Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, June 7, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Location: Schultz Hall, 9/1421

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 12:46 p.m. by FA President, Patrick Plumlee.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – May 10, 2012 (2 minutes)
    A motion was made by Gordon Rakita to approve the minutes from May 10, 2012 (as posted on the Web).  The minutes were approved.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (5 minutes)
    The Executive Committee has cancelled the July 5 Faculty Association due to a potential of not meeting quorum and no Association business.
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)
    Academic Programs Committee –Candice Carter
    The Committee has three agenda items today: one from CCB (Undergraduate), one from COEHS (Undergraduate), and one from BCH (Undergraduate).  The Committee plans to test out changes to the Workflow System over the summer in order to make it work more efficiently. The next meeting will be September 6.  Note that Candice will be working in Columbia for the rest of the summer and will not be able to answer any voicemails.

    Academic Standards Committee – Diane Tanner
    The Committee met May 23 and is currently in the process of arranging a time for a June meeting.  The Committee discussed two items: setting up a subcommittee to educate faculty on the academic misconduct policy process and placing a limitation on the number of course withdrawals.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee –Peter Magyari
    The Committee will not be meeting this summer.  Peter will send out a Doodle poll to committee members to determine when to hold the next meeting.

    Budget Advisory Committee – Zornitza Prodanoff
    The Committee is not meeting over the summer and will meet again in August.

    Campus Technology Committee – Lauren Newton
    The Committee will not be meeting over the summer and will meet again in August.

    Faculty Affairs Committee – Elinor Scheirer
    The Committee will meet June 22 at 10:00 a.m. in 57/3201, deliberately planned one day after the BOG meeting so that the committee can discuss the outcomes from it.

    Faculty Enhancement Committee –Adel Boules
    No update.

    Nominations & Elections Committee –Guy Yehuda
    No update.

    Research Committee –Patrick Plumlee for Caroline Guardino (read a written report)
    By majority vote, Caroline will be serving as chair for the 2012-2013 AY.  The fall meeting schedule has not yet been developed.

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee – Chris Brown
    No update.

    Support Services Committee – Alan Harris
    No update.

    Executive Committee – Jeffrey Harrison
    The Committee met May 22 to set the agenda for this meeting.  No Executive Committee meeting is required in June due to the cancelled July FA meeting.  Good news:  Kathy Robinson was recently elected Vice-Chair for The Advisory Council of Faculty Senates. Historically the
    Vice-Chair ultimately moves up to Chair who also serves on the Board of Governors.  Patrick Plumlee, Jeff Harrison, and Judy Solano received a copy of UNF’s 2012-2013 Work Plan which will be voted on at the June 21 BOG meeting.
  • ECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)
    President John Delaney
    No report.

    Academic Affairs Provost & Vice President Mark Workman
    No report.

    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen
    No report.

    United Faculty of Florida – Cheryl Frohlich
    A bargaining meeting was held today with additional meetings coming next week.  Details of these sessions will be forthcoming and pertain to summer employment pay issues, etc. The University is currently under additional financial strain from the state to limit the amount of additional summer pay which has prompted a summer article for discussion.  One grievance has come to termination which was determined against UFF.  Additional issues have been discussed which will hopefully move forward.
  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)
    Written question from Kathleen Delaney, Senior Student Government Advisor. 
    I’m writing with a request for information on the use of scantrons by faculty members for tests and exams.  As you may know, Student Government gives out free scantrons to the student body and at present, there are five different scantrons being used: red, green, brown, red, and blue.  I was wondering if individual faculty members determine which scantrons are used, or if it is up to each Department or the Faculty Association.
    Lynn Jones: I believe it is a function of the hardware being used.Patrick will communicate with Kathleen that it is a faculty decision based on the scanning technology used by the  faculty member.  At Jeff Harrison’s request this question will also be forwarded to the Faculty Association Campus Technology Committee.

    Two related written anonymous questions for Jeff Coker regarding the mandate for freshman to live on campus.
    To justify incoming freshman living on campus, UNF is citing data claiming that freshman who live on campus do better than those who do not. While I do not dispute that such may be true average, I doubt that such data exists for schools such as UNF that are public, located in a suburban area of a large city, and have a freshman profile such as ours. That is, it makes no sense to compare us to Princeton, Stetson, Iowa, or Wayne State, just to name a few schools that differ from UNF. In addition, I question whether such studies are prospective or prove causality. That is, would a particular freshman's performance really be improved by living on campus? Or are there
    self-selection biases that explain the differences in performance?

    Are you aware of the UC Irvine study based on 2005 freshman stating:For most of the variables in this study, there were no discernable differences between those who lived on campus their first year (residents) and those who commuted to campus (commuters).  They were similar in terms of gender, ethnicity, average SAT scores, most college goals, self-reported academic gains, and quarterly and cumulative GPAs in the first year.
    These questions will be forwarded to Jeff Coker.

    A question from Zornitza Prodanoff for the President’s Office
    I’ve been made aware that we have homeless students living out of their cars.  How many students are in this situation and what is being done about it? 
    Candice Carter indicated that she has some homeless students who live in Wal-mart due to the ease of restroom access. 
    Terry Cavanaugh also has a homeless student.
    Elinor Scheirer who sits on the Campus Safety Advisory Council.
    The Council has agreed to close down restrooms at UNF after a certain time for safety purposes and to prevent homeless people from using them.
    Cheryl Frolich: Isn’t there some sort of minimal living accommodations that can be offered to these homeless students?
    Jeffrey Cornett: SOS, Tom Serwatka, and the Ombudsman constantly deal with these issues once they have been aware of it. These students should seek out these offices.
    Jeff Harrison read an excerpt from the UNF Work Plan about a portion of the proposed tuition differential increase being allocated for charity or student aid and wondered if these funds could be used to assist the homeless students.
    Judy Solano:  He is referring to the 30 percent of the tuition differential that must go to student financial aid.  Students seeking such support must go through the Financial Aid office to qualify.
    These questions will go to the President’s office.


    Terry Cavanaugh:  Why wasn’t anyone surveyed about the switch from Coke to Pepsi? 
    Len Roberson: It was strictly a financial decision that had to do with the amount of financial gain back to the University, and there was a significant difference between the proposals by the vendors.

    A question from James Sorce for the President’s Office:
    What can be done about the large population of geese on campus?
    Marsha Lupi: Just yesterday I counted 65 geese walking from the fields to the pond.  They were all coming right towards me, which was pretty scary.
    This question will be sent to the President’s office
     
  • CONSENT AGENDA
    FA President Plumlee presented consent agenda items FA12-25 and FA 12-26 for approval. Candice Carter moved the consent agenda items. No discussion. The items were passed. 

    Agenda Item# 2- FA 12-25: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COEHS (Undergraduate)-(Foundations & Secondary Education): Course Changes (1 package)

    Agenda Item# 3- FA 12-26: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    BCH (Undergraduate)-(Nutrition & Dietetics, School of Nursing): Course Changes (3 packages) 
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list) (20 minutes to act immediately on or remove item)
    Agenda Item# 1- FA 12-24: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    CCB (Undergraduate)-(Accounting & Finance): New Courses (3 packages)
    Candice Carter moved the item.  No discussion.  The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 4- FA 12-27: Submitted by the Academic Standards Committee
    Non-attendance Grade Assignment
    Diane Tanner moved the item.  Judy Solano offered a friendly amendment to change the language in the first sentence which read “in which the students attended no classes” to read “in which the student did not attend any classes”.  Diane accepted the friendly amendment.  Cheryl Frolich asked for clarification on what to do about students who attend the first week and never attend again.  Those students will still receive a grade of F. No further discussion.  The item passed
  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    2012-2013 University Matriculation Calendar (Not included in the packet, click on the link)

    Patrick expressed his gratitude as outgoing FA President to the members of the Association for their support, and offered well-wishes to all of the incoming FA officers.  Patrick will continue to serve as President through the first week of August, at which point he will be heading into retirement.
  • ADJOURNMENT
    The meeting adjourned at 1:16 p.m.