Minutes of Meeting

Faculty Association Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Location: Schultz Hall, 9/1421

Call to Order:

The meeting was called to order at 12:16 p.m. by FA President, Patrick Plumlee.
  • APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – February 2, 2012 (2 minutes)
    A motion was made by Jeff Harrison to approve the minutes from January 12, 2012 (as posted on the Web).  The minutes were approved.
  • ANNOUNCEMENTS (5 minutes)
    Nominations for the 2012-2014 Faculty Association Officers will be taken from the floor today.  Candidates should email to Cindy Chin a statement outlining their credentials and what they hope to accomplish as officers by no later than February 9, 2012.

    Standing and University Committee Vacancies for the 2012-2014 term are listed on the Faculty Association website-Hotline page.  Nominations will also be taken from the floor at the March FA meeting.

    Faculty Association Officers and Standing Committee charges are included in the agenda packet

    APC Workflow major program changes deadline is February 14, 2012 for the 2011-2012 Academic Year.

    The BOG has released its Annual Accountability Report (http://www.flbog.org/about/_doc/budget/System_Annual_Accountability_Report.pdf) and has published the statistics from the metrics used to assess the performance of various state institutions on its website (www.flbog.edu).

    Michael Kucsak from the Library introduced the new OneSearch tool and its various features which allows for a faster and more thorough search of the library’s catalog and many databases.

    Effective this year, there will be an increase in the number and the amounts of faculty awards.  The number of Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Awards will increase from 9-10, Outstanding Graduate Teaching Awards from 1-2, and Outstanding Scholarship Awards from 2-3.  Each of these awards will be increased from $2000 to $2500. Additionally, pending approval, a new faculty award for Community Engaged Scholarship has been created. Patrick thanked President Delaney, Provost Workman, and the Faculty Affairs Committee for all of their contributions and efforts in making this happen.
  • STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS (2 minutes per report)
    Academic Programs Committee –Candice Carter
    The Committee met today and had time to review the APC Workflow system.  In the near future, the Workflow system will be managed by a special group from ITS so a number of ideas were discussed on how to make the system more user-friendly and more time efficient for processing packages. The next meeting will be on Thursday, March 1 at 10:00 a.m.

    Academic Standards Committee – Diane Tanner
    The Committee met January 13 and will meet next on Friday, February 17 at 1:00 p.m. in 42/2004.  They plan to discuss two items: undergraduate certificate programs as they relate to undergraduate degree programs and academic misconduct.

    Adjunct Affairs Committee – Peter Magyari
    The Committee met January 27 and discussed a number of agenda items including the feedback received from the President & the Provost with regards to the proposed resolution for adjunct faculty compensation. The resolution was not approved due to the fact that the University does not have the resources to implement the resolution at this time.  However, the next time that raises are allocated to full-time faculty and staff, every effort will be made to address the compensation of adjunct faculty as well.  Peter thanked President Delaney and Provost Workman for their consideration of the resolution.  The Adjunct Affairs Committee also discussed its charge and ways to increase adjunct faculty representation.  The next meeting will be Friday, February 24 at 11:00 am in 39A/4136.

    Budget Advisory Committee – Zornitza Prodanoff
    The Committee will be meeting on Monday, February 13 at 1:30 p.m. in 10/1106 where they plan to conduct a series of meetings and conversations with the University budgetary officers.

    Campus Technology Committee - Lauren Newton
    The Committee met Wednesday, January 11 and will meet again on Monday, February 13 at
    3:00 p.m. in 12/2405.

    Faculty Affairs Committee – Elinor Scheirer
    The Committee met Thursday, January 12 and finalized the document for the new Outstanding Faculty Community Engaged Scholarship Award policy which is an agenda item today.  The next meeting will be Thursday, February 9.  Ongoing items include refining the language associated with the awards application process, increasing participation in faculty governance, and any other matters brought forth by the FA President.

    Faculty Enhancement Committee - Adel Boules
    The Committee met Tuesday, January 31 where the director of Faculty Enhancement gave an update. The meeting was then adjourned due to a lack of quorum. The next meeting is Tuesday, February 28 at 12:15 p.m. in 10/1106 where the Provost has been invited for a general discussion.

    Nominations & Elections Committee – Guy Yehuda
    The Committee met Friday, January 27 and completed the transfer of the chairship from Lian An to Guy Yehuda.  Nominations for President, Vice-President, & Secretary will be accepted from the floor at today’s Faculty Association Meeting.  There are currently two nominees for President—Candice Carter and Gordon Rakita, one nominee for VP—Scott Hochwald, and one nominee for Secretary—James Gleaton Nominations for officers were solicited from the floor:
    President: No additional nominees
    Vice-President: Caroline Guardino was nominated by Candice Carter.
    Secretary: No additional nominees.
    Electronic elections for the FA officers will take place at 9:00 AM, the same day of the March Faculty Association meeting.

    Research Committee –Caroline Guardino
    The Committee met Friday, January 27 with Dr. Workman to discuss issues related to the research funds and the funding process.  They are looking to revise and fine tune the RFP to keep the review process within the committee. They will discuss this more at the next meeting on Tuesday, February 28 at 1:30 p.m. in 57/3510.

    Strategic Planning Advisory Committee – Pingying Zhang
    The Committee met Friday, January 13 where they discussed how to measure faculty satisfaction. The next meeting will be Friday, February 10 at noon in 50/2500 where Kathy Robinson has been invited to discuss the Campus Climate Survey.

    Support Services Committee – Alan Harris
    The Committee met Friday, January 20 where Deb Miller provided updates from CIRT.  The next meeting should be sometime around the 3rd week of February.

    Executive Committee – Jeffrey Harrison
    The Committee met Tuesday, January 17 to set the agenda for this meeting.  The next meeting is onTuesday February 14 at 12:15 p.m. in the Faculty Commons in 10/1102.  Jeff highlighted additional statistics from the BOG’s Annual Accountability Report including enrollment numbers, production of degrees, statewide workforce production, graduation rates, funding per student FTE, etc. These are very important measures that will continue to be tracked on the System Dashboard over future years.
  • SPECIAL REPORTS (10 minutes)
    President John Delaney
    Several items to report about: (1) Note that some of the data presented on the BOG’s website contains errors which will hopefully be corrected soon.  (2) The Governor announced yesterday that he would veto any tuition increase.  If we are unable to get tuition increases, it will translate into significant budget cuts (approximately $6 million). (3) Many thanks to those who were involved in the special accommodations for last week’s debate.  There have been so many praises and accolades about UNF from Wolf Blitzer, the CNN staff, and many other parties. (4)  Some construction updates: the Annex at the College of Education for the Disability Resource center opened up over the holidays, the Biology Building should open sometime in February or March, the Fitness Center opening date has been pushed back to May or June due to construction delays, and the Cafeteria building should be opened in August.  This will be the last of new construction funds due to the economic climate. (5) There are two new committees currently being formed: (i) a Civility Committee to address concerns with faculty interaction with each other, within their departments, and with their administrators and (ii) a planning committee to discuss how the Faculty Commons could be used, budgetary needs, and various programming for it including mechanisms to keep retired faculty engaged. Please contact President Delaney, Cheryl Frolich, or Patrick Plumlee if you have an interest in serving in either of these committees.

    Academic Affairs Provost & Vice President Mark Workman
    Dovetailing on Patrick’s announcement about the changes to the faculty awards, note that awardees will receive their remuneration at the Convocation.

    Legislative Liaison Report - Janet Owen
    No report.

    United Faculty of Florida – Cheryl Frohlich
    The biggest current issue revolves around the interpretation of the contract with regards to summer teaching. UFF’s interpretation is that when assigning courses, one course is assigned to each full-time faculty member wanting to teach.  After going through the list, a second course may be assigned to full-time faculty as long as there is sufficient money. Only then can courses be assigned to adjuncts.  Apparently, the interpretation by the administration is not the same as UFF’s interpretation and consequently, one department has filed a grievance.  This department already had approved bylaws on summer school teaching which were incorporated into the contract.  In the past, the summer faculty teaching in this particular department would receive at least two courses and then it would cycle to adjuncts.  This year, they are only receiving one course and are claiming there will be as many as 40 adjuncts.  This is a definite grievance which will be filed shortly. A similar issue back in 2008 occurred within the College of Education. A grievance was filed by a new department (at the time) within the school pertaining to summer school teaching and their filed bylaws.  Apparently, nothing about their bylaws has been sent back to this department and they continue to operate without any bylaws. Just last week, the administration and UFF reviewed the numbers for the % adjuncts vs the % faculty.  Up until 2006, faculty were given two courses and the rest went to adjuncts.  However, in 2007 it was decided that faculty would be assigned one course and then the rest to adjuncts increasing the numbers to 60% adjunct: 40% faculty.   From 2008-2010 those numbers have dipped slightly to 50%:50%. This continues to be a growing issue that could possibly evolve into a class action suit for the entire school or per department. Efforts are currently being made to try and resolve this issue.

    Executive Director of Assessment--Judy Miller
    Faculty should have already received in their email inboxes the IDEA survey instruments for the Provost, deans, and some chairs. The information to be gained from these instruments is only as good as the response rate so please urge your colleagues to participate.  There is a widespread faculty concern on whether or not the responses are indeed anonymous.  The forms that are filled out and the data summary reports that are returned both contain elements that will maintain anonymity.  The forms for the Dean and the Provost do contain questions with general demographic information (which are reported back in the most general aggregated way); however, there is the option to not answer them.  Plus anytime there are fewer than five responses, the demographic subgroup is not reported.  The Chair evaluation form has no demographic data at all and anytime there are fewer than five responses no data is reported. Rest assured, that no UNF administrator will know who responded to the surveys and what was said (unless an open ended statement is made that identifies a faculty member). As far as the expectations for the number of surveys to complete, every full-time faculty member is asked to evaluate the Provost and the Dean every year and faculty in some departments are asked to evaluate their chair (chairs are evaluated on a 4 year cycle except for College of Education chairs which are evaluated yearly).  Thus, some faculty may have received an invitation to complete two surveys and others received three.  The surveys were initially emailed out yesterday and reminders will be sent in five day intervals until February 15 or up until the survey is completed.  Please bear in mind that if you have any negative comments to make, do so in a constructive, collegial manner which will, in turn, increase the likelihood to get serious attention and be acted on.
  • QUESTIONS & RESPONSES (10 minutes)

    None.

  • CONSENT AGENDA
    There are no consent agenda items for this meeting.
  • LEGISLATIVE ITEMS (5 minutes to reorder list) (20 minutes to act immediately on or remove item)

     Agenda Item# 1- FA 12-06: Submitted by the Executive Committee
    Exceptional Student & Deaf Education Department Name Change Request
    A motion was made by Jeff Harrison to move the item.  No further discussion.  The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 2- FA 12-07: Submitted by the Academic Programs Committee
    COAS-Undergraduate – (Philosophy & Religious Studies) : New Degree Major Program, New Courses,  Course Termination (1 package)            
    A motion was made by Candice Carter to move the item.  No further discussion.  The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 3- FA 12-08: Submitted by the Academic Standards Committee
    Grade Point Average Requirements for Limited Access Programs                        
    A motion was made by Diane Tanner to move the item. Diane made a friendly amendment to correct a typographical error.  The item passed.

    Agenda Item# 4- FA 12-09: Submitted by the Faculty Affairs Committee
    Proposal for a New Faculty Award (Outstanding Faculty Community Engaged Scholarship)


    A motion was made by Ellie Scheirer to move the item.  No further discussion.  The item passed.

  • INFORMATION ITEMS
    I. Faculty Association Officers (2012-2014) Nominations
    II. Faculty Association Standing and University Committee Nominations            
    III. Library Blurb- OneSearch            
    IV. Continuity of Instruction for Class Cancellations            
    V.  Special Report from Dr. Judith Miller, Executive Director of Assessment                       
    VI.  Research Grant Recommendations & Funding—2008-2011
  • ADJOURNMENT
    A motion for adjournment was made by Kathy Robinson. The meeting adjourned at 1:11 p.m.