Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Location: Schultz Hall, 9/1421

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 12:16 p.m. by FA President, Patrick Plumlee.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – February 2, 2012 (2 minutes)
    A motion was made by Jeff Harrison to approve the minutes from February 2, 2012
    (as posted on the Web).  The minutes were approved.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (5 minutes)
    •Faculty should have received an electronic ballot for the 2012-2014 Faculty Association President in their email inbox.  Voting ends March 7th at 5:00 p.m.
    •Standing and University Committee nominations will be taken from the floor today.
    •Campus Climate Survey Responses for Fall 2011 have been posted on the FA website Hotline.
    •The 23rd International Conference for College Teaching and Learning, hosted by Florida State College at Jacksonville, will be held Monday, April 9 through Friday, April 13 at the Marriott Sawgrass Resort. More information can be found on the following website: www.teachlearn.org.
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)
    Academic Programs Committee –Candice Carter
    The Committee met February 2nd and discussed ways to improve the Workflow System.  Many program changes were discussed at today’s March 1st Meeting.  There are three agenda items today: one from CCB (Graduate) for the addition of a new concentration, one from COEHS (Undergraduate) for the addition of a new minor & a degree major change, and one from COEHS (Graduate) for a degree major change & existing course change.  The next meeting is on Thursday, April 5 at 10:00 a.m. in 10/1130.

    Academic Standards Committee – Diane Tanner
    The Committee met February 17th where they had discussions about associate arts degree requirements, credit bearing undergraduate certificate programs, and academic misconduct.  The next meeting is on Friday, March 9 at 1:00 p.m. in Bldg 42/Rm 2004.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee – Peter Magyari
    The Committee met February 24th and discussed some of the faculty handbooks that are online and looked at best practices that could be implemented to enhance some of the other department faculty handbooks. Of special note, the departments in the Brooks College of Health held an appreciation lunch for their adjunct faculty last Wednesday, which is a great example of some of the best practices being conducted across campus.

    Budget Advisory Committee – Zornitza Prodanoff
    No report.

    Campus Technology Committee - Lauren Newton
    The Committee met Wednesday, February 15th where they continued their discussions of a possible pilot program for “Turn It In”.  The next meeting will be either Wednesday, March 21st or March 28th at 11:00 a.m. in 12/2405.

    Faculty Affairs Committee – Elinor Scheirer
    The Committee met Thursday, February 9th but did not achieve quorum.  They did have an informal discussion about the Campus Climate Survey results. The next meeting will be Thursday, March 8 at 12:30 p.m. in 57/3201.

    Faculty Enhancement Committee - Adel Boules
    The Committee met Tuesday, February 28th where they had discussions with Provost Workman, Associate Provost, and Dan Richard on a number of issues and questions that were presented to them.  The next meeting will be Tuesday, March 27 at 12:15 p.m. in 10/1106.

    Nominations & Elections Committee – Guy Yehuda

    The Committee met last Thursday, February 23, 2012 to finalize matters before the upcoming nomination deadlines.  The electronic online election for Faculty Association President starts March 1 and ends on March 7 at 5:00 p.m.  The candidates for President include Candice Carter and Gordon Rakita, the elected Vice President is Scott Hochwald (Caroline Guardino has withdrawn), and the elected Secretary is James Gleaton. Nominations were accepted from the floor for the Faculty Association Standing Committees and the University Committees.

    Faculty Association Standing Committees :
    Academic Programs Committee: A vacancy remains for CCEC
    Academic Standards Committee: Ellie Scheirer for At-Large
    Katharine Brown for CCEC (Katharine Brown stepped down from the remainder of her At-Large term to fill the CCEC opening)
    Adjunct Affairs Committee: Ellie Scheirer for COEHS
    Faculty Affairs Committee: Ellie Scheirer for At-Large
    Faculty Enhancement Committee: Barbara Tuck who is retiring will be replaced by Hilary Robbeloth
    Research Committee: Alexandra Schonning for CCEC
    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee: A vacancy remains for CCEC
    Support Services Committee: A vacancy remains for COAS. Ching-Hua Chuan for CCEC

    University Committees :
    Advisory Board for the Center of Student Media:  A vacancy remains for COAS-Communication
    Calendar Committee: A vacancy remains for CCEC
    Constitutional Jurisdiction Committee:  Kathy Robinson volunteered for At-Large
    General Education Council: A vacancy remains for COAS-Natural Sciences
    Intercollegiate Athletic Committee: A replacement is needed for Judy Solano for At-Large
    SGA Budget & Allocation Committee:  Mark Tumeo for At-Large
    Student Conduct Board:  Kathy Robinson volunteered for At-Large
    Undergraduate Studies Council:  Karthikeyan Umapathy for CCEC
    University Appeals Committee:  Layne Wallace for CCEC.  Vacancies remain for 2 alternate positions from COEHS and At-Large.

    Research Committee –Caroline Guardino
    The Committee met Tuesday, February 28th to work on revising the Research RFP. The next meeting is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, March 20th to continue these revisions.

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee –Kathy Robinson for Chris Brown
    The Committee met February 10 with Kathy Robinson to discuss the results from the Campus Climate Survey and potential benchmarks for future surveys.  The next meeting will be on Friday, March 9 at 12:00 noon in 50/2800 to discuss this further.

    Support Services Committee – Alan Harris (submitted written summary)
    The Committee met Thursday, February 23rd with Vince Smyth, Auxiliary Services Director, who presented updates on the activities of Auxiliary Services.  The next meeting is TBA.

    Executive Committee – Jeffrey Harrison
    The Committee met Tuesday, February 14th to set the agenda for this meeting.  Jeff shared some of the highlights and trends (both positive and negative) from the Campus Climate Survey.  A breakdown of the survey responses has been posted on the FA website. There were approximately 163 faculty respondents out of 580 that evaluated the importance vs. satisfaction (using a 5 point Likert Scale) in the following areas: University and college practices, departmental life, individual considerations, support services & resources, and campus community life.  Some of the low outcomes (scores lower than 3) for satisfaction include reward for services, reward for teaching & research, mentoring junior faculty, sufficient support for high quality graduate students, salary increases that relate fairly to performance, level of annual salary, and adequate time for research.  There were high satisfaction scores for support services from CIRT and the Library.  The next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 20th.
  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)
    President John Delaney
    UNF continues to receive positive feedback from hosting the debate on campus.  Also, UNF has recently received several designations from national entities (i.e. Kiplinger & Forbes) which are a reflection of the happenings on campus and the positive community perceptions of the University.  The budget situation has gone from bad to worse.  More information should be known within a week or so.  Fortunately, there is around $8 million in non-recurring reserves that can help soften the blow. The legislature has said that they plan on making this up next year which could be a sign that things may improve over the course of the year. More communication will come at a later point when they have a better feel for what the Legislature is going to commit.
    Patrick commented on the recent recognition of UNF donors.  There are a number of people at the local level who work very hard on behalf of the University and generously support what we do.

    Academic Affairs Provost & Vice President Mark Workman
    Provost Workman reaffirmed that alumni and friends of the community have made large endowments which does attest to the regard in which the University is held.  UNF has a lot to be proud of.  In light of budget uncertainties, there has been a freeze in department searches.  Chairs are currently in the process of uploading faculty evaluation data into MyWings.  When given the word, faculty will be able to log-in to their faculty portals and confirm the accuracy of the chair’s ratings.  This will avoid the problem encountered last year when there was three years of accumulated evaluation data that was not entirely correct. The BOG will be meeting at UNF March 21 and 22. These are open meetings that faculty are encouraged to attend. Some of our representatives will be meeting with Edward Waters College in a week or so to help them with some SACS issues.  The Provost would like to extend an invitation to the Faculty Association to have an open dialogue to discuss the Campus Climate Survey results in more detail.

    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen
    No report.  She is currently lobbying for both UNF and the BOG.  Condolences will be offered to Janet as her mother passed away last week.

    United Faculty of Florida – Cheryl Frohlich
    Cheryl thanked John Hatle for the growth in UFF and welcomed all the new members and encouraged those thinking of joining to do so.  As a result of this growth our senators at the state level have grown from 4 to 7.  Any faculty members who are union members may attend state meetings to hear from the entire body of universities and many junior colleges about their problems, successes, techniques used, etc.  Any who are interested should contact Cheryl (expenses are covered). The Department of Psychology has filed two grievances (one normal and one expedited) related to the number of courses that they are allowed to teach in the summer.  One other department currently has either a personality conflict or some other substantial issue that currently resides with President Delaney.  Any union members who would like to serve on the Bargaining Committee should contact Cheryl.  This person would also serve as a liaison between the Contract Committee, the Bargaining Committee and the general faculty.  As far as salary and bargaining, faculty will receive the same percentage for teaching in their annual evaluation regardless of the number of courses they teach.  One thing the union has suggested is to implement a course release system and increase the percentage for research if a faculty member only teaches a few courses.  The administration has indicated that trying to fund course releases could be problematic.  Union elections will be arising next month.  The law case on the 3% state retirement fund decision should be out later this week.  As soon as the decision is made, UFF will send out a memo.
  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)
    A written question from George Candler with regards to Faculty Web pages:
    The faculty list of webpages needs to be updated and current.  Is someone maintaining this and if so who should they talk to?
    Marianne Jaffee will handle this.

    David Courtwright: 
    There are many yard signs around campus that are quite ugly (particularly near the Starbucks).  With much effort and money having gone towards making the campus beautiful, would it be possible to have a reasonable zoning policy for these signs?
    Judy Solano indicated that there is already a signage policy.
    Shari Shuman: Student Affairs does have a policy that all signs should go through them; however, you are right in that every other foot repeating the same sign doesn’t get the message out any better.
    This question will be forwarded to Tom Serwatka who will interact with Student Affairs

    Judy Solano to Adjunct Affairs:  Are you aware that in the Chronicle of Higher Education that there was an article about a gentleman who posted a blog about best practices on campus for adjuncts?  He has been inundated with data from around the country.  This may be a good source of information for your committee.
    Peter will look into it.

    Caroline Guardino: Is there a way that faculty can receive a discount for performances, swimming classes, athletics?  At UNF we pay the same price as the public.
    Several responded that summer camps, the Child Development Center, and other events have offered faculty discounts.  Caroline indicated that in her experiences, she has paid the same as the public.
    This question will be forwarded to Tom Serwatka who will interact with the appropriate parties.
     
  • CONSENT AGENDA
    There are no consent agenda items for this meeting.
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list) (20 minutes to act immediately on or remove item)

    Agenda Item# 1- FA 12-10: Submitted by the Executive Committee
    Childhood Education Department Name Change Request

    A motion was made by Jeff Harrison to move the item.  There was some discussion and clarification as to what TESOL stands for.  No further discussion.  The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 2- FA 12-11: Submitted by the Faculty Association President
    2012-2013 Faculty Association Budget Proposals
    A motion was made by Jeff Harrison to move the item.  No discussion.  The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 3- FA 12-12: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee

    Coggin College of Business (Graduate)—Management Programs of Study (1 packet)
    A motion was made by Candice Carter to move the item. No discussion.  The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 4- FA 12-13: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    College of Education and Human Services (Undergraduate)-Childhood Education, Exceptional & Deaf Education. Programs of Study (2 packets)

    A motion was made by Candice Carter to move the item.  No discussion.  The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 5- FA 12-14: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    College of Education and Human Services (Graduate)-Childhood Education Course Changes & Programs of Study (2 packets)
      
    A motion was made by Candice Carter to move the item.  No further discussion.  The item passed

  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    1. Election of Faculty Association Officers (2012-2014)
    2. Faculty Association Standing and University Committee Nominations
    3. Faculty Awards Increases
    4. UNF Campus Climate Survey Results for Fall 2011
  • ADJOURNMENT
    A motion for adjournment was made by Kathy Robinson. The meeting adjourned at 1:12 p.m.