in the Faculty Commons.

    Important 2012-2013 dates for Faculty are posted under the FA website Hotline

    SkillSoft e-Learning information is included in the packet.

    Student Union Brochure is attached.

    Volunteers are needed for the following committees:
    • Budget Advisory Committee - At-Large vacancy (two-year term) (9/13) 
    • Strategic Planning Advisory - COAS vacancy (remainder term) (9/12) 
    • University Technology Committee – At-Large vacancy (remainder term) (9/12) 
    Dr. Marsha Lupi from COEHS reported on the success of their recent accreditation visit. She wanted to congratulate and thank all of the chairs & faculty and the Academic Affairs partners that were involved with this process.

    Patrick Plumlee offered apologies for the confusion created during the question & answer period at the September 1st FA meeting.  To avoid similar situations in the future, he shared some guidelines on how he intends this segment of the meeting to be conducted.  The Question & Answer period provides valuable information and faculty should make the most of the opportunity to pose questions about any aspect of the functioning of the university.  Faculty, however, should conduct themselves in a civil manner and not use the question period as a platform to launch attacks. Patrick indicated that he does not intend to pre-judge or pre-screen questions from the floor, but may make minor modifications to written questions that are submitted in advance.  When asking questions from the floor, FA members should first ask to be recognized, and then ask the question.  If the question asked is in some way problematic a point of order may be recognized.  Another issue of concern is the difference between questions and statements.  Statements that are part of the framework or the context leading up to a question are admissible, but declarations of opinion or attack on others is not acceptable. Questions that require complex responses or fact-finding, or can’t be answered in a relatively short time frame, may be responded to in writing.  Responses that are provided in writing will be included in the agenda of a future meeting.  Normally, responses will be posted as received without editing, modification, or comment.
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)

    Academic Programs Committee - Candice Carter
    The Committee met today and was unable to complete the discussions of the many submitted APC items. They are committed to completing these reviews at their next meetings (two in October and one in November). The Committee has three agenda items today.

    Academic Standards Committee - Diane Tanner
    The Committee met September 16th.  They have one agenda item today. The next meeting is scheduled for October 13th at 3 p.m. where they will be discussing undergraduate course validation policy and student active and inactive statuses.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee – Peter Magyari
    The Committee met in September where they elected new officers and reviewed last year’s activities. They decided to move forward with the adjunct salary issues discussed last year and plan on drafting a resolution to be presented at the next Executive Committee meeting.  The next meeting is October 28th at 11 a.m. in 39/4136.

    Budget Advisory Committee - Kathy Robinson
    No report.


    Campus Technology Committee - Lauren Newton
    The Committee met September 14th where Judy Miller attended and made a presentation on the use of e-portfolio software currently being used by the Venture Studies program.  They also discussed the planned technology upgrades for the Matthews Building Network Operation Center.   The next meeting is October 26th at 2 p.m. in the Library Conference Room.

    Faculty Affairs Committee – Elinor Scheirer
    The Committee met September 8th.  They hope to be able to integrate the upcoming  Campus Climate Survey with newer campus technology so as to avoid the long delay in collating the responses that we experienced in the last climate survey.  Kathy Robinson is working on this and faculty should expect to see it in their inbox soon so that they can respond between October 14th-28th.  The next meeting is scheduled for October 13th at 12:30 p.m. in 57/3201.

    Faculty Enhancement Committee - Adel Boules
    The Committee met September 15th and discussed the logistics of the next round of summer teaching grants.  The next meeting is October 20th at 12:15 p.m. in 10/1106.

    Nominations & Elections Committee – Lian Ann
    The Committee has one information item today pertaining to nominations for the Nominations and Elections Committee.  Nominations will be accepted through Thursday, October 27th at 5:00 p.m. as well as from the floor at November’s FA meeting.

    Research Committee - Caroline Guardino
    No report.

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Pingying Zhang
    The Committee met October 5th and plan to meet each month on Wednesdays.  The next meeting is scheduled for November 2 where they plan to discuss a number of issues.

    Support Services Committee – Alan Harris
    The Committee met on September 8th to review last year’s activity. Their next meeting is Tuesday October 11th at 10:00 a.m. in Bldg 50/Rm 3300.  Dan Richard will be meeting with them to give updates from the Office of Faculty Enhancement.

    Executive Committee – Jeffrey Harrison
    The Committee met on September 20th to set the agenda for this meeting.  The next meeting is on Tuesday, 10/18 at 12:15 p.m. in the Faculty Commons, Honors Hall, Bldg 10, Rm 1102.  On Friday, October 7th Jeff Harrison, Patrick Plumlee, and Judy Solano who serve on the Advisory Council of the Faculty Senates will be attending a meeting to discuss Florida’s response to The Texas Breakthrough Solutions on Higher Education.

  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)
    President John Delaney
    President Delaney is attending a luncheon.

    Academic Affairs Provost & Vice President Mark Workman
    The BOG has been intensely engaged in a number of issues including the creation of new dental schools at USF-Polytechnic as well as new medical school proposals from UCF and FAMU and for UF to expand its medical school. A copy of the “Texas Breakthrough Solutions” and the prepared response from FSU’s President Eric Barron has been emailed to the chairs and deans in which faculty may request a copy. We should take the Texas Breakthrough Solutions very seriously and realize its implications.  The Chancellor has asked President Delaney to chair a Presidential Taskforce to prepare a system wide response to the Breakthrough Solutions.
    As you know, UNF is moving towards the mandatory housing policy for first time in college freshmen.  Research shows that students living in housing are much more successful both academically and socially and tend to stay in school.  Please be enthusiastic about this when speaking to students.  Of note, students with financial issues will be able to apply for waivers and scholarships.  Jeff Coker wrote a very interesting article in the Spinnaker on the virtues of mandatory housing.  Birthday wishes were given to David Jaffee.  Congratulations to COEHS for their efforts in their accreditation review. The deadline for Development Grant applications is October 28th. The deadline for sabbatical applications is October 10th.  Faculty are encouraged to come out and hear Greg Ahearn’s Presidential Lecture on Aquaculture this coming Monday.

    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen
    Janet met this week at the Senate Higher Ed Appropriations Committee meeting in Tallahassee, during which the Chancellor made a presentation on the budget request for the universities.  Budget committees are starting to meet and are getting outlook statements on what’s happening and it will look bad starting with a $1.5 billion deficit to $2.5 billion deficit. As they come up with the projected shortfall there are certain financial figures that are assumed so these numbers are a bit slushy. Presentations are currently being made about what we want out of the legislature.  The system is asking for $91million dollars to support research and STEM initiatives.  $63 million is requested for help with access and graduation & retention rates.  UNF is requesting $18 million for plant operation and maintenance and $283 million for major gift matching.  The focus on the Texas Breakthrough Solutions should be centered on which Higher Ed reforms need to happen in Florida.  Please share any ideas with President Delaney who will be having dinner with the Governor to discuss these. The PECO outlook was evaluated on Monday and all of the cash has been zeroed out.  The head of the Budget Committee for the Senate has vowed his commitment towards finding a recurring fund source to at least cover building maintenance & utilities.  Janet will continue to keep us updated on these matters.

    United Faculty of Florida – Cheryl Frohlich
    UFF is in the process of setting up a Grievance Committee headed up by Phil Riner whereby faculty can be informed of arising issues.  Non-members of UFF are welcome to attend but won’t have a vote.  Recently, there have been two grievance issues that have been dealt with (an evaluation grievance and a minority salary grievance).  A Bargaining Committee is being established in which Instructors, Lecturers, and tenured and non-tenured faculty are encouraged to get involved.  John Hatle is forming a Membership Committee.  The state union has entered into a lawsuit with the state of Florida stating that they had no right to take away the 3% raises that were awarded in January.  It is anticipated that this lawsuit will go through a series of courts in an attempt to get the raises back.
  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)
    A written question from Pali Sen addressed to Vice President Mark Workman:
    Currently the passing rate for a course is calculated based on the number of students who get a C or above out of the total number of students remaining in the class after the add/drop date.  The calculation includes the students who have withdrawn from the class within the University approved withdrawal deadlines.  Is this practice justified?  Students who withdraw appear to be unprepared and why should they be therefore counted at the end of the class?  Can a department opt out from the withdrawal option for its classes?
    Provost Workman will respond in writing

    Judy Solano to Mark Workman:
    Can we get a copy of Dr. Workman’s email in reference to the Texas Breakthrough Solutions and Eric Barron’s response posted to the FA website rather than relying on it to be distributed through the deans?
    Provost Workman: Yes, I will send a copy to Patrick Plumlee.
  • CONSENT AGENDA
    No item.
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list) (20 minutes to act immediately on or remove item)

    Agenda Item# 1- FA 11-45: Submitted by the Executive Committee
    University Matriculation Calendar 2012-2013
    Jeff Harrison moved the item.  No discussion.  The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 2- FA 11-46: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    Coggin College of Business (Graduate)
    Management- programs of study changes (1 package)

     

    Candice Carter moved the item.  No discussion.  The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 3- FA 11-47: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    College of Computing, Engineering, and Construction (Graduate)
    School of Computing – course change (1 package)School of Engineering/Civil – new course & programs of study changes (2 packages)


    Candice Carter moved the item.
    Alexandra Schonning wanted to make three friendly amendments to Log # 201008-76: (1) change the prerequisite from none to Graduate Standing in Engineering, (2) it should be a 6000 level course rather than a 5000 level, and (3) it does affect other programs.
    Ellie Scheirer made a motion to defer this item back to APC for reconsideration. The motion was seconded.
    Candice refuted that this item is over one year old and these are all friendly amendment changes which everyone in that particular college already knows about.  The motion to defer back to the APC Committee was denied.  Candice accepted the friendly amendments.  No additional discussion.
    The Log# 201008-76 item with the proposed friendly amendments passed.

    Agenda Item# 4- FA 11-48: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    Faculty Association Bylaws Amendment: First Reading
    Academic Programs Committee membership Changes Proposal


    Candice Carter moved the item and indicated that additional representation is needed for Several colleges that are currently under represented. This item will appear at the nextmeeting.

    Agenda Item# 5- FA 11-49: Submitted by the Academic Standards Committee
    Academic Integrity Code and Academic Misconduct Policy
    Diane Tanner moved the item.  No discussion.  The item passed.

  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    Nominations for the Nominations and Elections Committee
  • ADJOURNMENT
    A motion for adjournment was made.  The meeting adjourned at 1:16 p.m.