Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, September 1, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Location: Schultz Hall, 9/1421

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 12:17 p.m. by FA President, Patrick Plumlee.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – July 7, 2011 (2 minutes)
    A motion was made by Judy Solano to approve the minutes from July 7, 2011 (as posted on the web). The minutes were approved.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (5 minutes)
    - 40th Fall Convocation is tomorrow Friday, September 2, at 10 a.m. in the Lazzara Hall.  The University Picnic will follow at 11:30 a.m.

    - Promotion & Tenure Celebration & Welcome Newly Hired Faculty Party will both be taking place on Friday, October 14 from 3:00-5:30 p.m. in the Faculty Commons. Wine and delicious refreshments will be served.  Please RSVP Cindy no later than Monday, 9/26 .

    - APC Catalog Deadline on Tuesday, October 18 before 5 p.m.

    - Faculty Association 2011-2012 Schedules

    - University matriculation Calendar 2011-2012 (on FA website)

    - Volunteers are needed for the following committees:
    • Strategic Planning Advisory – (9/12) – COAS vacancy (remainder term) 
    • University Technology Committee – (9/12) – At-Large vacancy (remainder term) 
    • *UNF Campus Safety Advisory Council – (N/A) Chair vacancy (FA President/Designee w/ UNF President Approval) 
    • Newly added Commission on Diversity - At-Large (1-year term
    - The 2011-2012 Standing and University Committee Directories are posted under the Faculty    Association website – Hotline page and Committee pages

    - CIRT & Office of Faculty Enhancement: List of services attached

    - Handout about the Faculty Association attached

    - “Time to Make Professors Teach” from Governor Rick Scott posted on the Hotline

    - Faculty Association President Question/Comment Box located on the Home Page
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)
    Academic Programs Committee - Candice Carter
    The Committee met today.  They have 6 agenda items for today’s meeting (five of which are on the consent agenda). These agenda items include: one item from COAS (a course termination, a course addition, an addition of a new minor, a change to a degree major and a change to an existing minor), one from CCEC (several changes to a degree major concentration of existing programs) one from COEHS-Graduate (a change to a degree major concentration and an addition of a new course), two from BCH –Undergraduate & Graduate (an addition of a new degree, a change to the degree major of an existing program, and the termination of an existing degree), and one from CCB (a change to the degree major of an existing program).  Candice also reminded faculty that meeting the APC catalog deadline is a guarantee for inclusion in the catalog.  Shawn Brayton shared that every APC item from last year made it into the catalog.

    Academic Standards Committee - Lisa Jamba for Diane Tanner
    The Committee met August 26th where they reelected Diane to continue as chair. They already have a full agenda through the end of the semester.  At their last meeting, they reviewed the Academic Misconduct Reporting form to ensure it matches the policy. The next meeting is scheduled for September 16th from 12:00-1:30 p.m. in a location TBD.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee –Ronald Lukens-Bull
    Peter Magyari is likely the incoming chair.  It has been agreed to but not yet formally voted upon in a quorum.

    Budget Advisory Committee - Lynn Jones
    The Committee met August 31st.  They elected Kathy Robinson to be the next chair.  The next meeting is TBD and will resume their business at that time.

    Campus Technology Committee - Cynthia Jordan & Lauren Newton
    The Committee last met on June 8th. Lauren Newton was voted in as new chair. No meeting schedule has been established yet, but it is anticipated that the next meeting should take place sometime in September.

    Faculty Affairs Committee –Jennifer Kane for Elinor Scheirer
    The Committee last met on June 9th. Elinor will again serve as chair. The next meeting is September 8th at 12:15 p.m. in 57/3201.

    Faculty Enhancement Committee - Adel Boules
    The Committee will be meeting September 15th at 12:15 p.m. in 10/1106.

    Nominations & Elections Committee – Lian An
    This Committee will become active sometime in October.

    Research Committee - Caroline Guardino
    The Committee met last Tuesday. Caroline Guardino will continue serving as chair. They reviewed the activities from last year.  They have petitioned Academic Affairs to have two funding cycles in an effort to try and increase the number of quality proposals that are funded.  The next meeting will be September 23rd at 1:30 p.m. where Marianne Jaffe and any other interested parties are invited.

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee - Chris Brown
    Patrick read a note from Chris Brown that the next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, September 7th at noon in 50/2500.

    Support Services Committee – Susan Syverud
    The Committee did not meet in June or July. Alan Harris has volunteered to serve as new chair. The first meeting is September 8th at 9:00 am in 50/3300.

    Executive Committee – Jeffrey Harrison
    The Committee met on August 16 to set the agenda for today’s meeting. The next Executive Committee meeting will be the Kickoff Luncheon on September 20th at 11:30 a.m. in the Faculty Commons.
  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)
    President John Delaney
    No report.

    Academic Affairs Provost & Vice President Mark Workman
    Academic Affairs has added two new Associate Provosts: Newton Jackson and Bobby Waldrup.
    Jeff Coker was introduced as new Dean of Undergraduate Studies.  Mark Tumeo was introduced as new Dean of Computing, Engineering, & Construction.  Asai Asaithambi is new Director for the School of Computing.  A number of new chairs will be starting:  Krista Paulsen, Mike Francis, Dave Jaeger, Andrés Gallo, Judy Rodriguez, Jennifer Kane, and Jeff Harrison.  Lynn Jones and Bruce Kavan were congratulated for their new appointment as associate deans of the Coggin College of Business.  There were 38 new faculty hires for tenure track positions with great attendance at the New Faculty Orientation which extended over several days.  Dan Richard and Marianne Jaffee were thanked for their efforts in assisting the needs of the new faculty.
    All faculty members are encouraged to attend the Fall Convocation to hear the President’s State of the University Address and to support the other faculty being represented.
    One final note on increasing the number of faculty awards: Academic Affairs has worked very hard at maintaining the same number of awards for faculty grants in teaching, research, and proposal development as in preceding years.  It is not likely that they will be able to revisit this mid-year unless additional resources become available.

    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen
    September means that the State Legislature will be convening to hear presentations on the budget and legislative ideas.  Our state constitution requires that every fall the three-year projected revenue/spending outlook be evaluated.  For the first time in five years, all three years are positive and there are no major cuts that are projected.  Based on the revenue estimates and the projections at this time they can fund enrollment, Medicaid should be solvent, they should be able to put a billion in reserves and have approximately 300 million left over.  This is encouraging news. 
    The BOG will be meeting in September where they will be talking about dental schools at UCF, FAMU, and UF and whether or not USF Polytechnic should split in Lakeland and not be a part of USF.  Decisions on this should take place sometime in November.
    The message for 2012 is that the state Universities are still considered key to the economic health and future of the state.  However, it is going to be an uphill battle to try and acquire much needed building and construction money to continue growth.  STEM projects will continue to be a big focus.  Three new local trustees have just been appointed, two of which have UNF ties.

    United Faculty of Florida - Cheryl Frohlich
    There have been several changes in the executive roles of UFF.  Lynn Jones who was the Vice President has just accepted the Associate Dean role in CCB.  Dale Casamatta the elected President decided to step down due to time constraints.  Cheryl was appointed to Vice-President when Lynn stepped down and then as Dale stepped down was promoted to the President.  These processes all occurred in accordance with the bylaws. 
    At a recent bargaining session with Leonard Carson, the Chief Negotiator for the University, it was pointed out that the mandatory 3% employee contribution may not be a legal step for the state to take and thus, could be appealed.  UFF is pursuing this at the state level to appeal it through the court system but is expected to take some time. 
    Increasing UFF membership is vital. It has been growing but more faculty membership is needed.  Better communication is needed to keep faculty abreast of what’s going on. To improve upon this, UFF is currently in the process of creating a communication committee. Two additional committees are also being created including a grievance committee (to handle issues that may come up more rapidly) and a bargaining committee.  Any faculty members who want to be a part of any of these committees should contact Cheryl.  If any faculty member has an issue that needs to be addressed, please forward it to UFF.  Two issues have already come up and are being dealt with (i.e. some chairs and deans were unaware of the evaluation differences of tenure track faculty vs. non-tenure track faculty).  There are currently only two members on the bargaining committee so more members are needed.
    A newsletter has been created but not printed off yet to explain how to deal with issues and grievances that arise.  Any issues that come up will be reported in this newsletter in a general way. The Administration indicated that they want to be involved very early in the grievance process.  Two recent grievance issues have come up and one has already been solved.
  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)
    Carol Ledbetter submitted a written document containing a series of statements, comments, and a few questions pertaining to the activities of UFF.  She first applauded the efforts of UFF in creating a communication committee and then summarized the content of her written document. During her commentary, Cynthia Jordan raised a point of order that there were no questions being asked.
    The exact content of these statements & questions will be forwarded to Cheryl Frolich, President of UFF.

    Kathy Robinson asked about the outcome of the Safety Advisory Committee survey that was conducted last year with regards to the safety issues surrounding non-motorized vehicles.
    Patrick Plumlee:  The Safety Advisory Committee is currently without a chair, so I am working on that. That may be the reason why there hasn’t been a response.

    Mary Borg to the APC committee: Does the October 18th APC catalog deadline require all of the signatures (i.e. chair, dean, etc.) to be obtained?
    Shawn Brayton: Everything goes through real fast now.

    Patrick Plumlee read an anonymous question submitted in writing. 
    The spaces in Lot 9 closed for construction early in the summer. Campus Update announced that the construction zone would be reduced in size before the start of the fall semester returning some number of designated spaces to Lot 9. This does not appear to have happened.  An inquiry to Parking Services yielded the response that the designated spaces lost to the Lot 9 construction have not been redistributed elsewhere around campus.  Doesn’t this mean that those who purchased designated permits face a higher ratio of permits to spaces than announced when we initially purchased our permits?
    Shari Shuman: I will respond in writing when I get those exact numbers. When we first did the ratios we already anticipated losing those spaces. We do that before we offer the permits for sale, but I will get you the before and after numbers.  The construction has been an issue with regards to that.  There are no more premium spots over in that area and have all been converted into designated spaces.
  • CONSENT AGENDA
    FA President Plumlee presented the consent agenda items # FA 11-39, FA 11-40, FA 11-41, FA 11-42, & FA 11-43 for approval.
    Scott Hochwald made a motion to approve the consent agenda.  No discussion.  The motion passed.

    Agenda Item# 1 - FA 11-39: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    College of Arts and Sciences (Undergraduate)
    (Chemistry, English, Sociology & Anthropology): New Courses, Course & Programs Changes (5 packages)

    Agenda Item# 2 - FA 11-40: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    College of Computing, Engineering, and Construction (Undergraduate)
    (School of Computing): Programs Changes (4 packages)

    Agenda Item# 3 - FA 11-41: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    College of Education and Human Services (Graduate)
    (Foundations & Secondary Education): New Course & Programs Changes (1 package)

    Agenda Item# 4- FA 11-42: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    Brooks College of Health (Undergraduate)
    (Nutrition & Dietetics): Programs Changes (2 packages)

    Agenda Item# 5 - FA 11-43: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    Brooks College of Health (Graduate)
    (Public Health):  Programs Changes (1 package)
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list) (20 minutes to act immediately on or remove item)
    Agenda Item# 6 - FA 11-44: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    Coggin College of Business (Undergraduate)
    (Economics & Geography): Program change (1 package)

    Candice clarified why this item was pulled out of the consent agenda. Mary Borg explained the rationale behind the new requirement. Candice moved the item. No additional discussion.  The item was approved.
  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    1. 2011-2012 Faculty Association Schedule
    2. 2011-2012 Academic Program Committee Schedule 
    3. 2011-2012 University Matriculation Calendar 
      (Not included in the packet, click on the link) 
    4. Directory of 2011-2012 Standing Committees 
    5. Directory of 2011-2012 University Committees
  • ADJOURNMENT
    A motion for adjournment was made.  The meeting was adjourned at 1:11 p.m.